It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So many large Chile/Argentina earthquakes may indicate major thrust event

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just LOOK at this:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

So many large earthquakes in such a short period at a very minimum constitutes a pretty serious swarm. But the problem is where this is occurring, which is along a subduction zone.

I've never seen anything quite like this. These "aftershocks" are so large and so frequent, I really have to question WTF is going on here. While all eyes stay glued to the incoming tsunamis (which may not be that serious- yet), I 'd really hate to miss the forest by staring at a single tree. THE WORST MAY BE YET TO COME.

Look at this:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

There has already been one 6.9 "aftershock!".

That's abnormally large for a mere aftershock. But what is even worse is the sheer quantity, and large magnitude of these quakes, which don't seem to be subsiding. This could get extremely serious if this continues, and that plate makes a major move. But it might subside. We'll see.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I seriously hope your premise is wrong.. that would be dreadful for the region... and a scary thought.

Well, I hope the casualties are at a minimum and nothing worse happens in the region..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well yeah, I hope so too. But what I am really hoping doesn't happen may have just started. I am figuring if there is a plate that is moving, it would be the South American Plate. And if that's the case, then we will likely see earthquakes on other edges of this plate.

And guess what just happened?

A 5.4 just now on the northeastern edge of the South American Plate!

Here's the quake:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

and refresh or just click this link, and you will see it in red right now. Right on the edge of the South American Plate:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I seriously hope this thing isn't planning a major move- this could get ugly faster than humanity can keep up.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Jeeeees....

I normally dont drink but i may have a few today.

I'm just beside myself!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If such a thing happens, do you know have any kind of gut feeling as to what level of damage would it bring to the region?

I only ask as until now I have never thought of such a thing actually happening..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Easy there dg, this is just your friendly neighborhood speculator, doing what I probably shouldn't, which is speculate.

But damn! Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?

reply to post by thoughtsfull

Umm, no, I have no idea, as that would depend on the amount and direction of the movement. But if it did happen, if they think a 6 foot wave is trouble, this would make that look like a ripple from a pebble.

But you can bet that I've got every station I could get my speculative hands on around the South American Plate up and running in GEE right now, just in case.

[edit on Sat Feb 27th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
In Brazil there is a Catholic prophet named Pedro who claims to speak with the Virgin Mary. He said that "the Land of Mountains" would suffer, and then Haiti had its earthquake (it is called "the Land of Mountains" the way Texas is called the Lone Star State).

He recently prophesied that Chile would suffer devastating events, and now these earthquakes.

He also speaks of the Old Mountain and events surrounding the Old Mountain shocking the world. There is Stara Planina in Bulgaria, but I think the Old Mountain is the mountainous area upon which Macchu Picchu is built. Although my Brazilian Portuguese is limited, I think he said that the Old Mountain would collapse. -- but even if I got that sense wrong, definitely Pedro said that events happening to the Old Mountain would shock the world who would not be prepared for it.

I think it was another Catholic seer who said a new continent would arise from the waters to the west of Peru and Chile revealing ancient cities etc.

I offer these thoughts because the Chile earthquake and aftershocks are directing the news media to focus on tsunamis when the real story is still happening in the Andes.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I wasn't sure, but my guess is the kind of devastation was are talking about is almost incomprehensible.. The suffering in Haiti was bad enough...

Still, tho everyone seems to be expecting something.. I can't help but wonder if humanity is picking up a shift in mother nature and explaining it away seeds of man made doom..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I've heard similar and read of prophecies in the past, usually the outcome of a new land springing forth is that my part of the world sinks below the waves, so to be honest I and everyone else harmed in the process would rather those things not come true..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is captivating, live shot of the tsunami about to hit....water just starting to recede.... With live narration. I am fixated:

hitsunami.info...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

So many large earthquakes in such a short period at a very minimum constitutes a pretty serious swarm. But the problem is where this is occurring, which is along a subduction zone.

I've never seen anything quite like this. These "aftershocks" are so large and so frequent, I really have to question WTF is going on here.

Well basically you're seeing what normally happens when a big quake occurs along a major subduction zone. Events like this in Chile are, sadly, not exceptional - indeed the region witnessed the biggest earthquake in history some years ago

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Where did you hear/read this?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Chile is well known most dangerous earthquake area in the world. There are many documentaries. studies and papers about this. All of them says that it´s only matter of time when some major event will happen. Massive earthquake with massive landslide causing massive tsunamis.

