It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Personally, I find anyone comparing this to Rosa Parks offensive FTR.

Peace

Please elaborate.

Is discrimnation OK as long as it is based on sexual orientation as opposed to ethnicity or skin color?

How about religious beliefs? Economic status? Political views?

Under what circumstances is it acceptable to tell someone that they don't deserve the same rights and opportunties as everyone else?

Just curious as to how you view the world.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar02

Well you know what they say....
I actually geting pair pretty well at the moment. Thanks for asking.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I'm sorry...I'd love to know what you said, in all honesty, no sarcasm here...but I just cannot decipher what you were trying to say...and no, i don't "know what they say". Please feel free to enlighten me though...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Im suprised about how many mods on here are pro homoseuality. I think it might be a conspiracy within itself.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by niteboy82

Im suprised about how many mods on here are pro homoseuality. I think it might be a conspiracy within itself.

It's more like we know what the Constitution says and we are not looking at this issue with ANY colored glasses. Deny Ignorance, remember?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I apologize for the spelling. one handed typing is not my specialty. I said i am getting paid rather well right now and im on the internet. What they say is Rules are made to be broken.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

So where in the constitution does it say that if a schoolboard makes a rule that only same sex couples are to attend a prom, its ok to go if your going openly gay?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!Im suprised about how many mods on here are pro homoseuality. I think it might be a conspiracy within itself.

Well, I can only speak for myself here, but yeah, I'm definitely pro-homosexuality.

I guess it would be hard to say I'm anti-homosexuality, really, but what would it matter if someone was? Would it still be a conspiracy and what conspiracy are you suggesting might be occurring?

[edit on 3/11/10 by niteboy82]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

That was the most picture perfect response I could have ever anticipated. Did you just say "rules are made to be broken"? Did you just prove me right with your own words?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by intrepid

So where in the constitution does it say that if a schoolboard makes a rule that only same sex couples are to attend a prom, its ok to go if your going openly gay?

You're going to have to explain that. It make no sense.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

How about a quote from the Declaration of Independence instead:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

YEa they are made to be broken. I said it. But that dosent mean you can start crying when you get bit for breaking them.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yes but Captain Spock said: "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" and he died!! That young lady didn't die did she? (She mighta, had another lesbian showed up in the same tuxedo!!)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

So what if it makes me unhappy to have this "gay agenda" cramed down my neck all the time. Does that mean that we are both right?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

So what if it makes me unhappy to have this "gay agenda" cramed down my neck all the time.

Whoa, your discomfort matters more than the rights of millions of gay people?

Does that mean that we are both right?

No.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

So what if it makes me unhappy to have this "gay agenda" cramed down my neck all the time. Does that mean that we are both right?

There is a right and there is a wrong here. Let's break it down past all the bureaucracies and get right to the heart of it shall we?

Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself.

Was that practiced and if not then who broke that one?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Late to the party, but interested in making a comment here....

There are several core issues being debated here, some of which are (in my opinion) beside the point of the OP (assuming the title is the defining element "Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy").

First and foremost is that societal constraints and cultural norms are not subject to 'natural law.' If a people collectively wish to impose a policy on their community, it is up to the community to change it, should they so desire.

What is or isn't natural about this person's behavioral choices are outside of our ability to control; and as a nation, we are generally committed to the concept that such matters are not subject to government rule unless they represent meaningful danger to others.

The second point I would like to make is that to live within a society one must be willing to abide by its constraints, and we have social institutions and legal constructs to challenge those we wish to reject or change. So this does not amount to some monumental example of institutionalized homophobia. It is a remnant of a different culture that has yet to be addressed by the people of Mississippi, by choice or otherwise.

The third point I would like to make is that this young lady (is that misogynistic to say?) is pursuing a rather aggressively disruptive activist course of action. As Frederick Douglas once said to a young admirer who wanted to make a difference in the world, "Agitate, agitate!" Logic dictates that agitation of the status quo will inevitably be ... agitating. Mission accomplished.

The fourth point (are we tired yet?) is that we are talking about POLICY which is often misrepresented by officiates and office drones as "law". It is not law. The escalation of this event into a national spectacle was avoidable, but evidently, a matter of someone's desire to be politically relevant. It may have been the girl, it may have been the school board, but in either case it is the business of Mississippi either way.

If the school was to have hosted this prom, what would have been the net result? The tragic forbearance of a policy that belongs in the history books?
Had the girl not been admitted because of her attire or companion, what would it have been, a homophobic-frenzy holocaust?

The drama is a bit over the top.

If I had been a class-mate I personally would have asked her why she had to exacerbate this issue to the point of excluding everyone from the prom? Perhaps she could have convinced me that it was a worthwhile cause - maybe not. Some seem inclined to characterize this as student activism. I am disinclined to accept the net result as anything other than a Jerry Springeresque spectacle.

I am certain the lawyers will use their media resources to elevate the friction. It enhances their political relevance.

But in the end, a bunch of kids who would have liked to have partied as they planned have to forgo that luxury. Which is what a prom is. A luxury. You know, the kids who can't afford nice clothes and tuxes have to go without those luxuries all the time... who weeps for them? Irrelevant I know...

But really people, will we remember this 'travesty' of intransigent policy worship in 100 years? Will she define her life based upon her insistence on the apparent monumental importance of wearing a tux and holding her girlfriend's hand for a few hours during a party?

I expect that the things that matter about life rarely reveal themselves at a prom. This is not an issue upon which people should divide a community.

However, the damage is done, and the young lady is probably very well received because of the attention it brings to those who have a larger agenda.

/rambling off

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

But how is it being crammed down your throat?

In what manner should gays exist as to not "cram" their agenda down your neck? Silence, like others advocate?

Or I guess, staying in the closet?

Dont ask dont tell?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Wait, huh? How did she start crying? Because she asked for assistance in a matter which could potentially turn into a legal battle or a re-writing of the schools policies? Do you think one teenage high school girl can stand up to a school board full of agenda-filled people?

She wanted to take her gf to the prom. Just like I took my gf, just like my brother took his and this should be NO different in any way. Welcome to 2010

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join