It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News (conservatives) declare WAR against Higher Education

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Funny you should mention "chip implant". When the time comes, I'm positive most of the "intellectuals" will be calling for the chipping of everyone. Perhaps they will go first to show everyone that it is perfectly safe? It will be those with true Higher education that will be the wiser.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Angus123
Anti-intellectualism is all the rage in right wing circles.

Actually, it's anti-elitism that is the rage in "right-wing circles".

The elitism that goes with liberal "intellectuals" being so sure they are more intelligent than the "common people" - like the ones that watch Fox News and vote against "progressive" candidates.

"Elites" must put up with such regular people on a daily basis and it confounds them to no end.

Reminder, there aren't too many of our politicians who have not graduated from a form of higher education. That means that the conservatives and the liberals qualify as "elitists" collectively and they would rather keep education to themselves rather than empower the little guy like you and I. That's the point of this thread. They don't want a thinking class of intellectuals, they want an uneducated class of robots who follow orders.

The elites are the ones who are in control and are the ruling class. Not everyone who graduates from the Universities ends up passing legislation and screwing tax payers. Many people who have graduated ARE the taxpayers.

This thread isn't about conservative against liberal, its about smart vs dumb and the wealthy v.s. the taxpayer. They want to remain the only people who have access to education and they want that for a reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Why are we ragging on people who build houses? It's an honorable profession. You can't cut down someone else to raise another and expect to be taken seriously. What are you going to rag on next? Fixing cars? Toilets? Computers?

I'm in college right now. I'm a music major. From my own observation, most of the students in college shouldn't be there. The jobs they want to pursue don't require a degree in truth. It's became a requirement because people know it's expensive. It's feeding a system that is not to your advantage. If you want to be a doctor, a lawyer, a scientist, a fine artist, a computer programmer, something of that nature-Go to college. That's good for you. I've worked in radio. It doesn't require a degree. It requires some technical knowledge that one can easily learn in a library. It requires a freaking loudmouth with an opinion who can press the play button. I don't begrudge Foxnews for having broadcasters without degrees. A degree is not going to bestow talent on you. I know plenty of Music college graduates who can't get into classical music. Their not good enough. There are many people in classical who do not have degrees at all. Why? They are good enough. A piece of paper guarantees you nothing.

As for liberal bias, never encountered a professor like that. I can't say I think it's true.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by antonia]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by xRedlinex

"... these people don't do neither."
Do I need to say the words?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilw85
This clip wasn't a "war" against higher education. I think that they were merely pointing out a study that was done. At no point did I get the message to rally against "higher education".

I had some "higher" education myself at 2 universities and a community college. I actually agree with some of their points. I think we need to ensure that these institutions are actually teaching critical thinking instead of the cookie cutter mentality that I ran into.

Calling it a "WAR" on education is the same as Bush and his "WARS" on drugs/terror. Same tactic.

And why has noone pointed out that we have already been a bit brainwashed by the way we judge the intelligence/worth of others based on a whether or not they paid for their slip of paper from the school.

As far as I am concerned if you align yourself with either "liberal" or "conservative" then all of the education you recieve hasn't made you any smarter.

Actually, I highly disagree. I recognize this rhetoric for what it is as I have seen it before when debating the war in Afghanistan, Iraq, and now...Iran. They like to present evidence, or a study, in order to condition the public and gauge their reactions, and then, after a brief time, they throw around conjecture...and then, BOOM. Rights are being taken away. Its pretty easy to see the design, but, if you've been fooled by it before, it only makes sense that you would be fooled by it again.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I can just hear the conservatives in their geriatric mentality..."Universities? In my day we didn't have no time for a pansy-smansy education...we were real men...we got shipped off to war...so you can have the freedom to...."

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry
Personally, I am not Democrat or Republican, but, I officially believe that Fox News and those who stand by this frame of thought have completely lost their minds.

What in the world is your problem?
First, it is a report of a study....studies are profiled all the time on all tv networks.
Second, are you disputing the results? Have you lived this long unaware that colleges and universities lean Left???? Even the Left will tell you this. Nothing at all controversial about it.
ONE example (FIRST one I came to on long Google list):

"By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

"The disparity is even more pronounced at the most elite schools, where, according to the study, 87 percent of faculty are liberal and 13 percent are conservative."

