It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're The New Fish In Prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

As I have stated in an above post, the UK Prison system does'nt appear to have the same problems of gang culture whilst serving at HM pleasure.

Generally speaking, the sex offenders and vulnerable prisoners (VP's) are isolated away from the general population, so do not come into contact with mainstream prisoners.

Another observation: ALL prisoners are manipulative, ALL are liars and ALL are selfish.

As for contraband: My advice is DONT even try it, you will get found out and it will add more months or years to your sentence. The same advice really goes to using violence, especially against staff.

If you cant do the time, dont do the crime.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Do not believe all the crap about how many people get raped in Prison, it is a very rare occurance and usually only happens to the ones that are either willing "punks" (gays), or people who engage in drugs, rackets, etc and then cannot pay. You are always under camera supervision and almost always under the physical watch of guards. TV has you believing this happens all the time, when it is very rare. Fights, on the other hand, happen a lot, and you are going to have to either defend yourself or you will be beaten and have everything taken away from you on a regular basis. The best thing to do is keep your mouth shut, talk to no one, and do not get involved in gangs, clicks, etc etc. If you start getting harrased by gangs the guards will move you to another barrack or to solitary confinement as long as they know you are not affiliated with any gang. If you get messed with deal with it immedietly, fight as dirty and as crazy as you have to. Ive seen people claim to have AIDS just to keep guys from messing with them, becasue they dont want to get bit. Keep your mouth shut and remember you have no friends in this place. Do your time and stick to yourself. Anyone who is like this will get on work duty, which is definelty something you want to do. You get protection, get to live in a better enviroment and the guards will look out for you. Also, you are around guys who are mostly wanting to do their time and get out, not the thugs and dealers who are looking to make a dollar however they have to get it.

Not something i'm proud of but I got in trouble when I was 18 and had to do 44 months total, 28 in Angola and the remainder at Hunt, both maximum security prisons. It is a life changing experience and not something you want to go through. But the versions you get on TV arent even close to what prison is actually like, it is a very controlled enviroment and you are almost never not in the physical presence of guards.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by theQuest]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
lol some of these "tips" are funny...

1)Don't lie (well kinda), if someone asks you what you are in for start it out with "well someone says..." or "they say i...". Carry some of your paper work with you, if you lie about what you are in for it will get found out sooner or latter.

2) Stick with your own race, don't pull the "im 10% X and 25% Y and my grandfather was a ...." It goes off skin color so nobody is interested in your family tree.

4)Don't expect somthin for nothin, if you want favors you will have to do somthing in return. 99% of the time someone will do whatever you ask and later ask for something in return. So don't ask anyone for anything unless you are willing to get your hands dirty.

5)Don't rat,ever not even on the guards nobody likes a rat.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

Basically the prison system is based on who you were outside is who you are inside if you posess gay ars tendecies and hide them in the general public they will be exposed on the inside. If you are a real man on the outside you will be on the inside. If you are a junkie on the outside w/ junkie bahavior you will be the same junkie doing whatever to get what you want inside. I know people that have been improsoned before this is how I know about it. Also if you are a WOLF OUTSIDE YOUR A WOLF INSIDE ITS BASICLLY WHO YOU ARE AS A PERSON. Truthfully no real man would let another man or men violate them w/o fighting for ther lives and I meen till death and some men only require a scarry look and the girl come str8 outta them very sad but look at society on the outside. Some men can here another man raise his voice and become afraid of another man not good. Where as you may on the outside have a 5 ft man talking bad to a 6ft man with much courage cause see the 5 ft man knows even if you gonna woop me its going to be a major battle so bring it. Showing the 5 ft man possessed courage given to him by the lord. Same scenerio a 6 ft man may back down to a 5 ft man if the 6 ft man is a girl inside. SO IT BASED ON THE COURAGE WITHIN 1Z HEART TO SURVIVE AND MAKE IT BACK OUT TO THE FREE WORLD. BASICALLY SURVIVAL INSTINCT

[edit on 2/8/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
To not get your butt whooped in prison?

Hmm, let me think, erm, don't commit crime? or maybe if you do , don't get caught?.
I'd rather go for the former myself.

Sorry had to say it , even though I'm probably going to get slated but hey, like my favourite saying goes " You play wiv feavers? you get your bum tickled".

Prison ain't a holiday camp, if you don't want the hassle that goes with going to jail don't commit crimes.

[edit on 9/2/10 by DataWraith]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

Join a "gang" the very first day.

Nobody survives as a "loner" at the big house.

Try to find the clique that doesn't make much fuzz about themselves but at least number 5 individuals or more.

