It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US citizens view of the British

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Looking through some of the Falklands threads in Breaking Alternative News I was shocked by the number of people apparently from the US that had strong views against the British and our Monarchy.

I thought we were very close countries in most ways including descent. The British in general have no problem at all with the US or its people. Despite Britain being part of the EU now I think most still class the US as our closest ally.

Are these views as common as they seem in the States?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I disagree - i think a lot of (US) ATS members like the UK.

I may be wrong though?

[edit on 26-2-2010 by mr-lizard]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
most of america, judging by media ect, have no idea what the uk is about or like ..
hell, most americans just think scotland is a part or england... and that anyone scottish is actualy irish.... it says it all really..

ive never met an american thats ever actualy called me SCOTTISH, every time, guarenteed ... im classed as irish (unless ive already ranted to them the very simple difference between ireland and scotland)

[edit on 26-2-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well im British and absolutely detest the monarchy. In any case i didn't really see the hate you describe, maybe some ignorance but not hate. And anyway, people have alot of reasons to dislike Britain. I personally dislike America and Britain equally. The anglo-american relationship has spread and supported so much chaos and evil around the world it's easy to see why some people don't like us. Of course we aint all bad and it's the governments and not the people most people don't like. Sometimes that isn't apparent in posts.

Yes, i have been called Irish aswell boaby.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Nah...My best mate here in West Yorkshire is American.He has been here for over ten years now.He says he loves his country but hates the Government.So for now he is staying put in good old Blighty!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

i have Americans tell me im irish for bad grammar all the time, and take the michael because of it, sometimes i don't wanna go back and rephrase everything so you can understand. p.s. I am not irish

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I've noticed a lot of dislike (possibly too harsh a word) by Yanks towards Brits, its more towards the British stereotype than the actual people IMO..

But doesn't the same happen between all the big "Personalities" that are regularly in the limelight? US, British, French, Germans, Chinese, Americans, Europeans etc..

Everyone has their stereotypes that are completely ridiculous as blanket generalizations..

Recently, I was talking to this dude from Chi Town, at one stage it came up about British and he said "they're trying to fight a war with us at the moment but they suck, everybody hates them".. I was surprised at the attitude but in his defense, he was only in his late teens.

I quickly explained to him in words that were clearly too 'big' for him that the British were helping the US in their wars and should not be disliked for being allies because that's not the way the real world worked.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
i have Americans tell me im irish for bad grammar all the time, and take the michael because of it, sometimes i don't wanna go back and rephrase everything so you can understand. p.s. I am not irish

Why? Is bad grammar and punctuation an Irish trait or something?

Did I miss the memo?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Hi! I'm an American, just married my husband who is a British citizen and I live in the UK. I love your country. I find the people here to be some of the nicest people I have ever met.

I don't understand some of the bashing I have seen in that thread really. I doubt all Americans feel that way though.

link   

Originally posted by Dermo
I've noticed a lot of dislike (possibly too harsh a word) by Yanks towards Brits, its more towards the British stereotype than the actual people IMO..

But doesn't the same happen between all the big "Personalities" that are regularly in the limelight? US, British, French, Germans, Chinese, Americans, Europeans etc..

Everyone has their stereotypes that are completely ridiculous as blanket generalizations..

What is the British stereotype? Being British I don't really know. I thought it would have something to do with being polite, 'stuck up' and heavy drinking.

+1 more 
link   

Looking through some of the Falklands threads in Breaking Alternative News I was shocked by the number of people apparently from the US that had strong views against the British and our Monarchy.

I thought we were very close countries in most ways including descent. The British in general have no problem at all with the US or its people. Despite Britain being part of the EU now I think most still class the US as our closest ally.

Are these views as common as they seem in the States?

No! They are not common in the States. Most Americans consider the UK as an Allie.

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I disagree - i think a lot of (US) ATS members like the UK.

I may be wrong though?

Agreed. I think many here need to understand and remember this is ATS after all we get all kinds of people and all kinds of views. Many uneducated. I'm sure many who claim to be Americans are not. Also look at their locations many are blank they could be from anywhere.

Originally posted by boaby_phet
most of america, judging by media ect, have no idea what the uk is about or like ..

That's your problem. Judging the US by the Media.

hell, most americans just think scotland is a part or england... and that anyone scottish is actualy irish.... it says it all really..

Imagine that....

Calling Americans out about generalizations while making one.
I wonder if that's simply because many Americans have not had that much interaction with Scotts or have learned the differences. We call ourselves Americans not focusing on which state we are from first. Except Texas of course.

ive never met an american thats ever actualy called me SCOTTISH, every time, guarenteed ... im classed as irish (unless ive already ranted to them the very simple difference between ireland and scotland)

I'm sorry but would you know the differences between an American from Iowa or Montana?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Ok don't buy that other fellows talk that most Americans don't know what a British person is or whatever. It's real easy these days to be a little overly dramatic about things and while I'm sure you could find an American on the street or whatever that knows nothing of the geography of the UK or culture it's not most people! That's being totally dramatic and silly.
Now that being said I find that myself and my friends generally like British folks just fine. Now we may not like your government or for that matter our own even but that's just that. The governments. I also question perrsonally how you guys put up with the Orwellian nightmare there! That being said again how do people here put up with the same thing virtually! I think we all need to get up and fight for our rights but as for British people totally ok in my book

edit spelling sheesh!

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Redwookieaz]

link   
Oops double post!

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Redwookieaz]

link   

Lol, depends on where you are from really doesn't it. In Ireland, the general stereotype of British is Loud and a bit Arrogant..

Around Southern Europe its generally loud, disruptive & drunk.. but that obviously comes from a minority that go mental when they go on holidays. The French and German stereotypes are based on the old imperial stereotypes of Posh Brits lol.

Of course anyone who's cranium is evolved enough to be able to fathom other cultures without blanket generalizing them knows better

As far as I can gather, the Yank stereotype for you is "Posh, Laughable, Imperial Pussies who drink tea" but I could be wrong

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Just one big, English speaking family indulging in a bit of healthy sibling rivalry?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

i think americans are great they are so full of life unlike us morbid brits

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I'm sorry but would you know the differences between an American from Iowa or Montana?

Thats a great point..

Even though I am pretty much completely capable of determining between East Coast, West Coast, Bible Belt Yanks and Canadians by their accents and general carry on at this stage lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ha I did have a friend once who started dating a British gal just because he loved to hear her say the word bastard lol. He used to have her call his voice mail and say things that were extra "Britishy" for grins...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm an American and I love the British!!!!
I am in what is called 'New England'.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Here in the US, at the grocery stores there is a section for gossip magazines at the check out counter. Anyways, even though it is the US, we have GOSSIP headlines about the royal families escapades almost weekly. The UK royal family competes with Brad and Angelina or Britney, or even the Obamas, for gossip spotlight of the day.

We are closer than you can imagine, despite the ocean being between us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join