It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Alices Cookie didnt take me to Wonderland. Stop telling people to avoid medication!!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by djusdjus

i understand everything you said, but for some people its the exact opposite. if i had listened only to my doctors and not to myself and the words of others in my position...i'd either be hospitalized right now, or dead because of how those pills screwed with my body and my brain. and because i didnt put all my trust in my doctors, im alive today. the medication is not for everyone. i have a personality disorder and severe depression and anxiety are a big part of it. the medications made me more sick than the disorder ever has.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Originally posted by broli

You can choose to remain ignorant and lazy by convincing yourself all these doctors and researchers are doing their very best to help you, or you start doing some serious research and regain your health on your own.

Your very rant is actually top shelf ignorance. You have no idea how well educated these people are who are against pharmaceutical medication, nor do you seem to have any clue about the countless cases of corruption and cover ups that have happened during the past century till today in this industry.

This is ironic but you seem to be truly living in wonderland.

Ahem, have you ever known a person with a serious mental condition? A schizophrenic per chance? One who hears voices telling them to mutilate themselves or that everyone is out to get them?

I have known a few in my lifetime and all of them tried being off their medications at one time or another, with disastrous results. Some of them died.

I love these people dearly, but will have nothing to do with them when they don't take their meds.

Go ahead and take whatever concoction you believe can cure you, or make you better if you chose to do so, but don't ever presume to tell other people, who don't know you from Jack what to do.

I just hope for your own sake, that you don't run into somebody that listened to you about not taking meds on one of their bad days.

Then of course, they can cop an insanity plea when they are done with ya!

Exactly

if you don't hold a medical degree DON'T OFFER YOUR ADVISE ON THE MATTER

i'd take the word of a doctor over any person on ATS

taking advise from someone hiding in their basement with a tin foil hat on should get you committed.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Symetra

Not certain I understand your post -- not challenging, just asking, because it doesn't seem that antidepressants have much to do with oseoporosis.

Perhaps I misunderstood -- the string of laughing smilies didn't seem to illuminate your point.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Its amazing to me how much faith people put in doctors lol.. does the term 'practicing' not concern anyone? My husband was, not long ago, given a few different perscriptions for pain relief, one was a nerve tablet.. doing research before he took any of them most likely saved his life as at least 2 of them were not ever.. ever to be combined as they had a high risk of causing heart failure! I am not at all saying all drs are evil or that they dont know what they are talking about, there are of course, some really decent ones out there.. but to act like they know 'everything' is just plain silly.. they are, afterall, like all of us here, only human. they make mistakes, they dont always check things through or think clearly.. and it HAS cost many lives because of such errors. Then theres the problem that long term side effects are not usually known until they start showing up- one example is my mother, who when she was 18-20 i believe was put on dilantin for epilepsy..she is now in her early 60s and most of her spinal discs have eroded, her bones are far more fragile than they should be for her age, and her new Doctor has told her she now has osteoporosis because of the medication and its long term use.. severe memory loss has also been a problem for her, linked to the drug. Now yes, this is only one out of i would guess..thousands of instances out there..but it happens far more often than it should. I was perscribed some time ago now, a pain killer called Tramadol, and its a pretty new medication- an alternative to opiate based meds to be easier on the stomach, its entirely man made, all chemicals..and its not been out long enough to know what it will do to the bodies of those taking it for 15-20 years yet...again, thats only one example. Conspiracy minded or not, it cant be ignored that psychologists and many doctors and hospitals world wide are paid a nice chunk of cash to keep the big pharma rolling.. they often help each other and not the people they are actually meant to be helping. Thats not paranoia, its life as we know it in our present reality. One can buy pretty much anything and anyone with enough money. I know the OPs point is that people shouldnt tell others to stop their meds, and no one should, it is dangerous as personal circumstances arent always known..but drugs are just as dangerous in other ways, and just because a doctor, or 2 or 3 doctors tells you its ok to take, does not make it so.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Isn't what you are doing raving and ranting about the people who explain why we shouldn't take meds? Isn't it up to the listener to take what the other is saying with a critical eye and act based on his or her own ideas?
Wouldn't it be the fault of the person who listens if he or she decides to not take medications, just because someone else told him or her? Are we not in control of our own decisions anymore that we must take out any who speak differently?
Do the people who say medication is bad, do they shove this into peoples throat?