Stay cool and out of trouble. Keep quiet the first period of time, just listen and observe. Be a buddy without over doing it.
Doing favours can really help you out.

Do you duties, like laundry duty, kitchen duty or workshopping without complaining. Obey the guards without sucking up to them.

If the prison itself doesn't already sort it out for you, make routines and follow them like it's a ritual. It will make time pass faster.

Don't lose your head and for God's sake, don't snitch!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
A buddy I know did 10 years or so for manslaughter in the UK and he said the key to financial survival if you are making money is to stash it via a charger.
Prisoners get paid, not a lot but it adds up. Stuff being brought in / sent in can really fetch you some money also.

If you've read the book 'papillion' you'll know what a charger is.

Actually while I've never had the 'pleasure' of using one it's a superb way of concealing banknotes and is almost impossible for someone to know if you have a charger 'inserted' unless you're in the prison system where it's more common.

He did say that if you use one you'd have to make sure you clean it thoroughly prior to 're-inserting' it, otherwise you can end up with nasty infections and ulcers in later life...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
As I have stated in an above post, the UK Prison system does'nt appear to have the same problems of gang culture whilst serving at HM pleasure.

Sorry wotan i didn't see your post. Well i was relating the experience of someone who was in the UK prison system and he could relate a number of encounters with other prisoners. While you are correct in saying that gangs are not like the US system there are groups within prison and gang rape does happen.

Prisoners can only be moved to the proteted wing if they have commited certain crimes (as you say paedophiles, rapists etc) or they can prove they are in danger, this usually is done after they have been assaulted.

I must admit i wouldn't want to be in the wings with all the paedophiles and rapists, i'd rather head to solitary by having a word with the guards like my friend did.

Although i won't ever have to make that choice, not being a criminal and all

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The key in the US is to what "Kind" of prison you sent. Conditions vary widely, but broadly along the lines of what category you are assigned.

In an easy unit, you probably wont be hassled for real very much. A few posers may try to intimidate you, but they won't have support. their seconds are not willing to do hard-time just because their leader picks a fight. Just because 4 dudes are standing around you, doesn't mean all of them are willing to risk the penalties for fighting you.

SOME of the "I was raped" stories are just men trying to rationalize their behavior to family on the outside.

The fact is, if you have something to offer, someone will want to look after you. If you are literate, or have outside contacts or commisary, are a short-timer, or look big enough to defend yourself and maybe others, someone will want your friendship enough to ask politely. If all you are good for is party favors, you'll be treated accordingly.

That's what supposed to happen when you get surrounded by the way, you're supposed to tell them what you're worth, and then buy your own posterior with what you can offer: legal advice, a contact on the outside, a good lawyer, knowledge of an incoming drug shipment, etc. You really aren't supposed to get raped, and most don't. They make an offer, and it's usually accepted, unless things have gotten personal.

The fact remains that in many prisons, even the more serious ones, that gang activity is mainly a sport for young men would would be doing the same thing on the outside. You can minimize your contact with it, if you insist on not being involved. that means not helping someone else unless they are in your set. you can get sucked into a gang war by trying to defend someone who would not have defended you.

For the people who advise you to get into a gang, notice that most of the victims of violence are active gang members.

You'll be forced to "stick with" your own race; the system itself acknowledges racial gangs, and segregates prisoners that way to minimize the violence. Learn it, acknowledge that you cannot change it, and move on.

A short, thin man did 4 years in a southern state without ever being raped. He chose the "go crazy on the first person to proposition you, then do your time in solitary" route. But he says that, because he acted this way, everyone wanted him in their gang, and he was sent to the violent offender pod after fulfilling his time in solitary....

You should never fake something you are not, but if you are religious, then chapel is a place where you can meet some like minded men. Sometimes there is a group that refuses to call itself a gang, but is de facto a gang. They may have about 3-5 formal members, don't allow gays, and don't charge favors. But they would defend each other in a riot, and even take revenge if need be. They'd get left alone. They'd probably only exist until a couple of key members get out, then fade away.

Whoever wrote that about the chess players is right btw.

Spend time working out, but only with your set, because a lot of confrontations happen then.

Also, spend time in the legal library, working on your case. If you learn the law, you can help others who don't understand, and they will owe you. in prisons where you check out law books, some inmates just use them for weightlifting, so it takes forever, and favors, to get the books you'd need to look at.

The food is made so that you will lose 1 -5 lbs / month. If anyone on the outside can deposit money in the commisary for you, then you can trade smokes and candy for stuff you need, or just for a quiet night's sleep.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Generally the prisoners that become 'vulnerable' are those that get 'in debt' to another prisoner or group of prisoners. This can cause all sorts of problems for them. Debts 'have to be paid'.

