It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the Jinn?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Something is being hidden concerning the etymology of the word Gentile. In all my searches it only gives the meaning of "non-Jewish". I think there is much more to this than is being revealed.

There has always been debate as to whether Jewishness is defined by religion or ethnic group (race). It would appear that Gentile is just as illusive in it's definition. From Etymology Online: "Used during 14c. to mean both "one who is not a Christian" and "one who is not a Jew."" According to this, by default, Gentile has come to mean a 'pagan' or 'heathen'. Yet, other definitions say that Gentile refers to a clan, family, or tribe, making it a genetic distinction rather than a distinction of philosophy and practices.

Ancient writings claim that the Jinn are spiritual entities that existed before humans. This word is at the root of many of our creation words.
Jinn, Genie, ....
Jinn+Isis=Genesis?
Jinn+ethics=Genetics ?
Jinn+tilia=Gentilia? ('tilia'=to get, cultivate;'tilian'=to obtain;'telen'=to breed, raise, cultivate, cause)
Jinn+italia=Genitalia? (reproductive organs) The etymology of the word 'italia' is linked to a Greek word meaning "calf".

Could the story of the Golden Calf have actually been an expression in celebration of heritage? Has the story been misrepresented by those who have turned religion into a manipulative business?

Could it be that these Gentiles were offspring, or metaphorically, the 'young calves', of the Jinn?

When Moses came down the mountain, were all 3 million Jews dancing around a golden calf? No. The Torah in Exodus 32:28 says it was only about 3 thousand people, mostly the mixed multitude of individuals who left with the Jews because they were so impressed by what went on with the Ten Plagues.

That means that only about .1% of the Jews (one in a thousand) participated.

(ref: Rashi, Exodus 32:4; Ramban, Exodus 32:7 & 32:28.)

Is there a connection between the Jinn and the Jinn-tiles?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
you forgot gin and juice.

no seriously, i smell dead end. full stop.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
S & f

Fascinating

Rather than a multitude of separate-origin entities, I'm coming to the conclusion Jinn are responsible for most if not all paranormal and 'extraterrestrial alien' events

'calves of the Jinn', huh ?

Eagerly awaiting more of your speculations re: Jinn

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Satan is a Jinn. Jinn's are demons in Islam. This should be helpful.en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 21-2-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I... Sincerely doubt it. Most of these words are from wholly distinct languages. You can't gross "Jinn" and "Isis" and get something meaningful, unless into all our languages have been coded a common end to deliver a message.

... oh, wait, some people think that sort of thing. Good luck.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by Solasis]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I had wondered if the Djinn in Arab thought (even perhaps pan-Muslim thought now) were the people identified in some of the Sumerian clay writings ... I think the word was I.GI.GI. who together with the Annunaki formed the cohort of the gods.

Perhaps that recollection will help jog some memories. I do recall the Gentiles being held distinct from the Hebrew people... as well as in the earliest Christian self-identification where the Gentiles did not know the Holy One of Israel. I wonder if one shouldn't look into comparing etymologies of 'gentile' and nephilim... I commend the OP for asking the question and pointing to particular words that seem to stress 'breeding' (perhaps in the manner of animals rather than within a human or religious system that sets down guidelines and stages for such behaviour.)

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The Jinn are spirits that were created by God out of fire, and are roughly equivalent to the daimones or daimonia of Greco-Roman mythology. The jinn spirits were said to inhabit caves, graveyards, darkness, and the underground, and could consort with deities in pre-Islamic traditions. Source

in Arabic mythology, a supernatural spirit below the level of angels and devils. Ghūl (treacherous spirits of changing shape), ʿifrīt (diabolic, evil spirits), and siʿlā (treacherous spirits of invariable form) constitute classes of jinn. Jinn are beings of flame or air who are capable of assuming human or animal form and are said to dwell in all conceivable inanimate objects—stones, trees, ruins—underneath the earth, in the air, and in fire. Source

In Arabian and Muslim folklore jinns are ugly and evil demons having supernatural powers which they can bestow on persons having powers to call them up. In the Western world they are called genies. Legend has it that King Solomon possessed a ring, probably a diamond, with which he called up jinns to help his armies in battle. The concept that this king employed the help of jinns may have originated from 1 Kings 6:7, "And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought there, so there was neither hammer nor axe nor and tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building." Source

Online Etymology Dictionary

Genesis - O.E., from L. genesis, adopted as title of first book of Old Testament in Vulgate, from Gk. genesis "origin, creation, generation," from gignesthai "to be born," related to genos "race, birth, descent" (see genus). As such, it translated Heb. bere#h, lit. "in the beginning," which was the first word of the text, taken in error as its title. Extended sense of "origin, creation" first recorded in English c.1600.

