It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.5 Earthquake in Chile!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Aquarius, I heard there was a little "quake"in Berkeley tonite...a protest got violent or something???
Anyway this happened near Concepcion, Chile...looks like a very populated coastal area. The quake map shows a huge area affected by this...
Can the world afford another relief effort? I hate to say that, but man, this year has been pretty destructive already...lots of quakes, blizzards, and unusually extreme weather. It's a burden on this weakened economy.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ucalien

Got me! Yes, I meant Venezuela. How about the CME/Earthquake connection? Has anyone else been hearing folks claiming there's a relationship?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm staying with this thread. I think it was the first.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Checked CNN, MSNBC and Fox, they reported a short time ago on Fox, but only a blurp...pray that there isn't loss of life, doesn't sound good though. Since it is almost 3:00 AM here have to get some rest, hope I don't wake up to more bad news..

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Time to crank out the beer and coffee!!

Volcano's erupting, earthquakes everywhere, world economy falling apart..

Unbelievable.

I hope people are ok and loss of life is minimal.

Horrible.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Checked CNN, MSNBC and Fox, they reported a short time ago on Fox, but only a blurp...pray that there isn't loss of life, doesn't sound good though.

I've saw it on the ticker 20 minutes ago on Fox. There should be something after Glenn Beck on Fox and Entertainment crap on CNN. Standing by........

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptSplatter

Checked CNN, MSNBC and Fox, they reported a short time ago on Fox, but only a blurp...pray that there isn't loss of life, doesn't sound good though.

I've saw it on the ticker 20 minutes ago on Fox. There should be something after Glenn Beck on Fox and Entertainment crap on CNN. Standing by........

Guess they don't think they have to report on this since it's the middle of the night, well not everyone is sleeping, go figure.
Cudo's to the Washington Post.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptSplatter

Guess they don't think they have to report on this since it's the middle of the night, well not everyone is sleeping, go figure.
Cudo's to the Washington Post.

God forbid they pull the slow drip of brainwashing programming to show some real news.....To be fair I'm sure they are pulling together the info now. I'm sure breaking news is coming up. Standing by......

link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

breaking news
updated 17 minutes ago

A massive magnitude-8.3 earthquake struck near Concepcion, Chile, early on Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, shaking buildings and causing blackouts in parts of the capital of Santiago.

A tsunami warning was issued for Chile and Peru by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, and a tsunami watch was issued for Ecuador.

The earthquake struck 56 miles northeast of Concepcion at a depth of 34 miles at 3:34 a.m. (1:34 a.m. ET). It's magnitude was reported at 8.3 and 8.5, then fixed by the USGS at 8.3.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

People streamed onto the streets of the Chilean capital, more than 200 miles north of the epicenter, hugging each other and crying, a Reuters witness reported. Buildings shook and there were blackouts in parts of the city.

The Reuters witness reported very strong shaking lasting for 10 to 30 seconds.

A national emergency official told local radio the government was evaluating damage in and around Concepcion.

In 1960, Chile was hit by the world's biggest earthquake since records dating back to 1900, USGS data shows. The 9.5 magnitude quake devastated the south-central city of Valdivia, killing 1,655 people and sending a tsunami which battered Easter Island 2,300 miles off Chile's Pacific seaboard and continued as far as Hawaii, Japan and the Philippines.

Editor's note: This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

link   
www.ustream.tv...

Here is a live streaming Chilean News station...all Spanish, but there is live chat going on....looks like there may have been only minimal damage...
The commentator was quoted as saying Big On the scale, small on damage

[edit on 27-2-2010 by odd1out]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a9137102803.gif[/atsimg]

Map of the area.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
CNN covering it now......8.8 now!!!!

Santiago 320miles away has windows blowing out and lost power!! Tsunami warning up the West Coast of South America....

[edit on 27-2-2010 by CaptSplatter]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

At least we've got each other

This is too much.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
8.8????

Is that a new one or the same???

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Upgrade to 8.8

Hope we got less victime this time

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Dolby_X]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

It was upgraded from 8.3. The information is basically posted immediately after an EQ, then is evaluated and edited after an in depth look at the. seismogram.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

It was upgraded from 8.3. The information is basically posted immediately after an EQ, then is evaluated and edited after an in depth look at the. seismogram. Also, a confirmed 9 foot Tsunami was generated. If building were damaged 200 miles away, I can't see Concepcion having escaped without some serious damage

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
How long to the HAARP guys come running??? There will be a whole thread about it in a few days with maps showing bases that made the signal, etc...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Tsunami Triggered Following 8.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Chile
Last Updated on Saturday, 27 February 2010 08:09 Saturday, 27 February 2010 08:03

A massive magnitude 8.8 earthquake has struck the country of Chile, triggering a Tsunami, with its epicenter close to the cities of Chillan and Concepcion, the latter being the second largest city in the country.

The NOAA said; "A tsunami has been generated that could potentially impact the U.S. west coast, British Columbia, and Alaska. The West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center is investigating the event to determine the level of danger."

Shaking and power outages have also been reported in the Chillean capital of Santiago, which is some 200 miles from the epicenter. The quake struck shortly after 03:30 local time, 06:30 GMT, at a depth of 36.9 miles, which is sufficient enough to trigger a destructive tsunami.

A tsunami warning is in effect for the South American Pacific Coast, stretching up as far as Ecuador, and the authorities of the Hawaiian Islands have been put on alert, although no warnings or watches have been issued so far
news on news

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Pray that this Tsunami doesn't go North.....does not sound good to me, hope I am wrong. Looks like we won't get many details until morning.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join