It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.5 Earthquake in Chile!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Waiting to link news source...
Maybe the CME?Earthquake theorists are right after all. I think I read here somewhere yesterday someone talking about the recent Solar filament and resulting triple CME would be responsible for a large quake.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Jesus...

Where is Phage?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The HAARP freaks are going to say they accidentally missed Argentina. This is the most powerful quake that I have ever heard about...
Still hasn't hit the news networks yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Dang you are quick on the post.Don't you have a real life?

A star and flag to you.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
36.100°S, 72.600°W

Paste into google it will give you the map. Looks like farm land.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I was waiting for someone to make a thread about this since I can't. My Firefox addon shook the window minutes ago and I didn't believe that I was looking at a magnitude 8.5.

I haven't found anything on it yet other than what was linked here and this:
8.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Chile, tsunami advisories for Chile, Peru and Ecuador

I fear for any people that were caught in this. :/

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Kazera]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Actually, looks as if I wasn't the first to post it...as far as the attempted insult goes...you're excused.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well, the area looks somewhat sparsely populated which would be a good thing. I believe this area is near a volcano, and is frequently rocked by earthquakes. The nature of the fault line and the plates involved makes this a tsunami threat...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The quake was downgraded to an 8.3...still not very pretty at all. Still no news sources yet. I'm going to drag up some geological/geographical info on the area.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Well if this is true there are going to be a bunch of dead people if it was anywhere near humans.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
8.5-magnitude quake hits Chile

SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) - A massive magnitude-8.5 earthquake struck near Concepcion, Chile, early on Saturday, the USGS reported, shaking buildings and causing blackouts in parts of the capital of Santiago.

A Reuters witness reported shaking buildings and loss of electricity in Santiago, which is north of the epicenter.

The earthquake struck 56 miles northeast of Concepcion at a depth of 34 miles at 3:34 a.m./1:34 EST/0643 GMT. The quake was initially reported at a magnitude of 8.3.

The Reuters witness reported a very strong shaking lasted for 10 to 30 seconds.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Here is a bit more info on the quake.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
[edit on 27-2-2010 by CaptSplatter]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Oh wow.. and 8.5 is absolutely huge.

some of you may not know how the scale actually works. It's not like a hurricane where you move into a different category from a small mph change with no change really noticed.
wiki richter scale

According to Wiki, there's only 1 per year at this size recorded per year and is a great magnitude greater than a 7. I truly hope this is as far from as many people as possible.

b

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Tsunami warning issued for Chile, Peru after quake

Saturday, February 27, 2010; 2:14 AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tsunami warning was issued early on Saturday for Chile and Peru and a tsunami watch was issued for Ecuador, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reported, after a massive earthquake in Chile.

The warning was issued after the magnitude 8.5 earthquake struck the coast of Chile near Concepcion.

The center said: "An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Hope there won't be a Tsunami.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks for the link.
It could be hours before anyone knows how this affected the area. I live near L.A. and I'm trying to think of what 30 seconds of 8.3 would do this area. The results would be devastating. They were mentioning a 1960's quake on the news which was 9.2 lasting for 7 minutes!!! I've only experienced a 5.2, and let me tell you...it really humbles you when you feel the ground shake like that beneath you.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

I can relate odd1out, I lived in Berkeley, Ca. during the 89 World Series Quake, and it scared the hell out of me, thank goodness no damage to my Condo..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Won't be too long before someone attempts to link this latest and unimaginable disaster to HAARP or some other insidious organization

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

The HAARP freaks are going to say they accidentally missed Argentina.

Not Argentina. Venezuela. When they hit Haiti, they aimed Cuba.

Sorry I couldn't avoid say that.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I realize there are earthquakes everyday somewhere in the World, but recently we have had some big and devastating ones, kind of scary.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join