It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Petraeus’ address preempted by student protest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

On Thursday, January 21, 2010, General David Petraeus addressed Georgetown students and faculty in Gaston Hall.

Approximately 10 student protestors gathered inside and outside Gaston to condemn Petraeus’s strategy in the Middle East and the university’s decision to invite him.

www.infowars.com...

This man should be on trial for treason and crimes against humanity.

mod edit: title changed to reflect title in quoted material

[edit on Wed Feb 10 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
what a bunch of idiots.. yelling at a man who served his country and continuous to do so.. those students are yelling at the wrong man maybe they should be yelling at obama for his war agenda..

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
oh but wait obama is hip and cool... **rolls eyes** i bet you almost all of those college brats voted for obama

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Alamo Ripper

what a bunch of idiots.. yelling at a man who served his country and continuous to do so.. those students are yelling at the wrong man maybe they should be yelling at obama for his war agenda..

Betrayus should be hanging from a lamp post for what he has allowed and encouraged to happen...

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Could you please enlighten us poor ignorant ones on what you perceive to be this mans transgressions during his service to his country.

But then again it is people like him serving his country that has helped preserve the right of those children to stand outside and protest.

It is not a privilege in all country's of the world.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

Could you please enlighten us poor ignorant ones on what you perceive to be this mans transgressions during his service to his country.

But then again it is people like him serving his country that has helped preserve the right of those children to stand outside and protest.

It is not a privilege in all country's of the world.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

Outstanding post and completely true! Star for you! The OP hasn't got a leg to stand on with his criticism of Petraeus.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

What's he protecting us from? The big bad Afghanis, with their CIA-provided weapons held over from 1985? How are they going to get here?

"Protecting" something typically involves stationing your forces around/within it. Anything else is called aggression.

The only threat to our rights is coming from within our borders, yet all our forces are deployed outside of them.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
That was awesome.

For those Georgetown students who participated in this exemplar of courage I give you a massive pat on the back and a double thumbs up.

[edit on 9/2/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Holy crap! That was one of the most powerful videos I've seen.

That was true resistance.

For those Georgetown students who participated in this exemplar of courage I give you a massive pat on the back and a double thumbs up.

I'm just glad it didn't end in tasering, which happens all too often when people speak their mind nowadays.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Alamo Ripper

Nah, they're yelling in the right direction.. this guy is a henchmen for the DC mafioso.. google "cherry marines" for an example of what some of these upper echelon mummys are about.

The *SNIP* in power wouldn't get away with unapologetic violence, occupations and extrajudicial killings if dudes like this either said "no", or bothered to remember the defend the country against domestic enemies thing...

Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

[edit on Wed Feb 10 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
General Petraeus vs Snot-nosed college students?

Think I'll stand with General Petraeus on this one.

BTW....wouldn't General Petraeus make a great President? It would be a 100% improvement over the idiot we have now!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

BTW....wouldn't General Petraeus make a great President? It would be a 100% improvement over the idiot we have now!

I would like to have a president who knows the constitution..

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I would like to know what war General Petraeus fought in that really perserved our freedoms?

Just because you wear an uniform that says USA doesn't mean you stand for the people of the US. I give credit to these students for not following the social norm. We have listened to people like the General talk over and over again. Their actions have only lead us down a darker path.

Understand, these students stood up for all of us that want answers from our government's leaders. In my mind, if one person in that crowd wakes up, they did their job successfully. The student who yelled about the children being murdered should of held up a picture of one of the deformed babies from the depleted uranium we have dropped. But then again, they did stand up. I salute them.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by higns07]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
To the OP and anyone else who says Petraeus should be hung:

You seriously make me sick. You are a prime example of ungratefulness if there ever was one. And the founding fathers would spit on you in shame if they could.

How do I know this? Because the kind of freedom that these protestors are using is exactly what Petraeus fought for overseas. THEIR RIGHT TO SPEAK FREELY AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT REPRISAL.

Maybe these headlines will help you remember that it's not so bad being in America and remember who gave you the right to stand up and criticize your government:

Iran defiant as three more given death penalty over election protests
www.guardian.co.uk...