Anyone in this world is capable of telling you what is true and what is not, but it is up to you what you do with the information.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

That's fine, let them know about other information sources. I think that what the OP is trying to tell you is don't make medical decisions for other people. Don't tell someone. "DON'T TAKE THAT DRUG!"

Maybe the resources you provide will make that person talk to their doctor, and maybe that will bring around better treatment. But what the OP is talking about is people who post on her not to take whatever because of (insert paranoid delusion here)

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
How about this: If you are not someone's doctor, do not give them medical advice. it doesn't matter if you have a degree. You do not have the means to diagnose someone over the internet.

As for this issue of chemicals imbalances, it's not proven. It's a theory. How do you test for that? What is the optimum balance? Do anti-depressants truly bring these chemicals into balance? Now, before you start yelling at me, I'm not telling anyone, anything about their pills. I can't tell you what to do. I will say I think we are just shooting into the dark until we can answer the above questions. There may be more effective and safer ways to treat depression.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm not entirely sure that anti-depressants really work.... but on the other hand, i wouldn't tell someone not to take them... and i mean just tell them, if they asked I would say try other methods first.

Now Oz said that he didn't get better until he was medicated and was seeking counselling/psychiatric help together...

Personally I think the shift probably happens when you admit you need help... you go to your doctor and talk it all through, you get meds, you speak to someone... and it starts to change and feel different from there.

As someone else said, the pills could be sugar pills (a placebo) and you would still feel yourself changing and getting better.
You've admitted you have a problem and have unburdened yourself and you're talking it through on a regular basis, you don't feel so alone any more..

As Karl Hungis said, it seems this thread stems from the other depression thread and i personally don't see anything wrong with people discussing their experiences and ideas on depression.
Nobody should Tell anyone else how or what to take or not take in terms of drugs/medicine... but talking things through and seeing what worked for different people is fine IMO.

I can understand why this thread was created and it was done out of kindness... which is commendable, but I think to tell people to just trust their doctors and take whatever they give you and just believe whatever they tell you, is as irresponsible as telling people to not take their meds.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Doctors just chat and prescribe, and a physician doesn't know about mental health. Research the info on the internet before popping a pill that the doctor has NO clue of.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
anti depressants are not a good thing, they only numb you and make you forget your problems, my father was addicted to sun shine drugs prescribed by the doctor for 18 years, they eventually made him epeleptic, he also had to become an alcoholic to get himself off of the tablets because he felt becomeing a drunk was easier to kick, he eventually achieved all of this, although still epeleptic.I have inherited my fathers clinical depression, i do not take medication for my condition, i have taught myself how to not be depressed, i have only to think of what happened to my dad to guide me, why dont you try breathing and yoga if you dont already and maybe attend a class for positive thinking, and the biggest one of all for all you people on anti depressants, STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELVES

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
To those who think they are depressed..

Instead of pills I would suggest a few of these things first (from my own experience)

1)Go to the park,beach,pool and enjoy the sunshine instead of staying indoors all day long..Nature is your friend and key to staying sane

2)Go to the gym,go for a run/walk and enjoy the fresh air/sunshine

3)Talk to someone about your problems...keeping them inside will only make it worse and will accomplish nothing.

4)Try and find a companion with the same view points and likes that you have.

5)If you are stressed out I would suggest listening to some Jazz or classical music and let the music take you away for awhile

6)Hot showers and baths are always a plus

7)See a chiropractor.It may sound silly but most of your stress gets store in your muscles and requires you get a good massage which will make you feel a thousand times better.

If all else fails then I guess a poison pill will do but just taking a pill willnot make everything better. Try some of the above and get back to me because ALL OF THE ABOVE really helped me get over "Depression"

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I can't speak for myself, but I've never made medical decisions for other people. If they can't make their own informed decision among the opinions of me, their doctor, or anyone else, it's their own fault.

I have a large dislike for anti-depressants. They do help SOME people, just not nearly as many as are prescribed. My opinion isn't based on some medical conspiracy or anything like that, but by the simple research of what the drug does to you. I know some people who have benefited from them but everyone one of those people there are 10 I know that have been negatively affected by them.

It's over prescribed and even when it's properly prescribed often times it is hit and miss with the patient. To put it in completely simplified terms, the drug basically acts like how overcharging a battery works, the battery being the parts of the brain that supply seratonin and other chemicals in the brain. For many people, like with batteries, basically by forcefully increasing performance for the short term it damages these part of the brain in the long term. But for some people, it's actually what they need, and the body naturally helps repair it overtime. However, often times those who take it just don't have the actual need for it and while it can relieve in the short term it does massive damage in the long term.

