It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Errrr school had rules... She didn't adhere so they all suffered.. I can only imagine the disspointment of those wee girls who made plans to be dashed because some asswipe thought she was it and wanted to make a point... But in the end of the day BIG DEAL... Im sure there are kids in Africa, ASia, South America who would love to slap that wee girl and swap places with her... Get some perspective... Some kids didnt get to dance in a pretty dress because some asshole wanted to make a point...

SO WHAT???

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

You can't wear any sort of religious symbolism

When has the ACLU tried to stop students from wearing religious symbols?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by litmuspaper]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by litmuspaper

You can't wear any sort of religious symbolism

When has the ACLU tried to stop students from wearing religious symbols?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by litmuspaper]

Asked and answered. You should try this yourself sometime ...

article

An Inver Grove Heights charter school accused of crossing the line between religion and public education is fighting back against the American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota.

Link not working right due to a ?, but any of you can also do a Google search on "aclu religion schools".

[edit on 3/11/2010 by centurion1211]

link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Errrr school had rules... She didn't adhere so they all suffered.. I can only imagine the disspointment of those wee girls who made plans to be dashed because some asswipe thought she was it and wanted to make a point...

You obviously haven't read this thread. The girl's constitutional rights were the reason that the prom was canceled. The SCHOOL BOARD would rather punish the whole class than let this girl have her rights. She didn't cause this. The SB did.

But in the end of the day BIG DEAL...

Erosion of rights? Damn right that's a big deal.

link   
reply to post by litmuspaper

Yawnnnnnn...... I think I have already expelled too much energy even writing about something so pathetic and trivial......

In the end of the day I have way more important things to worry about than crap like this...

So does the average American..

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The article doesn't mention the ACLU stopping students from wearing religious symbols.

It doesn't seem like that's what they "attacked" the school for, based on your source.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

We must be fair, we must be fair, we must be fair... even if we must burn all reality to do it.

"Rights" is such an absolute term. It implies that only 1 context exists for all things, and only 1 solution exists, and this same 1 solution should be applied to all contexts.

One area I differ with conservatives is the idea that there is an absolute, right, moral, correct 1 way for us all to live. Liberals have the same idea, but their 1 way is many ways, which is equally dysfunctional. In fact, I laugh at both parties for their wholesale ignorance of history and philosophy. "The 1 way, man!!! It's the truth and the light!!!" -- more likely a camouflaged control mechanism. But I digress.

We who care about living in a nice place not constantly divided by conflict would like a resolution.

Mine is simple. Some parts of town are sodomy-friendly, and others are not. Any other solution is oppression to one or more groups.

Freedom for all!

www.corrupt.org...

Mod edited: Added external tags, source, and trimmed content. Please review link for full article.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/12/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

So does the average American..

Yeah, again, I don't see anyone disputing that.

That doesn’t mean people aren’t interested in discussing this topic.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The right to be a Lesbian? Errrrr no... Just the right to be a snotty git who thinks they are better and more EQUAL than anyone else

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Obviously got too much time on their hands then....

Oh well.... The world will still turn

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Obviously got too much time on their hands then....

Oh well.... The world will still turn

You've made over three posts in this thread, two of which were pointing out how useless this thread is.

Who has too much time on their hands?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The right to be a Lesbian? Errrrr no... Just the right to be a snotty git who thinks they are better and more EQUAL than anyone else

That contains no logic at all. She IS a lesbian, she needs no rights to be so. SHE was standing up for her rights, rightfully so. Who was "snotty"? Certainly not her. She was within her rights. The school was also within their rights to cancel the prom. THEY punished everyone else because their snotty attitude would not acquiesce to her rights. So, we can see that it's the SB that's being snotty.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Imagining what it is like to be someone other than oneself is at the core of our humanity. It is the essence of compassion, and it is the beginning of morality. - Ian McEwan

Descended from Christianity, and convenient for commerce, this is humanism at its core. We must not be selfish as individuals; we must see it from the other guy's view, and as a result acquiesce to his demands.

Never mind that this becomes a race to the lowest common denominator, because whoever comes up with a new demand now wields the power of making others yield to them.

www.corrupt.org...

Mod edited: Added external tags, source, and trimmed content. Please review link for full article.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/12/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
This is a democracy where the majority is supposed to rule.

No it's not. This is a representative republic, where the rights of ALL are (supposed to be) protected and the majority is not permitted to rule the minority.

