It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handheld GPS Information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
What do you guys reccommend for some handheld gps'?

...anywhere from the cheapest to the most expensive...
...from the least featured to the most featured...

A couple we were looking at were the Garmin Oregon & Colorado.

www.gpsmagazine.com...

Is garmin a decent brand for the handhelds?

Also would you guys reccommend on getting a top of the line model only?
Or two lesser/cheaper models?
Or a top of the line and another cheaper one?

We're in the south west if that matters...

There is also their "Dakota" model, but doesn't come with a topo, only a basemap, so I think we are stuck between a Colorado model 400+ version or an Oregon model 400+ version.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Solofront]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well the question would be "What do you plan on doing with the GPS?"

There are many different grades and models to meet specific needs. What do YOU need it for?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Mainly for fun!

We are avid campers, and are now going out 1-2 times a month, and want a hand held gps with a topo map, with a decent screen size/resolution, and easy to use.

Me and my dad are liking the Oregon model 400t, with the topo, altimeter, barometer, and compass! Plus with a touch screen.

Anyone familiar with the Oregon 400t or any Oregon model?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
So, these are the models we are stuck on!

Dakota 20

gps.about.com...

Colorado 400t

gpsmagazine.com...

Oregon 400t

gpsmagazine.com...

I've read online reviews, which is one of the reasons we have decided to probably go with one of these three.

Just wasn't sure which of the three, you guys would reccommend, and if you have any experience with any of them.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Solofront]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Are you looking for backcountry wilderness mapping or street navigation? The two usually come in very different basemap configurations; though to a certain degree the new ones can do both.

The Garmin Oregon 400t is at a bargain price right now because of the recently announced 450t and 550t. (Considerably more expensive, new hardware features including a camera option.)

The Garmin "T" models come with 100K Topo maps. Serious hikers will want the 24K Topo maps since this version displays the most geographic detail.

Garmin sells 24K Topo DVD's by region, usually a cluster of states in close proximity. A little over a $100 a region discounted online.

All of the newer models of Garmin GPS's can use the 24k Topos, it comes down to screen size, map storage options, and hardware features. Their website will show map options for each device.

I have used Garmin GPS devices for years in the backcountry, very reliable and well made.

Check out the discussion tab at this website for great information:
garminoregon.wikispaces.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DesertNomad
Are you looking for backcountry wilderness mapping or street navigation?

Backcountry wilderness mapping, we will only be using it out in the woods, and want to get one within 2-3 weeks before our next outing.

The Garmin Oregon 400t is at a bargain price right now because of the recently announced 450t and 550t. (Considerably more expensive, new hardware features including a camera option.)

See, we bring our two digital camera's with us all the time, so I'm not sure if the 450t+ models would be of much benefit to justify the price, right?

What would you choose, the 400t, 450t, or 500t?

The Garmin "T" models come with 100K Topo maps. Serious hikers will want the 24K Topo maps since this version displays the most geographic detail.

Garmin sells 24K Topo DVD's by region, usually a cluster of states in close proximity. A little over a $100 a region discounted online.

All of the newer models of Garmin GPS's can use the 24k Topos, it comes down to screen size, map storage options, and hardware features. Their website will show map options for each device.

Nice!, so what is the difference between the...

24K Topo maps vs 100K Topo maps?

I believe all three models are water proof, let alone most gps now a days I guess!

Let me check out that one site and I'll check back here!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ok, a couple more things also mind you, lmao...

Battery charger...is there one available for any of these models?

Also, Waypoints, does only the Colorado 400t support this, or does the Oregon 400t model have it as well?

As far as the topo maps are concerned...

So the Oregon 400t comes with the 100K topo's?

Could we install the 24K topo's as well?

Does it matter?

And do we need to let the supplier know our location...(South West/U.S.)

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Solofront,

Right now I would choose the Garmin Oregon 400t because it is now discounted to around $335 and the 450t is around $120 more. (It is actually cheaper right now than the Garmin 300 without the 100K topos, go figure.) The 550t offers a built-in camera, but early reports are that the camera functions really drains the batteries fast. Much easier to just bring along a separate camera and not kill your GPS out in the field! (BTW, always bring along extra batteries for the GPS in your backpack.)

With the $120 savings I would buy the Garmin 24K Topo software and load the more detailed maps onto the 400t. The 24K Topos offer considerably more detailed maps than the 100k. 24K means 1:24,000 and 100K means 1:100,000 resolution, so the 24K’s have much more detail about geographic features making them more useful in navigating the terrain. And the 400t can turn this detail into 3D elevation maps, which is
a great feature out in the field.

I currently use a Garmin 60CSx with 24K Topos and will be upgrading to the 400t before Spring.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the models you have narrowed it down to but I can tell you one thing!

You can't go wrong with Garmin!

I have used them for 10+ years, handheld, car and motorbike and never had a problem.

They have always told me everything I needed to know, the software is great and battery life very good.

The Captain on the plane to Egypt loved mine and said even they still use old fashioned gyrometers for the navigation on the Boeing 737, he wished he could have something cool with a moving map etc. And that was Oct 2008.