It is a rather unknown subject of pharmacology and in my own opinion, like how so many kids are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and they are prescribed various stimulants to help with this when in the end they don't really need it, the same can be said about anyone prescribed anti-depressants.

To say that some, if not most, of the people who are prescribed these drugs can't help themselves in some way or fashion and get better without them is so wrong from the truth considering I was one of these people who was suggested to take anti-depressants and I didn't. Instead I got into meditation and some other practices I'm not going to go into huge detail on, but since I was diagnosed with my depression and anxiety problems, I've been able to help myself rather than rely on a drug to do so.

But don't take my word for. Look into other peoples opinion and look at the facts, there are solid arguments on both sides of the aisle but in my own personal experience and through my own studying of the subject matter as well as my knowledge of chemistry....I just wouldn't suggest anyone to take them. They're bad. It's that simple. Sure, it helps some people. But in the grand scheme of everything, considering short term and long term effects, and looking at all the numbers of people that take it, I would argue and almost guarantee that they have caused more harm than good.

The only conspiracy that is fully true with the medical industry is the fact that doctors make money by prescribing medicine, and it's evident that some doctors care more about the money than the well being of their patients. Maybe some actually believe what they're doing for the money is also for the greater good of the people but I doubt it.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

First the govt hides their questionable (at best) intentions for an Iraq war behind "support our troops", never mind why we went there **cough oil cough**.

Now, we will get this same type of drivel about vaccination drives. "Trust your doctor" the slogan to hide their sick agenda.

Have you looked outside your window? World going crazy, or starting to? There's a reason for it, and "trusting my doctor" doesn't shine a light on that. It's peak oil, the end of industrial civilization. Everyone will be baring their fangs, even your doctors...

And one last point. Even the most conscientious of doctors are not entirely trustworthy because they themselves are too trusting. Too trusting of Big Pharma and CDC, etc.
And yes, be skeptical of me too.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i think medication is fine...its the doctors that are whats wrong here.

MANY gp's and doctors simply dont care about you or your health.

my GP sees perhaps 100 people a day do you think he personally cares for each one? no...he most likely rushes through an appointment and rushes to write a prescription without taking his time.

blaming everybodies problem on drink, smoking or lack of excersize.

the medication (imo) is created with the best intentions...but given to the doctors who just dont give a sh*t.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I take the approach that most other people take to this subject. If you're stupid enough to fall for Pharms, then you deserve to be hurt by them. Anybody can see that these "anti-depressants" and "ADD Medication" is absolutely terrible for the human mind, and the body. Most mental disorders can be overcome by meditation and willpower. If you're not strong enough, then go ahead and subject yourself to medication that makes these problems worse.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symetra
reply to post by argentus

Yes, the Illuminati- ists (Catholics) are not of Christ. Most doctors if you check are Catholic (Freemasons).

I must be safe, because where I live nearly all doctors are Asian, mostly Hindu or Sikh.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
I take the approach that most other people take to this subject. If you're stupid enough to fall for Pharms, then you deserve to be hurt by them. Anybody can see that these "anti-depressants" and "ADD Medication" is absolutely terrible for the human mind, and the body. Most mental disorders can be overcome by meditation and willpower. If you're not strong enough, then go ahead and subject yourself to medication that makes these problems worse.

Are you a doctor? My aunt would have killed herself if it were not for anti-depressants. She's off them now after extensive counselling, but without the drugs she would never have suceeded with the therapy.

You i believe, like many others, talk from a position of ignorance when it comes to severe clinical depression. Oh and what about schizophrenia? Have you ever had to deal with a schizophrenic who is off his/her meds?

Until you have please sit down and be quiet.

EDIT

You should also be aware that meditation can make certain mental disorders worse!

[edit on 22-2-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

You are right.

How many times have people on this thread alone stated that clinical depression (not just feeling low because of a crap life) is a MEDICAL CONDITION. It is not caused by spiritual problems. Councelling will not help on it's own, because councelling can only help the psychological problems, not the physical chemical imbalaces in the brain.

The people who are spouting yoga etc are obviously speaking from ignorance. Would you say to someone with a broken leg to do yoga, get exercise and stop feeling sorry for yourself?

I'll admit that exercise and proper diet will help with clinical depression, because the endirphines will help to rebalance the brain chemistry, but it is a quick fix and once the endorphine high wears off, you're right back to where you started.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join