And more than sixty 5+ earthquakes in one day is really a lot.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
also read a prediction on ATS big event is the 28th not today. we shall see, it was a prediction and a time wave zero coralation. watching three live feeds for hawaii beaches.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
S & F

I have a heavy appreciation for your EQ knowledge, so to read your post made me think a whole lot more about all of this.

Bumping this back up to the top. I think it is VERY relevant.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks west.

I am now pickup up in GEE an earthquake in or near Ecuador, which again, sits right on the edge of the South American Plate! We'll have to wait till the USGS posts this, if it's big enough (I don't think it was that big- maybe a 4 or 5, if that), because I just don't have enough stations in GEE up in that area to make any headway of it.

But if that quake epicenters near the Ecuador coast somewhere, on the edge of the Plate, then it's just one more thing to lend credence to my crazy theory here.

And in the meantime, the aftershocks from the big one still continue like crazy all over the Chile area anywhere around the original epicenter:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

ETA: Yup. (sorry, I meant to say Equador, not Peru), and here it is, a 5.3 very close to the coast:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

shows up here too:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

ETA #2: To be clearer, what I am suggesting with this is that the South American Plate may be making a move. And if this is true, any countries in South America are going to be at considerable risk. Brazil had better watch out!

[edit on Sun Feb 28th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It was Edgar Cayce who said that cities would rise up out of the sea.

"Cayce revealed that new land will appear in 1968 or 1969 off the east coast of North America, the so-called "rising of Atlantis".

It was in that timeframe that the Bimini Road was discovered in the Atlantic Ocean. Whether this is actually a road or natural, geologic erosion is being hotly debated. Many people believe this to be the actual portion of Atlantis that Cayce was referring to.

Cayce maintained that Atlantis was an ancient civilization that was technologically superior to even our own and that its last surviving islands have disappeared somewhere in the Atlantic ocean some ten thousand years ago."

"Cayce predicted changes to the Earth surface to begin some time between 1958 and 1998. The cause of these dramatic Earth changes will be the shift in the world's magnetic poles around the year 2000. Cayce predicted that when this pole shift occurs it would begin reversals in the world's climate so that:

"..where there has been a frigid or semi-tropical climate, there will be a more tropical one, and moss and fern will grow."

Cayce's prediction of a pole shift occurred in 1998. According to NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, in 1998 something changed the Earth's gravitational field which moved the magnetic poles closer together. The NASA article explained that as the ice on the poles melted, ocean currents moved water toward the equator, which factors researchers believe to be partly responsible, in conjunction with shifts in atmospheric patterns, for this ongoing shift in the Earth's magnetic field. This NASA finding affirms Cayce's prediction of a pole shift."

And this is just darn interesting stuff about Cayce's predictions:

"There is a growing sense that volcanic activity and the quaking shifts of the massive tectonic plates of the Earth are interconnected around the planet. When an earthquake or eruption occurs in one part of the planet, it is followed by an eruption or quake in another part, sometimes on the opposite side of the planet. Cayce’s visions seem to confirm this. For example, he predicted that when we see noticeable eruptions in the long-quiet volcanoes of Vesuvius or Pelee, then three months later there will major earthquakes along the southern coast of California that will cause an inundation of the land from the Salt Lake in Utah to the southern portions of Nevada.

Mt. Vesuvius is the infamous volcano that destroyed the ancient city of Pompeii in 79 A.D. It is located east of Naples, Italy."

www.edgarcayce.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Oh wow, I just google earthed Chile, and you can see on there that a lot of the quakes we are seeing on the usgs site are not onshore, they are in the ocean along the actual ditch or whatever they call it, and around it. That seems pretty concerning to me. A little more concerning than just aftershocks. Haiti's afterschocks have stayed right in the general area of the original epicenter, these are jumping back and forth from land to ocean!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

That prophet you speak of also said that " the island of Madeira will be devastated."

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I dont think theres anything to worry about. These aftershocks though powerful is just the landmass settling to its new position. I would be more worried if the earthquakes was running up the fault lines rather than being localised in one area.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join