It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So many large Chile/Argentina earthquakes may indicate major thrust event

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Geolion1

It took me a while but I found a site in English:

pedroregis.com...

I don't know if everything has been translated, but it will give you the recent messages given toe Pedro Regis.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I never heard of Pedro Regis til now, but his page is rather interesting.
On Oct 27th from his message he said ,

"A great suffering will come for those who live in Italy. Something similar will come to those who live in Chile. The ground will be shaken and people will live in a time of great suffering. Pray."

That is interesting. He also speaks of something happening in Yugoslavia, and something in England and Brazil.
I read TLDM.ORG and his statements are right on with Lady of Roses.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Remember the Mexico 85 quake, it was 8.1 and there were several aftershocks, with the strongest one being 7.1.

So it has happened before nothing unusual about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
David Wilcock says Haiti is man-made, exactly before huge bank transactions thru Haiti to South America. Small nuclear devices in fault lines, expecterd to result in even bigger quake. www.youtube.com...=iiKdkQyxnI0
www.youtube.com...
How about Chile that was much bigger along the faults, despite the lower number of casualties? Yes there will be always people who will say "that's the way the nature works" - 50 quakes in the past month, and 60 quakes in Chile now... If you want to have it, then ok, but I do not want it under my feet, therefore I will speak! Damn it secret societies! Your time is over!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...=iiKdkQyxnI0&feature=related

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
hopefully now works! See the entire

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gliese581

David Wilcock says a lot of stuff. Pretty much all of it is nonsense.

The difference in casualties had little to do with "nature". Chile is a more developed country than Haiti, with a long history of very strong earthquakes. They know better how to build.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think I would take notice of Pedro Regis more than wilcox.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Poster of the Offshore Maule, Chile Earthquake of 27 February 2010 - Magnitude 8.8
Tectonic Summary

This earthquake occurred at the boundary between the Nazca and South American tectonic plates. The two plates are converging at a rate of 80 mm per year. The earthquake occurred as thrust-faulting on the interface between the two plates, with the Nazca plate moving down and landward below the South American plate.

Coastal Chile has a history of very large earthquakes. Since 1973, there have been 13 events of magnitude 7.0 or greater. The February 27 shock originated about 230 km north of the source region of the magnitude 9.5 earthquake of May, 1960 the largest instrumentally recorded earthquake in the world. This magnitude 9.5 earthquake killed 1655 people in southern Chile and unleashed a tsunami that crossed the Pacific, killing 61 people in Hawaii, Japan, and the Philippines. Approximately 870 km to the north of the February 27 earthquake is the source region of the magnitude 8.5 earthquake of November, 1922. This great quake significantly impacted central Chile, killing several hundred people and causing severe property damage. The 1922 quake generated a 9-meter local tsunami that inundated the Chile coast near the town of Coquimbo; the tsunami also crossed the Pacific, washing away boats in Hilo harbor, Hawaii. The magnitude 8.8 earthquake of February 27, 2010 ruptured the portion of the South American subduction zone separating these two massive historical earthquakes.

A large vigorous aftershock sequence can be expected from this earthquake

earthquake.usgs.gov...

So this was indeed a thrust event, according to the USGS, and the large vigorous aftershocks were expected. What I am postulating with this thread however, is that it may be the sign of something much bigger to come. So just in case, I am watching all the stations I can call up in GEE around the the entire region including the South American, Nazca, Scotia, Carribean Plates. The premise is that if any of these plates are going to make a major move, in other words, beyond what we have seen already, then I am postulating that large events may occur at the perimeter pressure points, or even in the interiors of these plates as precursatory warnings.

One thing to note though is the error data and large range of error on the exact epicenter locations of all these quakes. For the big 8.8 they give an error range of 7.5 km horizontal location. But for many of the aftershocks, the error ranges have often been much greater.

More than the epicenter, what is happening in the hypocenter area (exactly where the quake occurred deep underground) is of even more concern. Most of these quakes are occurring at a depth of roughly 35 Km, but there is a range of error on that too for each quake.

So it's difficult for obvious reasons to tell exactly what is going on some 22 miles below the surface. But if we start seeing larger numbers of quakes on the perimeters of these plates, it could be a bad omen. So far there have been a few, but nothing to really worry about. So far.

[edit on Sun Feb 28th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Something else to think about:

What if this release of stress weakened the pressure point area enough to destabilize the entire convergent subduction zone between the Nazca and South American plates, such that now pressure will increase along other points in the zone? We already have seen some other quakes along the perimeter to suggest this.