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)." - Ayn Rand

This is a very sad story. If I had been her, I think I would have just worn a dress and gone to the dance, but it's good to see her standing up for her rights.

This kind of thing is going to be happening more and more. The people who resist it are going to have a fight on their hands. Homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted and those who have problems with it are just going to have to deal with it. It's kind of exciting.

[edit on 3/11/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211This is a democracy where the majority is supposed to rule. The rights of many don't get trumped by the rights of one.

That's true except if it infringes on 1.) Political correctness or 2.) The Gay/Lesbian community.

It seems that everyone around here thinks that because there is either a gay man or woman involved, that we should just have to shut up, put democracy on hold and let them do whatever they please.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Lets face it, she is just a normal wee teenager who wants to make a ripple and be center of attention... Her sexuality is of no consequence.. So what if she is a lesbian? Big deal.... I suspect that there isnt much else that is interesting to this girl except that she is gay... Much like a lot of gays who have to express that in the first 5 minuets of meeting them... Sooo bloody what???.... You are gay.... Who gives a crap???

Being gay doesnt make you special... Its just a sexual preference... Its what you do outside of the bedroom that counts, and if that is breaking rules because of who you sleep with then maybe this is a good thing for her... We all have to follow stupid rules gay or straight....

But I WILL concede that the school should lighten up a little, there was no need to spoil everyones fun, and maybe they should gt with the times.. Maybe it would take away the thunder of self absorbed idiots...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
the good old american Taliban at it again. Hate comes in all forms and has to be challenged at every stage of life. Not sure we will ever rid humanities soul of the fear, racism and bigotry that poison our existence, but we have to keep trying. The sad fact is that change doesn’t happen overnight. We usually have to sit around wait on the older generation to die off.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot to end with something sarcastic so here we go. When it comes to relationships who better to tell us who and how to love than our government?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by zerotime]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Last time I checked America was a constitutional republic with "god" given rights that no one is allowed to take away. Even if it a vast majority believe otherwise, they can never be infringed upon or voted away. This girl was merely showing the double standard of attire and the backwards thinking that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to pursue happiness like typical heterosexuals.

I'm not for special treatment or special interest, I'm for doing whats just and right.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Which right is it that the ACLU claims is being inflicted upon?

The right to publicly express your sexuality?

I'm sorry to say, I am missing the point.

This is a matter between a teenager and the local school board elevated to public spectacle. no?

It is an intellectual challenge to understand why exactly this evokes the inclination to expect that communities should have a code of conduct imposed upon them.

There is no doubt that canceling the Prom is a bad solution to a non-existent problem for most, because we generally are not inclined to judge people based on their choice of lifestyle. But apparently, there are those in the community who accept the 'choice' to prohibit public displays of (what they deem is) non-heterosexual characteristics. The entire idea is so parochial as to be laughable.

And that is precisely what the gay community should be doing. Laughing.

That would solve this problem immediately and without grief.

Instead this will be confabulated by ideologues who insist that there are differences between people who should be focusing on community and understanding their neighbors. And the media will (as is) be slopping up the glorious 'righteous' angle that fuels the fires of ignorant zealotry.

This is a side-show. Small-time politics in a small-minded place that struggles against the inevitable human reality, that we are all equal, always, whether your favorite religious and political celebrity leaders want to fight about it or not. It is impossible to control people, we should stop trying... and that works both ways.

This should have been handled by responsible adults through reason. Someone is exploiting this...

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I believe, or at least I see this as a problem of discrimination - equal rights. The prom is a social dance and the students get to take a date. As long as the dates are male / female no one has a problem. However, as soon as the dates become male / male or female / female then the school doesn't like it. And because they don't like it the school creates rules against it or bans it but that doesn't make it right or legal. It is simple. The people in the community do not like gay people. The articles states it clearly....

"It's a small town in Mississippi, and it's run by an older generation with money. Most of them are more conservative and they don't agree with it, [lesbianism]"

"Southside Baptist Church Pastor Bobby Crenshaw said he's seen the South portrayed as "backwards" on Web sites discussing the issue, "but a lot more people here have biblically based values."

And there you have it in a nutshell. These people have "bibically based values" whatever the hell that means huh? I guess they still stone nonmarried virgins and put people to death who get divorced or support rape if the man is willing to marry the woman he rapes. Probably not but the funny thing about Christians is they have a way of hand picking the bible laws they like and forget the rest that would effect them.

Religion / big government / intolerance / checkmate

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join