It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supt. sets Friday deadline for Central Falls teachers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Supt. sets Friday deadline for Central Falls teachers

www.projo.com

Central Falls School Supt. Frances Gallo says the teachers union has until Friday afternoon to agree to spend more time with students in and out of the classroom and to focus on improving their teaching, or she will follow through on her vow to terminate all 74 teachers at the high school.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I personally feel that if the teacher's union doesn't work with the Superintendent and the Rhode Island board of Education to try and turn this school around, they should be fired.

Some facts:

- 800 students
- 19-year-olds in classes with 14-year-olds
- 50 percent of the students at the high school are failing all of their classes
- graduation rate of 48 percent

What are the horrible demands made of these poor teachers?

Increase length of school day by 25 minutes to provide more instructional time for students.

Formalize tutoring schedule so struggling students have extra help for one hour before and after school.

Agree to eat lunch with students one day a week to build stronger relationships.

Attend two weeks of professional development in the summer at a rate of $30 an hour.

Stay after school for 90 minutes one day each week to work with fellow teachers analyzing student work and test data and discussing ways to improve teaching at a rate of $30 an hour if Gallo can find grant financing.

Accept more rigorous evaluations by a third-party starting March 1.

These are not unreasonable requests being made, if anything I do not feel it is enough.

Now the average salary of these teachers is 72,000-78,000 dollars a year.

These teachers need to conform to turn this school around. It is obvious that something needs to be done. If it were my job or working a little more to help theses changes take place I would do what was asked of me. I would not be organizing a candle light vigil to decry the abusive behavior I was being subjected to.

www.projo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Doom and Gloom]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

Man I agree with you completely but those damn unions are just as bad as those damn corporations.... We are screwed.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Didn't Reagan fire those damn air traffic controllers ?

What if 50% of their flights had crashed ?

( 50% of the students are failing all of their classes ? )

Axe them if they can't understand. Axe them !

If teachers can't educate, they should consider other work !

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
As far as I can tell the Union did not back down and 74 pink slips will be issued.

I am befuddled at the hard line these retarded unions hold. Unemployment or do my job better hmmm hard decision...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

What do you expect. Pretend to pay them and they pretend to teach.

Ex teacher here. I spent almost as much time working outside the classroom as I did inside the classroom.....for free! And spent my own money on supplies to be used by the students and no reimbursement.
Every couple of years; more college credits for recertification at my expense. Expected to volunteer my time for school functions like dances and sporting events.

You can't fire me........I quit.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by SIEGE

What do you expect. Pretend to pay them and they pretend to teach.

Ex teacher here. I spent almost as much time working outside the classroom as I did inside the classroom.....for free! And spent my own money on supplies to be used by the students and no reimbursement.

You can't fire me........I quit.

Okay. There are always two sides to every story. But . . . I just
bet 50% of your students weren't failing.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by whaaa]

new topics

top topics

join