There is no telling with a situation like this what that line of demarcation is going to do. In fact, it would be reasonable to assume that if the Nazca Plate, just along that section of coast moved further under the South American Plate, then stress at the other points along the subduction zone will also change. And in my mind, would likely increase as opposed to decrease.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Great thread TrueAmerican...

What are the changes of Alaska being next on the list for a major quake....??

My guess is that it is pretty big...

Peace

PS: S+F

[edit on 1-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

the casualties in Haiti were bigger because their buildings weren't prepared to recieve that amount of energy from the ground. Here we have. Every building is tested to be anti seismic (well, almost every... there's some faults on the system as in every part of the world)
We're also an almost developed country, just some signatures left and we're joining the developed countries club.
Tomorrow I'm gpoing to do some work for the community in the evening. Th most damaged population is peruvian and not chilean...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Your right, something to think about... I hope it doesn't happen, but I guess something like that would have to happen at some point.. lets hope it is not for a while yet.. tho I will be keeping an eye on things..

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well, it's not the only thing that can happen, tied to a major plate upheaval or movement. For instance, A major movement of the South American Plate might cause a huge earthquake on the mid atlantic ridge, which could in turn, by proximity destabilize the infamous La Palma voclano ridge, causing an incredibly huge landslide that would in turn cause the mother of all tsunamis.

But this possibility is hotly disputed:

In September 2006 a team of research scientists at the highly regarded Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands published the findings of their research into the La Palma Tsunami phenomenon. Their research was highly critical of the 'Day' theory. They built several models similar to that of Day et al., but even with parameters exceeding the realms of reasonable possibility they were unable to create a tsunami. Even with their most unrealistic 'worst case scenario' they only managed to predict a wave of between 15 and 100 cm (39 in).

There is however, a consensus by geologists and volcanologists that edifice failure (large-scale collapses or mass wasting) of volcanic islands does occur and that large tsunamis have occurred in the Atlantic in the geological past. Despite this there is still no evidence reliably proving a cause and effect. All the documented large scale tsunamis in the Atlantic have been verifiably attributed to underwater earthquakes and not island collapses.[citation needed] Evidence of Tsunami deposits has been reported from the Caribbean and the Canary Islands. Since the 1990s the area has been (and continues to be), monitored and no movement has been detected.[citation needed] Ongoing and recent (2008) monitoring shows that the dimensions accord with those recorded in 1949. Thereby indicating that the block has not moved since 1949[citation needed]. Controversial evidence on the island of Bermuda is said to be tsunamite deposited by a tsunami that was generated by edifice failure on the adjacent island of El Hierro.

The actual distances involved in the 1949 rift are as follows: horizontal ~1 metre, vertical ~2 metres. Volume involved of the whole of the Cumbre Vieja is ~5 x 1011 m3 with an estimated mass of 1.5 x 1015 kg.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hmm, 4.8 just now south of Panama, right on the edge of the Nazca and Cocos Plates.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Maybe it's the Nazca Plate moving....

And now just one in or near Peru, too...

Yup. 4.7 Northern Peru. Not that close to the coast though.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Mon Mar 1st 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I offer these thoughts because the Chile earthquake and aftershocks are directing the news media to focus on tsunamis when the real story is still happening in the Andes.

Absolutely fascinating post. As all your posts most often are.
Thank you so much for sharing this information.

Stay safe and peace

EDIT: Northern Peru - Earthquake 4.7

[edit on 1-3-2010 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

What are the chances of Alaska being next on the list for a major quake....??

While watching the HUGE tremors being reported yesterday (repeated shakes of over 5.0) I was surprised to see Alaska also had a shake. Though it was a 2.1, and I'm not sure how often that happens, regardless there is movement there.

Stay Safe

peace

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Very interesting, thanks.. Lets hope the hyped mega tsunami does not happen.. it sounds like an awful event..

Tho, major events have happened throughout history.. and are bound to happen again.. the question is why not now.. lets hope it remains calm :-)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by operation mindcrime

What are the chances of Alaska being next on the list for a major quake....??

While watching the HUGE tremors being reported yesterday (repeated shakes of over 5.0) I was surprised to see Alaska also had a shake. Though it was a 2.1, and I'm not sure how often that happens, regardless there is movement there.

Stay Safe

peace

It's ok, that kind of quakes are extremely common, you would be surprised at the amount of relatively low grade quakes going on every day in practically the whole world.

Take for example here in Mexico there has been about 80 earthquakes in the past 10 days over 3.5. Of course most of the time these are just unnoticeable. But that's just the way it is earthquakes aren't as uncommon as many people think.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Slih_09

You are correct.......but the whopper i am suspecting in Alaska won't be anywhere near common...

Peace

[edit on 1-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join