It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Recruiting..THEN vs NOW! See how it has changed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hey guys. I posted a similar thread in BTS, but then saw that this had potential for discussion.

Back in 1994 I was preparing to graduate High School and make the biggest decision of my life at that time. My entire family (the males) all served the country in each of the military branches. My father was in the Army and finishing his 20 years at this time. Due to my familiarization of the Army I thought it would be the perfect option. Well, off to see the recruiter i went. I remember the asvab, I remember the flyers, posters, all the "war" stories, etc....but one thing hit me harder than anything else. A simple recruiting video that lasted less than two minutes. I remember them sticking in that big old VHS tape and telling me to watch it.

That video touched me to my inner core. The song on there I fell in love with and the video itself seemed like it was shot right there in my small hometown in PA. When that video ended, I signed the contract that day. 15 years later, today, I was sitting here at home and for some reason the song from that video popped into my head. I can tell you this, 15 years and I haven't forgotten one word to those lyrics, and I could replay that video in my head everyday. Well I decided to google the lyrics. Low and behold if someone didn't post that video.

I sat here at my desk and actually teared up. It took me back home for a brief moment. It took me back to a time that I can truly say was one of the best times of my life. I want to share that video with you now. Watch it, pay attention to it. I ask you to do this because in a minute I will post a current recruitment video. I want you to see how things have changed in a mere 15 years.

Here is the old video in which I am so glad I found:

Now that you watched that one. I then thought to myself. How has the motivating video's changed from my time to now? Well I found a bunch of current video's for the Army, but determined the theme in them was all pretty much the same. Here is the one I chose:

So ATS I ask you. What changes in mindset are you seeing? What focus change, if any, are you seeing?

***By the way, this is just an ARMY comparison...Sorry to all my brothers & sisters in uniform who serve/served in other branches. I am sure you have seen differences in the way your branch recruits as well...and please, share that***

RCWJ1975
75th Ranger Regiment, 2nd Ranger Battalion - RLTW
Ft. Lewis, WA
1995 - 2001

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

I love the Army, but I am getting tired of the changes they are making. Recruiting tools are getting pretty stupid. Remember the guy running through the desert with a ruck. He had his blouse off, dog tags hanging out and doing anything to make it look cool to run through the desert with 80 pounds on your back.

Now a new change in basic that will soon be implemented is that they will reduce the amount of PT and the soldiers will recieve more sleep.

In 10 years we will get the holy living crap kicked out of us.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
NOt sure if it pertains to the thread or not, but I feel like I have greater sympathy these days for people who are fleeing a communist regime or dictatorship. Not sure what refuge America might offer these days though.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Very interesting.

S & F

I thought this one was a little out there to say the least.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Berserker01
I love the Army, but I am getting tired of the changes they are making. Recruiting tools are getting pretty stupid. Remember the guy running through the desert with a ruck. He had his blouse off, dog tags hanging out and doing anything to make it look cool to run through the desert with 80 pounds on your back.

Now a new change in basic that will soon be implemented is that they will reduce the amount of PT and the soldiers will recieve more sleep.

In 10 years we will get the holy living crap kicked out of us.

The Army is not what it once was and I understand that, but the core values have changed, and thats what pisses me off the most.

I do remember that commercial...trust me, the change to ARMY OF ONE was NOT popular to those of us in at the time. Not to mention I have still have a bitter taste over the beret issues...

As for the new standards...the Military has to change to be more like a job, rather then military institution. SAD, but true....

link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It strikes me how the more current videos seem like video game commercials.

I'm sure that is no accident.

link   
I have seen both these ads. Both are very effective at getting their points across. Advertising and marketing evolves and the Military is on the cutting edge of everything. I think these ads show how great our Army is and at the same time shows how great their marketing team is too...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

It strikes me how the more current videos seem like video game commercials.

I'm sure that is no accident.

Exactly what I was going to say...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Good times thanks for the Find.... I joined in 2000 BIll look for th video and Post thanks...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
"This Beat Is Military - Hip Hop, Computer Games & The Military

Just thought I'd add to the equation.

Nothing like using a crack dealing, gang bangin, rapper to recruit soldiers...lol.

Sad part is the youth believe this guy is actually a "bad a@@" or represents soldiers in some aspect. Even though FIDDY CENT wouldn't be worth his own weight as a soldier, I will say his star power CAN, DOES, and WILL influence many....

