It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I research what to eat?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Grass fed red meat isn't bad for you. The studies are just that studies they have no bearing on anything, the people they study eat factory farm grain fed meat and most likely dine out at fast food and restaurants a couple times a month. Its like comparing poison(the grain fed pesticide antibiotic laden meat) vs. real food(the grass fed organic meat). The article you linked even go's over this fact

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hey, anyone replying to STFUPPERCUTTER's post, here's a little 411:

Troll is his name and baiting is his game.

It's quite typical of militant vegetarians.

-Dev

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sourdough4life

Thanks but,

I'll take my chances avoiding red meat altogether. I still don't like the stats. Roses still have thorns no matter what soil their grown in.

www.webmd.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Obviously, it's your own choice whether you eat meat or not, but if you really look at the literature....the idea that meat causes cancer, or any other chronic degenerative disease, is bogus.

I'm not going to try and convince you. I do, however, understand why you, and most people, believe this common myth. And I know that all I can do is provide you with the data. So....

The evidence provided in the article from WebMD is observational, which provides no proof of cause, merely association. What's wrong with that? I can find you just as many studies that demonstrate a negative association between meat consumption and cancer indidence.

Meta-analysis of animal fat or animal protein intake and colorectal cancer

Conclusion: On the basis of the results of this quantitative assessment, the available epidemiologic evidence does not appear to support an independent association between animal fat intake or animal protein intake and colorectal cancer.

The association between total dietary fat, including fat constituents such as saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and cholesterol, and risk of colorectal cancer has been evaluated in numerous epidemiologic [observational] studies. Results from these analytic investigations have generally been mixed. Whereas some studies have reported positive associations, several studies have observed null and inverse associations. In a pooled analysis of data from 13 case-controlled studies, risk of colorectal cancer was found to increase significantly with increasing categories of total daily energy intake. In the same analysis, and after adjustment for total energy intake, the authors observed no evidence of an energy-independent effect of total dietary fat or specific fat components other than cholesterol. In fact, many of the associations among men and women were in the inverse direction [i.e., more animal fat equals greater longevity].

That's a Meta-Analysis, which combines the results of several studies that address a set of related research hypotheses. These types of studies also have their flaws, but the point is there is no reason to put stock in a studies tha are non-conclusive, especially when other studies exist that seem to completely contradict them. If epidemiology provides results that are all over the board, which is the case with cancer and red-meat consumption, then, chances are, there are other major contributing factors. In fact, in these situtations, it's probably true that the associations are just that, associative, and the chance that red-meat causes cancer is just as likely as skid marks causing automobile accidents (after all, skid marks ARE associated with wrecks).

Dr. Mike Eades sums it up nicely:

The point of this post is that you shouldn’t get wound up about a study that gets reported throughout the media because there are more than likely other studies that are just as well done and just as important showing exactly the opposite findings that the press chooses to ignore. You’re not seeing the science as it is, you’re seeing the science as the press wants you to see it, which, typically, is the way that confirms the bias of members of the press.

As a journalist friend of ours once remarked: what is news? News is whatever the reporter decides it is. In my opinion, they decided wrongly in this case.

Source

-Dev

[edit on 15-2-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
if it comes packaged in plastic. ditch it.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

You may be right, however my reasons for avoiding red meat go beyond the supposed health issues. I ate red meat for the first third of my life. Towards the end of it's consumption I didn't like how I felt after consuming red meat. I had a heavy, bloated feeling, constipation, tired, etc.

And oddly enough I felt it affected my spirituality. I don't expect to make any sort of logical argument for this here, or win anyone over, only that I could sense a difference in the nuances of the way I felt.

I find there are much lighter sources of protein that have supporting research.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There you go! If all else fails....just listen to your body.

-Dev

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i am fine with tap water, processed food and tons of red meat if:

a. i dont eat anything that contains MSG. nastiest sh*t ever invented. let alone put in your food. learn all its different names and avoid it like a plague. i actually buy beans, veggies, tuna in a can. i dont really care what`s in those cans as long as there`s no monosodium glutamate. so far it worked out good. also the more ingredients a processed food has the worse it is. another thing that makes me sick are nitrites and nitrates that`s why i stay the hell away from processed sausages that contain them.

b. whole wheat over white bread. i love eating spaghetti and meatballs. just make the noodles out of whole wheat.

c. eat baked sweet potato. kills craving of everything fried. one`s enough to feel full for a long time. my body feels very good if i eat baked potato often.

d. i drink coffee. it keeps me regular, cleans up my skin and makes my bowels very relaxed. just dont over drink it. makes you nervous and jittery. i take breaks in my coffee drinking habit. and no soda. never. also no aspartame. ever!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

You may be right, however my reasons for avoiding red meat go beyond the supposed health issues. I ate red meat for the first third of my life. Towards the end of it's consumption I didn't like how I felt after consuming red meat. I had a heavy, bloated feeling, constipation, tired, etc.

i love steaks. and i feel perfect no matter how much i eat it. what makes me bloated and tired are sweets, lactose containing foods and white bread.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I've been fasting today while in full lotus. I could feel my pancreas cleaning out and my liver is still cleaning out. Booze, meat and sugar -- it's good to fast to clear out those blockages. Otherwise you don't know about it -- and while fasting all these subconscious emotional blockages get released since the organs store the emotions - and nutrition creates emotional blockages -- they're both electrochemical energy.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
the problem is that there are as many variables as there are solutions to your specific situation.
experiment with a few diets would be my best advice.
personally, im a vegetarian and have never felt better.
some people cant grasp the idea and will resist it with every molocule of their being because of the way they were educated ( or lack thereof) and the way they were raised.
generally speaking, if you want to lsoe weight, reduce caloric intake. and do work.
and if you wish to gain wieght, increase caloric intake. and do less work.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It's good to keep in mind that lettuce has no nutritional value, so if you eat a nice salad make sure you load it with veggies. Use baby spinnach or mixed greens over regular iceburg lettuce.

I say this cause i saw a HUGE girl get a salad today in front of me today. Its good that she was trying to eat healthy, and she probably felt like she ate healthy, but her salad consisted of lettuce, cheese, croutons, and ranch dressing. All that green just served as a vehicle to shovel more ranch dressing into her gut.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gamecock
It's good to keep in mind that lettuce has no nutritional value

It has just about as much nutritional value as any other green or vegetables, especially if you use the romaine, green or red leaf variety.

I personally think green salads are pretty worthless for the most part tho, people think they are doing them self a huge favor eating a big salad(usually drenched in some processed dressing). Salads might look like they have a lot of nutrition on paper but when it actually comes down to how much you actually absorb i think its less then people think, especially if your not a really good chewer. This is where steamed greens and veggies really come in handy, much better choice imo

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gamecock

My sentiments exactly. I brought this up to a family member at dinner last night. However, it should be clear that you are referring to iceburg lettuce, and not other, healthier lettuce, such as romaine.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join