From (Liberal) Washington Post, Mar 29, 2005
"College Faculties A Most Liberal Lot, Study Finds"
www.washingtonpost.com...

This isn't about liberalism vs conservatism. It is about the educated vs the non-educated. Personally, I believe that anyone who blindly identifies with either of these ideologies are quite short sighted because it makes it easier to manipulate you by political affiliations which is quite evident in your response to me.

You ask me what my problem is...

Well, my problem is how people blindly align themselves with studies that verify their predisposed positions. It is evident that you reject education and agree with the conservative attitude about it. Well, that's fine. No one wants to force you to learn. But for those of us who would like access to the same information that the "elites" have, education is not only an outlet, but, ultimately, its power.

If you don't welcome the ability to improve your information flow and to critically think like the fools who have sunk this country into an oblivion (dems and republicans), then by all means...stay ignorant. I certainly don't want to rain on your parade. However, I choose to remain enlightened and educated, that way when "studies" like this are released, I don't just fall hook, line, and sinker for the propaganda and blitzkrieg tactics that they present to the uneducated masses.

By the way, I hope you don't judge the tone of this response as aggressive or angry. It isn't. Since I have no way of being able to change the tone of the print, it is going to sound a bit worse than it is. I am simply being honest. In my opinion, after many of the tactics that I have witnessed Fox News (faux news) employ,...this may be one of the worst.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by amicrazy
reply to post by mnemeth1

I do not reply very often, however your post had me cheering!!
What BS we have been fed since the modern world has been weaned off the GOLD standard.

When, where and how has it become acceptable for a young worker to start his or her career in DEBT to the tune of $150,000. Everybody should be SCREAMING in the streets at this!!! That is a HOME for crying out loud!!!!

I am in Australia so these figures haven't reached us yet, I stress YET!

You, sir are a smart man and your post struck a chord with me.

Thank you.

I definitely cannot disagree with your statement. But, the most important thing here is that education stays available to the masses whether they go into debt or not. Personally, if education improves the standards of our country and our ability to further industry, economy, and politics, then education should technically be free to all. It could only benefit us as a civilization.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowe
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

Isn't it ironic it's the same Fox News that misspelled *Education*? If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Oh my God...that IS hilarious. Thanks for posting!!! I'm going to have to post that on my facebook. Quite professional on their behalf. Well conservatives...here is the reason why education is needed!!! And Fox News actually attempts to call themselves legitimate...JEEZ. Spell check much??? It only takes a second.

Thanks!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
maybe the republicans need more voters?
-sorry

OMG best line I've heard in days.

2nd line

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I can just hear the conservatives in their geriatric mentality..."Universities? In my day we didn't have no time for a pansy-smansy education...we were real men...we got shipped off to war...so you can have the freedom to...."

Agreed. Unfortunately, that seems to be part of the problem for sure. Then there's the idea that they simply would rather keep us completely ignorant so that we have no idea what types of policies that they pass behind our backs.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koolcdj69

Originally posted by cushycrux
maybe the republicans need more voters?
-sorry

OMG best line I've heard in days.

2nd line

Yeah... I liked it too. Pretty clever.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I personally do not trust Fox completely except for maybe Judge Napalitano maybe. Glenn Beck is a fake, so is Palin. I believe Alex Jones over Beck any day.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilw85
reply to post by GideonHM

Funny you should mention "chip implant". When the time comes, I'm positive most of the "intellectuals" will be calling for the chipping of everyone. Perhaps they will go first to show everyone that it is perfectly safe? It will be those with true Higher education that will be the wiser.

Hmmm...I really have no idea what this post is saying. Therefore its hard to adequately address your point. Chipping will be presented as helpful and useful (supposedly, it will deter crime, help find your kids and pets etc) as it is currently being presented. Eventually when the economic crisis gets worse, they will claim that its mandatory and illegalize cash currency as Greece is currently attempting. Then at some point, they'll force it on people. I don't know if that is a democrat vs republican thing as opposed to totalitarian vs freedom.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Two stories from my college experience:

The question was whether America was a strong or weak state. The question had to deal with the ability of the people to change the government. I said weak state because the people through the 2nd amendment could change the government and I quoted Jefferson stating the same message. The teacher threw a big red line threw it and needless to say, I didn’t get a good grade on that test. I went to see him. This is from the person who set up the guidelines for this nation. He said “MMMM in theory maybe but no” The next question on the test was why should every country in the World have nuclear weapons (Not a direct quote of the question but it was along those lines)

Another time I did a paper on Senatorial Staff and Influence. I got a D in research effort. I interviewed a sitting US Senator and about 6 staff members. The Senator was very right and the teacher was very left.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Agreed. Unfortunately, that seems to be part of the problem for sure. Then there's the idea that they simply would rather keep us completely ignorant so that we have no idea what types of policies that they pass behind our backs.

