It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian archaeologists uncover 40,000-year-old site

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
. . . .
Look at the various indigenous species of Australia... They are freaky, from a naturalist's point of view, like a population isolated and left to its own devices of evolution for millions of years. Okay? Are you with me, mate? Australia is like a whole continent of Island Evolution, separated from the rest of the world by continuous tectonic upheavals.

So there's a concentration of species, there's inbreeding, evolution takes a queer turn on itself on a massive scale, and very peculiar animals are the result, right? ("peculiar" relative to the rest of the species on the planet)

What is Humankind if not a VERY PECULIAR animal? We're freaky, from the naturalist perspective. Totally freaky. The MOST FREAKY animal EVER.

That's Human beings. We're the freaks that somehow exploded out upon the earth from a remote and isolated breeding ground. Which might have been in Australia, eh?

As one of them sheilas wot growed up under the gum trees, I forever knowed the true home of A-dam and Eave was the Aussie outback. Where better to hide the long-dead roots of that tree of knowledge than in the most lonely, god-forsaken desert of all?

To this day settlers in the outback commemorate them in their traditions.
The most holey site in the outback is still known of as A-dam. And our outback homes still live under the protection of strong, wide Eaves, otherwise known of as verandas.

However I take issue with you calling our fauna freaky. There is nothing odd about a bounding marsupial that actually creates, rather then loses, energy when it jumps.

There is nothing odd about a warm and furry duck-billed egg-layer that possesses deadly spines for the sole purpose of killing others of its own kind.

There is nothing freaky about a shy but beautiful fan-tailed bird that can convincingly imitate a lorry, a chainsaw, or the sound of any other denizen of the bush.

There is nothing freaky about a possum which shrieks curses like an inebriated Aussie politician or screams like a tortured baby outside your window or in your attic.

There is nothing freaky about a band of pink galahs which choose a particular person to harass, and learn that person's schedule, meeting him and joyfully pooping on him each day, then flapping off loudly laughing at his discomfort.

Our animals make sense. As much sense as I do!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
What makes the aboriginal 'dreamtime' stories any more real than Christianity? Doesn't seem logical to believe in one myth and not the other. Unless you are guided by faith.

Why can't there be some truth in both?

(Speaking as a christian buddhist hindu sceptic)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Oh harte, I always see you inject your thoughts into these types of threads with nothing but disdain. If you have an opinion why not share it without acting hoighty.

Had you read properly you would see that I didn't say she discovered Hueyatlaco. I said she was a geologist. . . you know studying the earth and doing things like dating.

You seem to make it your goal to act like your opinions are end alls. You do it all over the ancient civ board. If you hate everything discussed here so much why even bother?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
What makes the aboriginal 'dreamtime' stories any more real than Christianity? Doesn't seem logical to believe in one myth and not the other. Unless you are guided by faith.

Believing the stories as "literal" misses the point of the mythologies. The stories have deep metaphorical insights into the human mindset and sociological structure of the peoples that generated & perpetuate the stories.

Little Red Riding Hood may not have ever actually happened, but it tells children a very important message/warning about "monsters" that may appear as your adult relatives (incestuous pedophiles).

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

I am just catching up on the thread so if this info caught up to you already, forgive me. The American Abo's did not use the wheel either.
Another interesting factor is that the rate of alcohol consumption is very similar also.
Separate human development like this has inspired a thread I posted here on ATS on measuring this aspect.
A couple quick reasons. Lack of a large agrarian culture until late dates.
Lack of draft animals. Lots of land and few people. Defiantly a neat subject.
I will post some things I have learned about ancient Australia if I don't see them as I progress through the thread.
One of the coolest is hand prints a mile or so deep in a cave.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
Oh harte, I always see you inject your thoughts into these types of threads with nothing but disdain. If you have an opinion why not share it without acting hoighty.

Do you mean hoity or haughty?

I mean, both do apply, I was just wondering which you meant.

If you really want an answer to why, please note that I've addressed this Hueyatlaco topic, and in particular Steen-McIntyre's "ruined" career many times before here and elsewhere. The first thirty (or so) times, my posts contained considerably less hoit.

Had you read properly you would see that I didn't say she discovered Hueyatlaco. I said she was a geologist. . . you know studying the earth and doing things like dating.

Yes, you did. But the source you quoted (wiki) has more than enough information on that page (or links to other pages) for anyone to see that what you implied was simply not the case.

And it was you (not wiki) making the claim that her "career was ruined" when, in fact, it was not.

IMO, if she had not been so "hoighty" (as you rightly accuse me of,) her career would be more successful.

After all, she's still presenting on this (40 years later) - an archaeological site - as a geologist.

She should team up with the archaeology team that has been looking into this ever since Mexico opened the site back up. They probably don't want her, though.

You seem to make it your goal to act like your opinions are end alls. You do it all over the ancient civ board.

My opinions are not really opinions at all, they are the result of my own research and are by and large factual, not opinion-based.

You, who parrotted the lie about Steen McIntyre's "career" ruination, have little standing to question the "end-all-ness" of my posts.

If you hate everything discussed here so much why even bother?

I am trying to place the facts of a situation into threads concerning that particular situation as near to the bogus posts about the situation as possible so as to provide source material that the ignorant can consult rather than let them be copmpletely misled by the naivete (or felonius leanings) of the one who posted the fringe hooey.

