It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS System: Carjacker's Jackpot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but I thought it fit.

The current GPS systems used in cars are a carjackers dream come true. Any system that uses a "home" function -- meaning you select home from your programmed destinations -- is the worst and most unsafe feature to utilize.

Once someone has your car -- and more than likely your house keys if they didn't need to hot wire it -- he/she can now simply hit the home button on your GPS system and be able to identify exactly where you live. In fact, if they are an out-of-town thief, it would even give them step-by-step directions directly to your front door. Plus, they now may even have the key to get in!!

Keep in mind they will have your home address and be able to "visit" at any time -- not necessarily just when your car first gets stolen.

Instead, program the HOME button with the address of your local police station. Then, since we can't be without the route to our home at all times, save the address to your house under another title -- such as your last name, a favorite location that you haven't stored elsewhere, etc. Something you will be able to easily find but not obvious to your average run-of-the-mill criminal.

With the recession, there have been a lot of petty crimes. People leave their car running to go grab a cup of coffee or something and someone else comes along and steals what's inside. With the car running, it will only take seconds for someone to slip in, hit the home button, and get your exact address. Not something you would want someone to have -- especially if you show up at the same coffee shop everyday and they can ascertain exactly when the house would be empty. Further, who needs what could have been a petty crime -- such as stealing some CDs, a laptop, etc., turning into a home burglary.

I thought I would just pass this advice along since many people -- at least the ones that I know -- use their GPS systems constantly and never think about all of the information contained on them.

This same warning would apply to any device -- cell phone, portable GPS, etc. -- that could be stolen and provide all of your home / personal information.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Good point.
I started programming it for "home" but something didn't quite feel right about.
Couldn't put my finger on it then, now I know why.
Thanks for the ounce of security.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
See....this is the reason I come to ATS.

You learn things.

I'm going to pass this on to my friends and family....because it never occurred to me (and it seems so obvious now).

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
When I was running pawnshops, we would look at the home address on the GPS the customer was pawning, and compare it to their ID address...

If they didn't match we couldn't take it.

I actually got this idea from local PD.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
....because it never occurred to me (and it seems so obvious now).

It doesn't occur to most people I don't think, so you're in good company.

It's one of those modern conveniences that we all love to use (me included!) but forget the possible ramifications of such conveniences.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
When I was running pawnshops, we would look at the home address on the GPS the customer was pawning, and compare it to their ID address...

If they didn't match we couldn't take it.

I actually got this idea from local PD.

Perhaps I should include a disclaimer telling people not to follow this advice if they plan to pawn it out later?

Of course if it's stolen, and then their house gets robbed, they won't have to worry about the pawn man rejecting them anyway!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This thread pops up just as...last night someone busted out my window of my car at a mall parking lot during daytime hours and stole nothing but my GPS unit. I used to have a 'Home' button but when I was playing with it Friday, I accidentally erased all the info on the GPS - saved locations, distance/speed traveled etc. I'd only updated a few of my work location addresses in it since then though.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Not too many people "plan" on pawning stuff...it just happens.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It has been thought of and handled. I sell Hondas and they have a pin number you program with the "home" address.

Otherwise, like you said, the valet can take your car, rob your house, and KNOW you won't be home yet because you're eating at his workplace!

But ya, good thought, but it has been handled

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Good point.
Even if they don't have your keys, they likely have access to your garage (door opener).
If it's an attached garage, getting access to your house wold be a breeze.

This is definately worth passing on.

Another thought:
If someone truly needs gps directions to their front door, well.....

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Done this ever since i got my gps after seeing it on a tv show about how criminals do stuff.

I now have my 'home' set to a random location near my house (cant use the local police station because its about 2 houses down from me) so i can still get accurate journey times etc but if anyone tries to go to my home address as described on my sat nav they wont be going to my house.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vapedson
It has been thought of and handled. I sell Hondas and they have a pin number you program with the "home" address.

Otherwise, like you said, the valet can take your car, rob your house, and KNOW you won't be home yet because you're eating at his workplace!

But ya, good thought, but it has been handled

I have one. Acura actually. You have to set it up to accept a pin, it is not the default choice -- at least not on mine. And not available a few years ago at all.

Plus...not EVERYONE drives a Honda....at least not yet....

top topics

join