Iran Reportedly Executes 2 Over Election Protests
article.wn.com...

[edit on 10-2-2010 by sos37]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
General Petraeus vs Snot-nosed college students?

Think I'll stand with General Petraeus on this one.

The snot noses have killed fewer people on the oligarchs behalf.. I'll chill with them.

President?, humm, I'll pass... but he is qualified by establishment standards, his skills following bad orders are impeccable.

edit: is is

[edit on 10-2-2010 by GovtFlu]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the General should be punished.

I have a question though. You believe that it is OUR responsibility to fight for the people of other countries? Man, I bet the founding fathers would have loved for someone else to start and fight our revolution.

In my opinion, if these people want to be free, they may fight for it. Our fathers were ready to give their life in order to perserve our freedoms. Are the people of Iran?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

You seriously make me sick. You are a prime example of ungratefulness if there ever was one. And the founding fathers would spit on you in shame if they could.

How do I know this? Because the kind of freedom that these protestors are using is exactly what Petraeus fought for overseas. THEIR RIGHT TO SPEAK FREELY AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT REPRISAL.

Maybe these headlines will help you remember that it's not so bad being in America and remember who gave you the right to stand up and criticize your government:

Iran defiant as three more given death penalty over election protests
www.guardian.co.uk...

Iran Reportedly Executes 2 Over Election Protests
article.wn.com...

Hi friend....

What does Iran have to do with this thread...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

[edit on 10-2-2010 by sos37]
I'm perfectly well aware of how lucky I am to live in a free country. But again, I ask you:

What was going on in Iraq or Afghanistan that threatened my rights?

In anticipation of your answer, I'll say this. Terrorism is preventable. We have one of the most feared (or respected, depending on how you look at it) militaries and intelligence agencies in the world. Since 9/11, the only widely publicized terror attempt was the laughable Christmas guy. We do not live in constant fear of attacks (or we wouldn't, if the news would stop going on about them).

In fact, resentment towards America would decrease if we ended our meddling in the Middle East.

Now to our freedoms.

The largest single reduction to American rights was enacted in a very shady piece of legislation called the Patriot Act. It was, arguably, brought on by the need for increased security in the wake of 9/11 and the threat of further attacks.

But when it comes down to it, how is reducing our freedoms defending our freedoms?

So you tell me, specifically, what the wars overseas are doing to "preserver our freedoms." No patriotic diatribe, no vitriolic hatred of liberalism, just an actual answer.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Petraeus didn't get to where he is today by asking if his orders were ethical or moral.

He may have alot of ribbins and medals on his jacket, but at the end of the day he is still a soldier, ... and he does what he is told no matter how he feels about the situation.

He serves his country without question, and is a patriot in that respect, he is responsible for saving as many american lives as possible, and minimizing casualties.

There is no fault in Petraeus, he didn't get us into this war, ... and he's not responsible for keeping our troops there. I feel bad for him, he dedicates his life to this country, and this is how he is repaid ??

are our soldiers murderer's and criminals as well ?? are they going to be treated the way they were after vietnam ?? These guys are out there risking their lives, wether we think its wrong or not.

If these protester's want to make a real difference they should put down their bullhorns and get into politics.

Whoever marries Jenna Bush is a shoe in.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
how can people say that the military is fighting or has fought to allow people to speak, i cant recall ever the soverign Americans or the American citizens actually losssing that right, unalienable right since the countries enception?

No service member for the past 100 years has ever fought for the right for free speach, we never have lost that, (technically)... THEY HAVENT FOUGHT TO KEEP IT EITHER, the US has only had two major attacks on our soil, Pearl Harbor, and 9/11 in the last wars we've had how many cities were bombed... Pearl Harbor got us into the war and 9/11 started how many wars for us? how many foreign troops have attacked the US on our soil, how many foreign tanks have occupied our soil? how many forgein boots have hit out soil in a Declared war, and killed our poeple on our soil like we have so many others?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join