I was once myself one of the ignorant, in search of both sides of all these silly tales. As I'm sure you know, it is far more difficult to find the "mainstream" side of the tale than the "fringe" side - which is copied and pasted all over the internet - mostly on websites about hollow Earth, planet X, 2012 and Batboy.

It is my hope that I can make it at least a small amount easier for someone that is ignorant (like I was) to, in the future, turn up a balanced view of, say, the Coso artifact, or the Dropa Stones. Or flash frozen mammoths, or Atlantis, or vimanas, or negroid olmecs, or egyptian helicopters, or precolumbian airplanes, or pharoah's lightbulbs, or monoatomic powder white gold, or Ramtha, or lemuria, or hollow earth, or crystal skulls, or ...

Well, you know what I mean.

That's why.

Though I often wonder why I try. There's not many of us left here at ATS. I'll have to leave soon, or suffer a breakdown caused by the level of stupidity I endure here in my often vain effort to, at a minimum, make people really think, and, ideally, educate someone.

But, thanks for asking.

Harte

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The question though harte is how many minds have you swayed by being condescending and arrogant?

You could be right about everything but your tone is going to turn so many people off to your thoughts. Surely you know this. . .

Flies and honey and that whole mess you know.

I appreciate and respect your opinions and time taken to reply to my thread. Why can't you have the same respect and generaly calm tone?

Do you read threads that go against your beliefs and then just start fuming at your desk?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by SaturnFX
oh boy, the jesus freaks aren't going to like this news...

how can you have a 40k year old site in a 6k year old universe

It's a shame you have to carry the extra load around with you. Many of us Jesus Freaks believe in evolution and see no conflict. Created from the dust and evolved go real well together. Imagine that.

How about you judge us individually and stop with the childish name calling and unsolicited attacks? Your on the Ancient & Lost Civilization Forum. Perhaps you did not notice? Did you notice the contradictions in the OP? What's your opinion on that?

Do you consider yourself a "Jesus Freak" or a follower?

Because, the person you responded to has a point, and most "Jesus Freaks" don't come close to entertaining evolution as an option.

I grew up Methodist. And let me tell you, there's not much room in evolution for the majority of the Christian faith.

So...you're simply an anomaly...that's all.

If you guys are trying to make connections between Dream time legend
and Genesis it is quite impossible to connect that legend to Christians.
Have you all forgot that- that invention is strictly Hebrew, All though there are many other similar legends through the world.
This phenomena I contend is brought about by that particular phase of human development,

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
People like Harte are needed here to keep us all grounded. Im sure they dont post a reply till they are as sure as they can be on a topic.
It would be easy to get carried away if there wasnt an anchor every now and then. If what you post can stand up to the people who are straight up but scepticle(sp?) and provide another point of view, I know Im here to hunt for the TRUTH the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Besides Im sure THEY all want the truth no matter what it is and when its shown will accept it.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ITSALLGOOD
People like Harte are needed here to keep us all grounded.

This is really the gist of it.

Let me apologize in advance for all my rude posts that are no doubt upcoming.

I'm frustrated by peoples determination to believe whatever they want to believe regardless of the evidence in hand, that's all.

Im sure they dont post a reply till they are as sure as they can be on a topic.

I try very hard to be sure that this is the case. Much, much harder than, say, a poster that comes right after me and states that Niburu will be here in a couple of years.

It would be easy to get carried away if there wasnt an anchor every now and then.

Evidence that ATS has a sore need for such anchorage is available in every thread. But I will agree that others (Kandinski, Phage, Byrd come to mind) are far more gentle with their delivery than I am. I've asked Byrd how she can do it a couple of times.

If what you post can stand up to the people who are straight up but scepticle(sp?) and provide another point of view, I know Im here to hunt for the TRUTH the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Besides Im sure THEY all want the truth no matter what it is and when its shown will accept it.

Thank you very much for that, ITSALLGOOD.

Unfortunately, I fear that you are in the minority at this site. At least, in this section.

Harte

[edit on 3/12/2010 by Harte]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm not very religious and I know this is off topic, but where in christianity does it state the whole "universe" was built in 6000 years?

[edit on 10-3-2010 by NoJoker13]

actually it says 7000 years...go read it for urself

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo

reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm not very religious and I know this is off topic, but where in christianity does it state the whole "universe" was built in 6000 years?

[edit on 10-3-2010 by NoJoker13]

"Actually,"
"it" says no such thing.

Depending, of course, on what "it" is.

Harte

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo

... where in christianity does it state the whole "universe" was built in 6000 years?

Um, no, "it" — if you're talking about the Bible — says nothing of the kind.

The "calculation" that causes a minority of fundamentalists to maintain that the world is only about 6000 years old was proposed by James Ussher, an Irish Archbishop, in the 1600s. He arrived at this age by counting the generations actually listed in the Bible, as well as the extraordinary ages of some people mentioned in the Bible, and adding it all together.

Of course, this thoroughly overlooked the fact that the "books" of the Bible are not in chronological order. The Book of Job, for instance, is the oldest book of the Old Testament, far older than Genesis.

These "books" were compiled completely out of sequence, you see, and those who compiled the Bible omitted many contemporaneous "books" that pertain directly to the Bible's continuity, so you can't add up the events and ages mentioned within the modern Bible and arrive at the age of the Earth.

As I mentioned earlier, no Christian that I know seriously believes the Earth is only 6000 years old... That's ridiculous. Most Christians and Jews abandoned the Ussher Chronology well over a hundred years ago.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/12/2010 by Doc Velocity]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join