Genetic - "pertaining to origins," coined 1831 by Carlyle from Gk. genetikos "genitive," from genesis "origin" (see genus). Biological sense first recorded in Darwin, 1859.

Genetaila - late 14c., from L. genitalis "pertaining to generation or birth," related to Gk. genete "birth" (see genus). Plural genitals "reproductive organs" formed in English late 14c. Scientific pl. genitalia (1876) is from L. genitalia membra.

The word genie derives from Latin genius, which meant a sort of tutelary or guardian spirit thought to be assigned to each person at their birth. English borrowed the French descendent of this word, génie; its earliest written attestation in English, in 1655, is a plural spelled genyes. The French translators of The Book of One Thousand and One Nights used génie as a translation of jinnī because it was similar to the Arabic word in sound and in meaning. This use was also adopted in English and has since become dominant. Wikipedia

So I think from a cursory search it's clear that Jinn are in reference to a class of mythological spiritual beings roughly synonymous with demons in western culture. "Gene" is a denotation of "origins" or "creation".

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
I do recall the Gentiles being held distinct from the Hebrew people... as well as in the earliest Christian self-identification where the Gentiles did not know the Holy One of Israel.

I find this rather curious:

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Matthew 10:5-6

I find it difficult to believe that Jesus, in all his portrayed goodness, would advocate division among peoples based on race. Could this decision have been because the Gentiles had a kinder way of living and were not corrupted by manipulations of 'religion'?

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
I wonder if one shouldn't look into comparing etymologies of 'gentile' and nephilim...

As mentioned above, I have not found much depth in the etymology of the word "gentile" itself. Only "non-Jew" and then later, non-Christian. The word "gentile" is mentioned as early as chapter 10 in Genesis. The etymology of Nephilim is very curious as well. The definition redirects to the Orb weaver spider. Here is a thread about the orb, nephilim, and world rulers:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
What I understand is that a Jinn is a demon in Islamic culture. Apparently some have the head of a dog.

Which shoulder is the Devil supposed to look over? This is most likely one here...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Jinn, Genie, ....
Jinn+Isis=Genesis?
Jinn+ethics=Genetics ?
Jinn+tilia=Gentilia? ('tilia'=to get, cultivate;'tilian'=to obtain;'telen'=to breed, raise, cultivate, cause)
Jinn+italia=Genitalia?

Nice try but...
Jinn+Isis= Jinnisis, Jinnisis is gibberish
Jinn=ethics= Jinnethics, again this is gibbersish
Jinn+tilia= Jintilia
Maybe you should have found a word that starts with Gen to base your theory off of. And Genetics was deliberately called genetics because it comes from origin.

1831 by Carlyle from Gk. genetikos "genitive," from genesis "origin

That is also where the word Genus comes from.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There is no "J" in Hebrew. The "J" I believe is actually a "Y" so Jinn in Hebrew would be Yinn.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Maybe you should have found a word that starts with Gen to base your theory off of. And Genetics was deliberately called genetics because it comes from origin.

The Genie that most westerners associate with magic lantern is actually derived from the jinn, or ginn, which are known throughout the Arabic, as well as the Muslim world. In Egypt, as well as elsewhere, the modern concept of jinn have their basis in the Islamic faith. According to the Quran, Allah created man from clay, angles from light, and jinn from fire. However, there is little doubt that the belief in jinn, who themselves are believed to predate Adam, also predates the Quran. In the pre-Islamic era, they constituted the nymphs and satyrs of the desert, and during the era that the Quran was written, they were revered as a form of gods.

www.touregypt.net...
"God's Other People: The Jinn"

The French translators of The Book of One Thousand and One Nights used génie as a translation of jinnī because it was similar to the Arabic word in sound and in meaning. This use was also adopted in English and has since become dominant.
(wiki 'genie')

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Let me remind you that Jinn do not originate from the Arab world but the Persian world. It is all connected non the less, but I thought you might be interested in the origins of the things you speak about.

Jinn existed and are 'documented' before Islam was even made. Before Judaism even came to be. And yes, both these religions have absorbed a lot of Persian mythology and literature.

The Jinn are the so called demons, that have the power to posses people. Once people lose themselves(in anger, depression - both mentally and physically) the jinn can take control or make their move.