Go for it, any of them, you will be very happy!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

The pre-installed 100K Topos cover the entire US, while the 24K Topos cover about a 4 state region (Mainly due to the vast increase in file sizes.)

You can have both sets of maps installed, your only limits are internal storage, and the 400t can expand the memory with a microSDcard.

So you can indeed get the best of both worlds, 24K Topos for your most traveled region and 100K Topos for the rest of the country.

The 24K topos are on regional DVD's and purchased separately from the actual GPS device itself.

The list of map options from Garmin is available at the link below.

www.garmin.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

With the $120 savings I would buy the Garmin 24K Topo software and load the more detailed maps onto the 400t. The 24K Topos offer considerably more detailed maps than the 100k. 24K means 1:24,000 and 100K means 1:100,000 resolution, so the 24K’s have much more detail about geographic features making them more useful in navigating the terrain. And the 400t can turn this detail into 3D elevation maps, which is
a great feature out in the field.

Sweet butter!

So we should get the...

1. Garmin Oregon 400t gps
2. Garmin 24K Topo software

?

One more thing, where is the most reliable online retailer to get this model and software?

You mentioned $335?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

The best price scenario changes daily on the Internet, usually a good idea to check price comparison sites and see what reputable retailers are discounting to that day.

Right now it looks like Amazon.com has the best price. They also carry just about every accessory you can imagine.

I would also consider a screen protector for the 400t and a microSD data storage card down the road when you figure out what else you want to load onto the GPS.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Very good...so it seems like we'll be doing this then...

1. Garmin Oregon 400t gps
2. Garmin 24K Topo software
3. microSD data storage card

Not sure if the screen protector will work since its a touch screen...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
My advice, get the cheapest (black and white screen) GPS you can buy that has the capability to TRACK your route you've hiked. The reason I say this is no matter which GPS you buy, you MUST have a paper topo map and compass with you in case the GPS fails (battery, dropped, malfunction, it happens).

I use these GPS units in back country all the time, and the only useful feature is the tracking option. With that track line it creates of where you've hiked, you can then compare it to your paper map (which you should have anyways) to easily spot where you are on the map. Paper topos provide a much larger "display" of your area and frankly, are much better at providing a spatial awareness than even the best GPS screens which are small.

So spend $100 on a cheap unit that can track your route, and buy a paper map of the area. You can use them to geocache and find your way back to your car and locate yourself on a paper map.

You can use the money you save to buy $250 hiking boots!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
My advice, get the cheapest (black and white screen) GPS you can buy that has the capability to TRACK your route you've hiked. The reason I say this is no matter which GPS you buy, you MUST have a paper topo map and compass with you in case the GPS fails (battery, dropped, malfunction, it happens).

I use these GPS units in back country all the time, and the only useful feature is the tracking option. With that track line it creates of where you've hiked, you can then compare it to your paper map (which you should have anyways) to easily spot where you are on the map. Paper topos provide a much larger "display" of your area and frankly, are much better at providing a spatial awareness than even the best GPS screens which are small.

So spend $100 on a cheap unit that can track your route, and buy a paper map of the area. You can use them to geocache and find your way back to your car and locate yourself on a paper map.

You can use the money you save to buy $250 hiking boots!

I get my hiking boots from walmart, about $35-$50 for a pair that lasts a year or more!

We still haven't decided, we do have maps though, plus $300+ is another 9mm +ammo, lmao, so we are still undecided, but if we do get a gps, odds are it may be the Oregon 400t

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My advice. Seeing as how this is posted in the Survival Forum would be to learn the fine art of navigating by Topo Map and Compass. Perfect this skill before you rely on GPS in the Wilderness. A Compass is only as good as its user. No battery failure, No software failure, most of all no Satellite Failure.

Keep in mind that if the SHTF, those handy navigation satellites will be turned OFF like a light switch leaving those who rely on them up snip creek without a paddle.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Very good points! From the Survival forum perspective, good paper maps and a compass are essential. Everyone should know how to use them and have the areas that they travel covered via hardcopy maps.

From the fun perspective, the GPS is sure great to play with!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DesertNomad

Agreed. My first GPS was a Garmin GPS 12 and when I bought it the satellites were deliberately not as accurate as they are now. Still have it and still use it from time to time. More for backtracking than anything else. Anyway, GPS was not available when I started backpacking so it was compass navigation or nothing at all. Anyone remember LORAN?

I still remember learning to read LORAN charts when I was sailing in the open Ocean long before GPS. LORAN is slowly being phased out through budget cuts. When LORAN is gone there will no longer be a redundant system in the event of GPS Failure or shutdown.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
buy.garmin.com...

These maps on the dvd's are they printable?

Can someone purchase the dvd's and print those maps out?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

My experience with an older version of the software is that you cannot print them. If you could, you probably would not be happy with the resolution or size. The USGS topo maps are printed on large format printers on thick paper, they are poster size in effect.

There are some web sites that will sell you digital maps, uncluding the USGS.gov site. Some trail planning websites will sell you customized printed maps.

That is why I treasure my collection of printed maps!

new topics

top topics

join