Originally posted by Misoir
I actually justify what Israel is about to do!:
The only way for Israel to destruct itself is by attacking Iran.
( I have just cause for my reasoning, let me state that I am more of a pacifist than a militaralist but I believe Iran knew what they were
doing in the region and knew that Israel would not stand by even to allow Iran to build nuclear facilities for civilian use. They knew this, but now
they have decided to align themselves with Lebanon and Syria into a pact that will drag the whole region into war.
Actually, there is no evidence in the public domain that Iran is currently testing a weapon, making a weapon or even enriching uranium to a level that
could be used in a nuclear weapon.
*The conflict with Iran is not over any observable pursuit of nuclear weapons, but over its insistence on enriching uranium to low levels that are not
suitable for weapons use at a declared facility under IAEA seal and surveillance.
* Iran insists that this enrichment is purely for nuclear energy use, and we have no clear evidence with which to refute that claim.
* Iran's enrichment is a valid concern because it will shorten the lead time for developing a nuclear weapon should Iran decided (or have decided) to
do so in the future. But enrichment to low levels under safeguards is not the same thing as pursuing a nuclear weapon.
* For starters, countries have a right to enrich uranium for peaceful use, and Iran cannot be indefinitely denied that right.
Last but not least Iran as a signatory under NPT has fuull right to enrich Uranium in their nuclear reactors. Iran has allowed IAEA inspectors to
visit their site whereas Israel has not.
Iran knew the whole time what was going to happen, Ahmadinejad says that he is the Mahdi and they believe the only way to bring about their
beloved Mahdi is to start a regional war with Israel the likes the world has not saw since WW2. This was intentional on Iran’s' part and Israel
played hook-line-sinker! But also believe Israel thinks this is their prophesied war against Gog and Magog that will usher in their savior, both sides
are saber rattling to bring out their saviors and obviously there can only be one savior. Russian roulettes anyone?
You cannot be further be away from truth as the recent history of Iran makes crystal clear that national self-preservation and regional influence -
not some quest for martyrdom in the service of Islam - is Iran's main foreign policy goal. For example:
* In the 1990s, Iran chose a closer relationship with Russia over support for rebellious Chechen Muslims.
* Iran actively supported and helped to finance the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan and what they got for their assistance was a entry into 'axis of
evil' by Bush.
* Iran has ceased its efforts to export the Islamic revolution to other Persian Gulf states, in favor of developing good relations with the
governments of those states.
* During the Iran-Iraq War, Iran took the pragmatic step of developing secret ties and trading arms with Israel, even as Iran and Israel denounced
each other in public.
Bombing Iran would yield nothing because:
(1) Bombing Iran's openly declared and safeguarded facilities won't stop Iran's nuclear program. It will simply drive the program underground
while creating or hardening Iran's resolve to pursue nuclear weapons in secret.
(2) Bombing an open and declared facility that is enriching uranium to low levels under full IAEA safeguards would constitute a lawless act of
agression that would isolate the United States and Israel, not Iran.
(3) Bombing Iran would cause massive civilian casualties, fortify the current regime in power and rally the Iranian people around the flag -- against
the United States.
(4) Bombing Iran would unleash chaos throughout the region, putting our troops' lives at risk and undermine the war on terror.
(5) Bombing Iran would undermine the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
(6) Threatening force while lacking a credible scenario for using it would be self-defeating.
So go ahead and try attacking Iran, it's one step towards self defeating goal.