Just smile, be happy and spread the happiness and you have nothing to worry about as the almighty is watching over you.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Prepare for a mind#?
I was looking into Churchill quotes one day and he called depression his 'black dog' and mentioned in Islam black dogs are considered evil. So I started researching that.

Mohammed commanded all dogs be killed then changed to just black dogs. Black dogs were supposedly all demon possessed.

Skip ahead present day. There is a man called Berkowits called the '.44 calibre killer' a serial killer. He claimed he was involved in satanic rituals with a group. The leader had 'powers' over him to do evil acts (murder). This will interest you:

During questioning, Berkowitz said that the "Sam" mentioned in the first letter was Sam Carr, his former neighbor. Berkowitz claimed that Carr's black labrador retriever, Harvey, was possessed by an ancient demon, and that it issued irresistible commands that Berkowitz must kill people. Berkowitz said he once tried to kill the dog, but was unsuccessful due to supernatural interference.

Then there is the famous beast of Bray Road. Witness said it walked on two legs with red eyes:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff00f131330c.jpg[/atsimg]

reply to post by Zamini

In Norse culture there is a shift called berserkergang where you swell with rage and power, some people claim its by Odin possessing your body, seems like the same idea of both cultures to me but have never heard of an Arab berserk LOL!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Persians are not Arabs.

Also, the Jinn can act on itself of course. The more gullible the people the more power the Jinn gets.

Also funny to note, in a playstation game called Tekken you have a character called Jin - who is possesed by a...you guessed it :-)

It's a Japanese game, which is also nice to know because it is apparent that Persian history has had uncomparable influences on everything we know. What I'm saying here is that Japanese Shintoism is derived from ancient Persian 'religion'.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
first: the word Jinn existed in the Arabian Penunsila before there was even persia.
second: to say Jinn in Arabic just means Demons in the christian west is a big mistake,because JINN in arabic and Islam (QUR'AN) means a totally diffrent race of creatures that are created out of FIRE and consist of diffrent CLASSES, like SHAITAN and IFRIT.
last: in Islam there is a GOOD Jinn and an EVIL Jinn, and the head of all evil Jinn is IBLIS.

please excuse my english I'm not a native speaker.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by abdurahman

I sincerely doubt that an Arab peninsula even existed when Persians gathered up over 7000 years ago. But that is okay, the Arabs have always held a non-justifiable grudge against the Persians. Just like all the brilliant ideas that the so called Arabs brought to the West, even though it were MOSTLY the Persian scholars that came up with the theories and ideas.

There has been an ongoing crusade against Persian knowledge for well over 2000 years because the knowledge would set the masses free from their 'chains'. Yes, that includes the Arabs.

And it's okay, English is not my native language either.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Zamini my friend, PERSIA is not the subject here, JINN is.

peace be upon you.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by abdurahman]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by abdurahman
first: the word Jinn existed in the Arabian Penunsila before there was even persia.
second: to say Jinn in Arabic just means Demons in the christian west is a big mistake,because JINN in arabic and Islam (QUR'AN) means a totally diffrent race of creatures that are created out of FIRE and consist of diffrent CLASSES, like SHAITAN and IFRIT.
last: in Islam there is a GOOD Jinn and an EVIL Jinn, and the head of all evil Jinn is IBLIS.

please excuse my english I'm not a native speaker.

Thank you for an informative contribution. Your English is fine.

If Jinn is created from fire energy, could this have anything to do with the fiery serpents mentioned in bible scripture?

The root of Seraphim comes either from the Hebrew verb saraph ('to burn') or the Hebrew noun saraph (a fiery, flying serpent). Because the term appears several times with reference to the serpents encountered in the wilderness (Num. 21.8, Deut. 8.15; Isa. 14.29; 30.6), it has often been understood to refer to "fiery serpents." From this it has also often been proposed that the seraphim were serpentine in form and in some sense "fiery" creatures or associated with fire.

www.pantheon.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by abdurahman

Thanks for the reminder

I will share a story about a jinn.

My aunt and my uncle, when they were younger were walking through a dark corridor(their house had a corridor outside the house before you reached the front door). As my aunt and uncle who were still young teenagers were walking through the corridor, my aunt, who was younger than her brother, suddenly felt that she was grabbed by her ankle and was being pulled down...but there was nothing or nobody visible! My uncle had to grab her and drag her out of the corridor, he also felt the physical force the jinn was excercising upon his sister and he had to pull with all his might to get his sister to safety.

Truth factor? We all know sensationalist stories but these kind of incidents seemed to be common in rural areas.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join