It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US citizens view of the British

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm married to an Englishman, and lived in the UK for two years. I was unaware that Americans disliked the British. Some are like that, but then again, those individuals could find their nose to pick it, let alone find the Uk on a map, so they simply are not really worth notice.

I rather like the UK. I certainly prefer it to Europe, where I'm living now (Southern Spain). I would much rather live there than here. I do hate the government of the UK and the system, but then again, I hate my own American government and system too. I haven't met a government yet that I didn't think would be more useful in a compost heap than in power, so it's nothing personal.

I do think the UK needs to stand up for itself more in regards to the EU, and stop letting Brussels erode it's uniqueness with their silly, ridiculous laws. Personally, i think the EU needs to get stuffed down the crapper in an old outhouse, but that's just me.

My husband, when he was in the states, was surprised at how well Americans treated him, and how friendly they were, and that they were quite fascinated by the British in general. You will find that most Americans are well disposed towards the British, though that doesn't stop us from taking the piss out of you for various reasons.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I really had a damn good laugh reading the posts, some good stuff, and not so good stuff.
Most roads in the British isles are paved, go to hospital the first words wont be 'blue cross?'.
the Monarchy, hmmm, well, our balance of payments is helped by those chinless wonders, especially American Dollars and Chinese Yuan, so its best if the Royals stay where they are as with american Presidents, some hate, some love. don't fix it if its working!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think that the only Americans who dislike the British are really just misanthropes in general and not to be worried about.

As I said, I love the British because modern liberty is really an offshoot of British liberty, dating back to the Magna Carta and earlier. I am inclined to think that the American revolution was it's heretofore ultimate apex and flowering, but this of course in no way means that the British can't have a renaissance, rediscover their roots, and pass us up. On the contrary, such revolutions are much more likely to occur in smaller countries.

Also, I, of course, love your poetry, esp Wordworth and Keats. Also, William Shakespeare's plays of course.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
hat doesn't stop us from taking the piss out of you for various reasons.

What does that mean?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Drives on the wrong side of the road? As most people are right-handed, keeping one's dominant right hand on the steering wheel while changing gears makes a lot of sense.

Quite.

Historically one would ride along the left side of the road to keep one's sword hand free for protection (remember that left-handedness was considered evil back then). It made sense to ride on the left side to protect your left flank.
Napoleon, in his conquest of most of Europe, marched his troops on the right as a show of strength and a symbol of supremacy. In order to avoid collision with the troops, riding on the right became necessary and Europe adopted that side. The Americans basically opted for it because it was in solidarity with the French in their battling the British. Because Britain was not invaded, the left side remained the correct side of the road. The British empire saw may colonies adopt similar standards.
So driving on the left is correct. Driving on the right is just stubborn.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I like the Brits. I don't like they gave up there weapons and have officially become a police state.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TaxpayersUnleashed

The Brits have not given up their weapons. They are not gun-crazy like some places in the world, and are still free to own rifles and shotguns. They are also not a police state, which I suspect you do not know the meaning of.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

And now you know the intelligence quotient of the average American teenager. I'll bet he graduates, too. My only beef with the UK is the near marshal law that it places on its people. And, the idiots who make up the laws jump at every little thing so that you have laws against things that we take for granted in the US. I wouldn't want to live there for anything. The people? No beefs here.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
To generalize grossly if I may (and what else is the point of messageboards?), the British people I've met seem to have a wider range of vocabulary than the average American, Canadian, or Australia/New-Zedder. I like to watch some of the British political speeches in parliament...they are often far more biting and articulate than anything that comes out of the US Congress (with a few exceptions of course). Not saying the law is any better or worse there...just noting that in the "native English-speaking world" the British seem the most well-spoken and verbally patient. They don't rush to inturrupt each other and "talk over" each other as much as the average American, it seems. I like that. Good listening is the cornerstone of good conversation.

One thing that distresses me about the UK recently is that they seem to be on the bleeding edge of political-correctness-based hysteria, as well as in terms of survalience. The USA is catching up fast on the latter score, though.

One great factor that unites US and the UK -- they seem to be the only two countries on earth capable of producing large amounts of truly masterful ROCK N' ROLL. :riff:

I've visited the UK three times and thought it was a beautiful country...great architecture in London, wonderful well-kept countryside. The people were always polite and kind to me and I have nothing negative to say about them (or the average citizens of any other nation, for that matter) as a whole.

[edit on 3/7/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There's no question that since the post Revolutionary War and the birth of the USA, England has been a steady manipulator and enemy of the uSA. This is because England became Jesuit controlled and was used to impose a Jesuit agenda on the uSA. Had England not become a tool of the Jesuits and the Revolutionary war not occurred (it was created by the Jesuits to destroy the anti-catholic factions of the two countries) then England and the uSA would be fast and lasting friends and far different than they are today. Prior to the period leading to the Revolutionary War, England really didn't have any real claims of ownership, taxation or control. Those where all Jesuit insisted attitudes use to devastate the two distinct countries. England has been nothing but an evil influence on the uSA every since.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pazzerz
reply to post by Dermo

And now you know the intelligence quotient of the average American teenager. I'll bet he graduates, too. My only beef with the UK is the near marshal law that it places on its people. And, the idiots who make up the laws jump at every little thing so that you have laws against things that we take for granted in the US. I wouldn't want to live there for anything. The people? No beefs here.

"Near martial law?" What the F? Do you even know what that is, or did you here Alex Jones bang on about it and assume it to be the truth? You admit you have never been here or even have a desire to (based on erroneous information), so how can you even think we have martial law?

And what laws do we have against stuff here that you take for granted in the US, aside from guns? How can you possibbly know this without EVER having been here? Oh, Alex Jones said...

Me thinks you're talking out the proverbial.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
Looking through some of the Falklands threads in Breaking Alternative News I was shocked by the number of people apparently from the US that had strong views against the British and our Monarchy.

I thought we were very close countries in most ways including descent. The British in general have no problem at all with the US or its people. Despite Britain being part of the EU now I think most still class the US as our closest ally.

Are these views as common as they seem in the States?

I love the British. I thank you for The Office and Top Gear

I love the enthusiasm they have in the Premier League.

I love the accent. Used to work a job where I spoke with a lot of Brits on the phone... I couldn't help but imagine every woman I spoke with was drop dead gorgeous haha They sounded it to me anyway.

A good portion of my ancestry is British too.

With all that being said, your government sucks the big one. lol But don't worry I say this too with love, 'cause ours sucks too.

edit to say after I just saw some Brits using them... the phrases you guys have always struck me as funny/interesting too.. in a good way I mean. I will admit that I have stolen "what are you on about?" a time or two.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by ImaNutter]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pazzerz
reply to post by Dermo

How can we be in marshall law when the police aren't even armed?

Don't talk crap man.

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join