It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US citizens view of the British

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

that wiki doesnt actualy say anything about scottish people being in the redcoat army (but their most likely was a few)...

what that wiki page DOES say is that in 1707 (or near abouts) went from being called the "The new English Army" , to the "British army", as that is when scotland became part of the uk.

if you can show me any scottish regiments that woudl be cool, ive been looking, cant find anything, history aint my best topic for reaserch admittetly

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Geography 101 for yanks.

Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and England make up the UK.
Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and England are the Brits.
They are different countrys, like mexico, canada, and the states..

Scotland, Wales, and England are all attached to the same landmass, Ireland is a nearby island.

France sucks.

Actually, Ireland is not part of the UK I believe, but Northern Ireland is.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

I think the most famous use of the words/uniform has to be in reference to the thin red line, which I beleive was the 93rd, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders at Balaklava..

Pretty cool guys IMHO..

[edit on 26/2/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Authentic Americans still hold cousinly affection for Britain. Unfortunately, most Americans are not Anglo-Americans. Many more come from places with historical hatreds of the English (i.e., Irish-Americans).

It's sad because these "Huddled Masses" have fundmentally perverted the identity of what has been my family's home since AD1620.

Heavy sigh.

Originally posted by LightFantastic
Looking through some of the Falklands threads in Breaking Alternative News I was shocked by the number of people apparently from the US that had strong views against the British and our Monarchy.

I thought we were very close countries in most ways including descent. The British in general have no problem at all with the US or its people. Despite Britain being part of the EU now I think most still class the US as our closest ally.

Are these views as common as they seem in the States?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
As a Brit, I do find it irritating when my compatriots complain about Americans referring to Britain/UK as 'England'.
Yet, the majority of British people I've heard refer to the Netherlands as Holland, which is exactly the same thing !

And if we want to get pedantic about this, referring to the United States of America as 'America' is erroneous as that is the combined name of the continents of North and South America, and not a country !

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm an American from Illinois, and I have no real issue w/ anyone from Britain...Ireland....or Scotland. Can't we all just get along?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
ive never met an american thats ever actualy called me SCOTTISH, every time, guarenteed ... im classed as irish (unless ive already ranted to them the very simple difference between ireland and scotland)

That my friend is because so many people in public places (politics, media, Hollywood) who are actually of Scottish ancestry, perfer/want to be thought of as ethnically Irish. Their Scottish surnames names shout it out, but average folks don't know enough to notice. Seems sometimes that everyone in American wants to ID some Irish blood in themselves, even when none exists. What can I say? Americans love whatever it is they think it means to be Irish.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
A recent poll of US citizens showed 87% had a favorable opinion of the UK while Canada had 90% , we were the top 2 out of 20 countries most in the News.
I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like Americans.On ats though threads some time degenerate into nationalistic chest beating entertaining though this is i don't really take it too seriously.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

I can't speak for anyone but myself and I love the British. I've always liked British culture and, of course, the accent. Maybe it was being exposed to Monty Python at an early age that did it. I even have the habit of using so called "English" words like rubbish.

I've never met anyone who hated the British but I'm sure there are plenty of angry people out there who for one reason or another look down upon our alliance with Britain.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Well are you talking about the so-called special relationship that was supposed to exist between britain and the US?

I was shocked about Mrs Obama putting hands on our queen. Ithought we were going to have to reinvade our ex colony (lol).

Anyway I am from Sarf Lundon and we don't like anyone! And don't ger me started on the Nowtheners (i.e. those who live on the north bank of the thames!

Howszat! Equal ops hatred

T

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Geography 101 for yanks.

