It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World may not be warming, say scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

World may not be warming, say scientists

www.timesonline.co.uk

The United Nations climate panel faces a new challenge with scientists casting doubt on its claim that global temperatures are rising inexorably because of human pollution.

In its last assessment the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said the evidence that the world was warming was “unequivocal”.

It warned that greenhouse gases had already heated the world by 0.7C and that there could be 5C-6C more warming by 2100, with devastating impacts on humanity and wildlife. However, new
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
More fuel for the claims of unscientific climate change. Britain is really goin' ham on these stories. Every day they are hitting harder and harder. New scandals break everyday regarding climategate.

The real question is, when will the American press pick up the slack? Even Fox news are apparently sycophants right now.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

Bill O'Reilly invited 2 groups of people to debate the Global Warming
issue. When the Global Warming alarmist found out who the other
guy was he canceled and ran away. The Global Cooling guy brought
in a lot of great information including the chart on this link below.
Truth be told the Earth has been cooling for the last 8 years.
See for yourself.Earth Cooling For the last 8 years

The truth shall set us free.
IPCC = Fiction

[edit on 14-2-2010 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Living here in england, I'm starting to wish it was warming lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Only one thing to say....... Well Duh!!!!!!... We all kinda knew that already..

Does this mean I get all those taxes I paid back for BS global warming intiatives??????

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
Only one thing to say....... Well Duh!!!!!!... We all kinda knew that already..

Does this mean I get all those taxes I paid back for BS global warming intiatives??????

They are selling Global Warming over there because they are getting
$$$ Billions to do it.
You should demand they all get thrown in prison for collusion.
Hide the decline = hide the truth

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Took em this long even with the snow to figure out the earth isn't warming. Greedy morons just like our government. Before long they'll say get ready for the big ice age and we'll be back to heavy polluting to warm us back up. What a joke.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This article proves nothing except to show that more research needs to be done.

The reality is that the science on what is causing climate change is incomplete.

The last 2 paragraphs in this article put forward a counter argument to the rest of the article:

The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts has recently issued a new set of global temperature readings covering the past 30 years, with thermometer readings augmented by satellite data.

Dr Vicky Pope, head of climate change advice at the Met Office, said: “This new set of data confirms the trend towards rising global temperatures and suggest that, if anything, the world is warming even more quickly than we had thought.”

Personally, I am not convinced about global warming.

I just want to be told the truth.

One one hand, I don't want to be forced to pay more for a tax that does nothing to curb emissions and on the other I don't want to continue being manipulated into a dependance on fossils fuels.

[edit on 14/2/10 by Horza]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Isn't Timesonline a tabloid? Whoever wrote this article must of been fighting with their alternate personality because it flops back and forth worse then a politician.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This article was in one of the papers today - plus there's a forecast of snow next week.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The academic at the centre of the ‘Climategate’ affair, whose raw data is crucial to the theory of climate change, has admitted that he has trouble ‘keeping track’ of the information.
Colleagues say that the reason Professor Phil Jones has refused Freedom of Information requests is that he may have actually lost the relevant papers.
Professor Jones told the BBC yesterday there was truth in the observations of colleagues that he lacked organisational skills, that his office was swamped with piles of paper and that his record keeping is ‘not as good as it should be’.
The data is crucial to the famous ‘hockey stick graph’ used by climate change advocates to support the theory.
Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon.
And he said that for the past 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming.
The admissions will be seized on by sceptics as fresh evidence that there are serious flaws at the heart of the science of climate change and the orthodoxy that recent rises in temperature are largely man-made.
Professor Jones has been in the spotlight since he stepped down as director of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit after the leaking of emails that sceptics claim show scientists were manipulating data.
The raw data, collected from hundreds of weather stations around the world and analysed by his unit, has been used for years to bolster efforts by the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to press governments to cut carbon dioxide emissions.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by berenike]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

From the end of your sited article:

Kevin Trenberth, a lead author of the chapter of the IPCC report that deals with the observed temperature changes, said he accepted there were problems with the global thermometer record but these had been accounted for in the final report.

“It’s not just temperature rises that tell us the world is warming,” he said. “We also have physical changes like the fact that sea levels have risen around five inches since 1972, the Arctic icecap has declined by 40% and snow cover in the northern hemisphere has declined.”

The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts has recently issued a new set of global temperature readings covering the past 30 years, with thermometer readings augmented by satellite data.

Dr Vicky Pope, head of climate change advice at the Met Office, said: “This new set of data confirms the trend towards rising global temperatures and suggest that, if anything, the world is warming even more quickly than we had thought.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The truth is that nobody knows for certain if the world is warming or cooling. Just like nobody knows how to stop a tornado, or knows when and where a storm will materialize before it does.

To all the scientists out there-- Stop pretending to know what you're doing. You're not fooling anyone. You're keeping this debate going simply so you can procure more grant money so you can keep your job.

Be thankful that we, the common man, are not in charge of whether or not you get grant money, because if we were, you'd be unemployed.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
nice study by these guys ... it kind of explains some anomalys on the results of some data

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Guys.... we have monitored our climate for a very short time compared to earths life so far... I agree we are destroying our planet, we are screwing our ozone up and everyother thing on this planet, but I would think with the evidence that shows that earth has expierienced multiple iceages in its life that the climates we have observed can go much farther in both directions... we are judging our planet on a human scale... judge it on the earth scale... if that were possible.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I am going to try a new way of explaining this.

The nature of the compound CO2 creates what we know as the "greenhouse" effect. We know this much and we also know that humanity's producing more CO2 today than we ever have been.

What we don't know is what leads to the uncertainty in climate change. We don't know all of the other factors which are involved in climate change. We could spend billions curbing the effects of CO2 while other factors change which negate all of our efforts. If we go into another ice age, that is going to be a bigger factor in the climate than extra CO2.

I personally believe that researching the effects of CO2 on the climate is worth the money. At some point in time we will know the other factors involved in climate change and then all of this knowledge will become useful.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I bbbbeelllieve in ggglobal warming...
I do, I do, I DO, I DO...

PLEASE!!!

I BELIEVE! Please God, I am freezing.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Two scientists, a fellow from Alabama (pushing perhaps his own conservative platform) and a Canadian fellow have found and reported on instances where temperature reading apparatus was positioned close to a heat source. Granted this does corrupt some of the findings but I don't think this is necessarily grounds to discount all previous data. Below is I think another very significant quote from this page...

"Kevin Trenberth, a lead author of the chapter of the IPCC report that deals with the observed temperature changes, said he accepted there were problems with the global thermometer record but these had been accounted for in the final report.

“It’s not just temperature rises that tell us the world is warming,” he said. “We also have physical changes like the fact that sea levels have risen around five inches since 1972, the Arctic icecap has declined by 40% and snow cover in the northern hemisphere has declined.”

This is interesting and fairly damming, but far from conclusive in my mind.

new topics

top topics

join