I almost agree with that, save for the fact that most of them seem like they are uneducated and they want to keep the rest of us that way simply because they are. They fear the knowledgeable, as an educated individual is much more difficult to out think, our reason, out smart, out debate, etc...In short, they fear what they don't have.

I don't believe that the conservatives have any idea what policies they pass...that's why they hate liberals...because liberals come along and point out the flaws in their thinking...and conservatives have a difficult time swallowing their pride and admitting when they are wrong....they hate it so much that they have a term for that...when a liberal changes their stance based upon the latest information...the conservatives call it waffling.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I can tell you right now that most jobs available today do not require a college education, and is thus an unnecessary burden on people. You don't need college courses to educate yourself, and I'd say only fields like Architecture, Engineering, Medicine, etc actually require a teacher and years of specialized training.

And yeah, the political climate of each school varies. At UT, just about every history class is about slaves and there is a large liberal bias here, but at other places I could say the opposite. (By the way, not saying slave history is not worthwhile, but it shouldn't be the main focus of almost every history class, especially when they don't advertise their classes that way lol.)

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Viral]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thinline
Two stories from my college experience:

The question was whether America was a strong or weak state. The question had to deal with the ability of the people to change the government. I said weak state because the people through the 2nd amendment could change the government and I quoted Jefferson stating the same message. The teacher threw a big red line threw it and needless to say, I didn’t get a good grade on that test. I went to see him. This is from the person who set up the guidelines for this nation. He said “MMMM in theory maybe but no” The next question on the test was why should every country in the World have nuclear weapons (Not a direct quote of the question but it was along those lines)

Another time I did a paper on Senatorial Staff and Influence. I got a D in research effort. I interviewed a sitting US Senator and about 6 staff members. The Senator was very right and the teacher was very left.

Well, the definition of a weak state is one that cannot provide necessary provisions for its citizens. Examples include, but not limited to:
1. loss of control or an inability to defend its territory
2. the inability for a legitimate authority to make decision
3. inability to provide its citizens public services and security
4. The inability for the state to interact with the international community or to officially become a member thereof.
So, I understand why you didn't fare so well on that test.

Secondly, if you didn't present an adequate hypothesis and defend that hypothesis with the strong definitions and explanations of what makes a state weak, then you would also lose points there.

Third...whether the senator was on the right and whether your teacher was on the left is irrelevant to the grade. I know this because I am also a double major poly-sci/telecommunications who often must argue both angles (right and left), and currently I have a 3.85 GPA. This may seem like bragging, but it isn't. It is a way for me to inform you of the provisions of presenting a good argument and backing it with relevant information in the Political Science field.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viral
I can tell you right now that most jobs available today do not require a college education, and is thus an unnecessary burden on people. You don't need college courses to educate yourself, and I'd say only fields like Architecture, Engineering, Medicine, etc actually require a teacher and years of specialized training.

And yeah, the political climate of each school varies. At UT, just about every history class is about slaves and there is a large liberal bias here, but at other places I could say the opposite. (By the way, not saying slave history is not worthwhile, but it shouldn't be the main focus of almost every history class, especially when they don't advertise their classes that way lol.)

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Viral]

Well, that's because the majority of jobs are in the service industry forcing the majority of people to make under 20,000 a year.
1. fast food
2. car wash
3. electronics/sales
4. Wal-Mart
5. convenience stores
6. secretarial
7. sales industry
8. telemarketing etc.
9. security
10. cashiers

I could go on an on, but, if one wants to avoid the bottom of the pile and avoid minimum wage, a college education is necessary.

Not to say that you don't have good points, but, the majority of jobs is just that. Jobs. Most people would much rather have a career.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

You certainly have a point. But, I always keep in mind that many of the decisions are merely passed by the legislators (dems and repubs), but dictated by corporations. Hence lobbyism etc...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join