MIND BLOWING. Deny Ignorance.
Ireland and Northern Ireland are NOT THE SAME.
IRELAND IS NOT PART OF THE UNITED KINGDOM.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

hehehe the phrase "only in america" is what jumped to mind their hehehehe

myself, and all scottish people i know (which is most people ive ever known) are as patriotic and proud of their country as america as of theirs.... i get enough stick for saying scotland shouldnt be completly independant! i dare to think what kind of abuse a famous scottish person would get by trying to say their irish to look better!

its bad enough when scottish football pundits speak out for england hahahaha

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The Founding Americans fell into four British types - almost none from Scotland or Ireland proper, by far majority English so "Britain" to an American mind is almost reflexively English:

1. New England: Settled by East Anglian, Anglo-Saxon Puritans (we call them the Pilgrim Fathers). Congregationalist.

2. US South: Southern English/Briton gentry aka "Distressed Cavaliers" - second sons of second sons without money but lots of ambition. Anglican.

3. Pennsylvania/New Jersey: London and upper midlands Quakers + German Pietists (Amish/Mennonite)

4. The Appalachian Frontier: Scots-Irish Presbyterians

Since then, most imported immigrants to America were not of English or even British stock, except for Irish immigrants during and after the Potato Famine. These people imported their hatred for the English with them, which was curious since America was almost entirely "English" at that time.

RACE: an ethnic group once called a "nation" - peoples reltated by blood, history, culture, DNA, language and vision for the future

STATE: a sovereign or effective government

NATION-STATE: a common and perhaps the largest natural political form of union in which each nation has its own country and its own state. Commonly confused with "country" or "nation" which are not accurate terms, especially today with rampant immigration and political reorganization.

Britain is a "country" i.e, an island; it contains several "states" (the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland) and many "nations" (English, Welsh, Scot, Irish, and maybe more depending on their own genetic consciousness).

The USA is comprised, purportedly of 50 sovereign states, numerous nations, but one country known as "America' (Canada and Mexico lost out on that one. No one but Canadians think in terms of "North America", lol!)

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Benji1999
As a Brit, I do find it irritating when my compatriots complain about Americans referring to Britain/UK as 'England'.
Yet, the majority of British people I've heard refer to the Netherlands as Holland, which is exactly the same thing !

And if we want to get pedantic about this, referring to the United States of America as 'America' is erroneous as that is the combined name of the continents of North and South America, and not a country !

[edit on 26-2-2010 by joeofthemountain]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Geography 101 for yanks.

Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and England are the Brits.
They are different countrys, like mexico, canada, and the states..

Scotland, Wales, and England are all attached to the same landmass, Ireland is a nearby island.

France sucks.

Try again Saturn

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benji1999

Tell us why calling Britian/UK England upsets people.
The comparison you give isn't true.
Persons in the US have always called their country America, call themselves Americans, and sing songs about it, e.g. America the Beautiful, God Bless America. Nope....for all intents and purposes, the United States IS America. When you say "America", everyone knows where you mean. Too late for a political correctness change.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

are you american? .. would you like being called canadian or mexican?
are you from pakistan? .. would you like being called indian?
are you any country? .. would you like being classed as from a country who is your long time rival??

(i dont know if canada is a rival to usa btw)

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
myself, and all scottish people i know (which is most people ive ever known)

Yet many can sit in judgment of another Country with over 305 million people and 50 distinct states?

This is an example of what needs to be addressed by all members not just YANKS, Britt's, Scotts, Irish or my Cousin Vinny.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Not sure at this point who is leading who. since we found out that our tax money ends up in the queens bank account. until, we know the whole truth. I reserve comment as this, if true would be unacceptable - and as a result of being double crossed by the double crosser's a war would ensue for freedom and our Republic.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well that's just about as much as I've seen many non-Americans/Canadians here on ATS know about the US or North Americans in general. Between the US and Canada alone that's over 450 million differences spread out between 13 Provinces and 50 States.

Yea, its pretty shameful really isn't it? But it can't be helped lol.

I know quite a bit of the history, the names of the states and the accents of a few cities but I'd need to spend more time in the US to figure out the rest.

To be embarrassingly honest, if it wasn't for US tv and movies, we would generally know very little about the US.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by joeofthemountain

These United States of America

Somewhere down the line people have forgotten that it's THESE not THE...

Back on topic.

I again will state that it's not the majority of Americans who feel that way.

PEACE

Slay

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join