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

"At this moment- We serve the nation"

I thought this was a bit weird, like saying their "service to" may be shifted from American control to another. Not saying citizens have control of their army or that they have control over America for that matter, but I thought it was a bit odd that their loyalites were regarded as dynamic and not static.

They don't show the bad side of war, disabled veterans, veterans with mental health issues, blood, or suffering. It's just a commerical funded by the American public with or without their consent.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
The Army is not what it once was and I understand that, but the core values have changed, and thats what pisses me off the most.

I do remember that commercial...trust me, the change to ARMY OF ONE was NOT popular to those of us in at the time. Not to mention I have still have a bitter taste over the beret issues...

As for the new standards...the Military has to change to be more like a job, rather then military institution. SAD, but true....

I earned my beret, and wore it proudly as crew and birds transitioned to the Airforce. We were still there as Army crew to fly Army missions in Airforce aircraft.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I don't like the new recruiting video, but at least it's a darned sight better than the recent commercials. You know the ones, the kid with nothing going for him decides to join the military for a free education, & his parents woefully wrestle with how they'd pay for it otherwise. Disgraceful.

The focus used to be on values, liberty, protecting those we love & preserving our way of life. The focus now is on ego-building & power (which inherently appeals to those with low self-esteem).

Rather a chicken/egg argument on the state of our nation & our military. That change to "ARMY of One" was ludicrous, & I personally don't ever recall the rest of the battalion being told that they could just head on home once Junior arrived on scene.

The military now is marketed like war is some kind of power game for thrill seekers. Where not only do you get to drive monster trucks & blow things up, but you get to travel the world & get a free education to boot.

Nothing about why, or even values; everything is "what's in it for me". Alas, we reap what we sow.

Edit to add: Thanks for the thread; this is something we should all be concerned with, & the "powers that be" ought to give a serious rethink to.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by AtlasShrugging]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I once thought the Army had honor and integrity. For seven years rising through the ranks I witnessed dishonor and rank taking the lions share of privilege.

Instead of counseling and teaching soldiers, I saw soldiers pawned off to the motor pool so the senior NCOs could concentrate on themselves.

In war I have seen NCOs hide behind soldiers and take the credit for fending off the enemy. Other senior NCOs knew, but he held the commanders respect so they were afraid to step forward. What happened to personal courage? As I went forward no one would back me up, to them I was not a team player.

Honor in the military? Pride and integrity? I feel ashamed at falling for such swill.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by oppaperclip]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

seeing that second video almost makes me want to reenlist, but as noted by other members here on ATS I have to agree that the standards that are set have been lowered to increase recruitment. Also reenlistment bonuses are no longer high enough to keep troops in so Civilian time for me in a few months yeah!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I should preface what I'm about to say by stating that I am a military brat (USAF), but have not (and cannot--even under a draft) serve in any branch. Now that we've got that disclaimer out of the way:

The main difference I see between the two videos is the focus of the films. While the first could be seen to the "layman" as nostalgic and falsely idyllic in painting images of a "hometown" that is seemingly happy all the time, it is those memories that have kept my friends who can serve somewhat "sane in the Sandbox". They certainly don't fight to preserve the bad memories they have of their hometowns, but rather, the idyllic moments.

The second video seems much more focused on convincing the recruit that they will personally become strong, without the emphasis on others. Certainly the military teaches (and requires) comradarie and a concern for others, but I don't see that emphasized in the second video very much at all. I see a point that "YOU can become better", regardless of your motivations for doing so.

If this comes across as disrespectful, please understand that's certainly not my intent. I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to the culture of the military, and don't understand certain facets of it, so perhaps the videos do not have the same meaning for me as what they were intended for.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Joining the army would be my 2nd last resort.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Bit off topic. Yesterday I met few soldiers who just finished their exercise here in CZ (I live near training area "Hradiste/Doupovske hory") from Belgium. They were training for their mission in Afghanistan. They were young, they didn't know for what they are fighting. It was really sad. Good guys/girls - why to trash them? Few of them will probably die, many of them will return with PTSD. Once again for what? Is our freedom in Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iran?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rotorwing
I earned my beret, and wore it proudly as crew and birds transitioned to the Airforce. We were still there as Army crew to fly Army missions in Airforce aircraft.

rotorwing...I am unsure if you took offense to my post, (the part about being bitter to losing our black beret), or if your just stating that your proud of your service? Let me know, cause if your mad at me for being bitter about what happened to the black beret, then we need to discuss it...

Either way thanks for your service!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join