One of the first things a 'new' prisoner should aim for is a job of some sort. If you like fresh air, then go for gardening. One of the higher paid jobs is as a cleaner, you get special payments for cleaning up cells that are covered in 'body fluids'.

If you want to get parole or your sentence reduced or in some cases release, you will need to do certain 'rehabilititave programmes'. Without doing them, you will do your full stretch.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Basically, no matter who you are or what you are in for, do not be a rat.

Rats are the worst of the worst in prison system.

"See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" has always worked for everyone in prisons, no matter who they are or why they are in prison.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

The funny thing about that is, every man says "don't be a rat," but every buddy does it. It's a way of controlling what the guards know, and everyone gets power by being the first to tell, and put their own personal "spin" on the facts.

Now, get caught, and you die horribly. But know that the reason why everyone is so dead set against it is---they don't want the competition!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The two most vulnerable times (My buddy says) you can be pounced upon and attacked are when you're taking a dump and sleeping.
I thought sleeping would be the unusual one as your door is locked at night (excepting your room-mate) and question him further.

He said that first thing in the morning everyones cells are unlocked by the guards so those who want to have a shower and breakfast get up for it.
There are those who want to sleep in for a bit as well (as not everyone is an early riser.
The trouble comes if you've upset someone or maybe are the new guy etc and while you're having your lie-in for another hour or whatever you're vulnerable as hell to someone rushing in...

Makes you glad to be nowhere near a place like prison that's for sure.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by WatchRider]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I used to be a Correctional Officer at a Medium Security level prison... this is the talk I gave to newbies:

Avoid the inmates who first approach you with more than the Welcome to Hell introduction.

No matter what you are in for... just say Drugs.

Do not display pictures of your loved ones, or give away any information of where they live. Keep you personal information to yourself.

If you have never been in a gang, don't join one now. It makes you a target to other inmates, and guards are always shaking down the gangbangers.

There are professional guards and then there are sadistic a'holes... learn the difference.

Never snitch on anyone... once your a snitch you are compromised.

Give yourself a good month to observe and figure out who to trust... if anyone.

The older Mob guys run everything, and are usually fair and firm when making deals.

Ask to be an Dorm Orderly for your first assignment.... you will hear and see much to help you survive.

Remember that even though you are physically locked up... your mind is still free. Meditation and prayer can make all the difference in the world.

Learn to protect yourself physically, If you get punched it is assault and that guy will be sent to a higher level prison. If you hit him back... it is just a fight and your both getting more time and going to a higher level.

If you hear a Guards Body Alarm go off... get the hell away from the area! You will soon be surrounded by staff that are cracking heads and cuffing and stuffing anyone in the area. If you can't get out of the area... lay face down and cover your head with your hands. Do not watch what is happening or you will become a witness and locked up for interrogation.

Just do your time. Be cool and be prepared to defend your self at all times.

Good Luck.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Just my 2 pennies worth, I did a short ride last year and was doing just fine, got a plush single cell, extra mattress, made trustee, snazzy blue and white jumpsuit instead of orange, etc.
Then my girlfriend got drunk, called the sargeant to tell him what a great guy I am.
There I went, back to pop, dormitory and common bath area.
moral of the story; once you're in do your time and have the phone disconnected.

True story,btw
The checkers post is also dead on correct.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Read, write, and play checkers!
If you know ahead of time you are going in DO NOT try to sneak something in.
In stead take on some odd jobs prior to surrender or court and give ALL your money to someone you can trust. Not a girlfriend you have had for a couple of months. Then have them deposit money on your books as soon as you get there and have them keep small amounts on the books for you.

If you don't drink coffee buy it anyway- When on lockdown you can use it to trade. Same with smokes.

Keep those "Nice" pictures of your honey to yourself! She took them for you not the entire criminal world.

Do not expect your loved ones to send you money all the time or put time on your phone. You did the crime you do the time. This is hard enough on them.

For every 3 letters you write home expect 1 back. Your family is not sitting in a cell all day, they are out here trying to pay bills and keep the kids fed.

If you have a car when you are about to go in and you don't need it (for the wife etc) then sell it get the money to the same person as stated above.

Sign a power of attorney for financial and legal reasons to this trusted person and for medical reasons. It sucks having someone on the inside and not knowing what is going on when you know they have been sick.

Stick to the older group or the short timers if you can. Never tell anyone how much time you have left.

Do not F*** over the woman that is standing by your side during this bid. Do not write other women and so forth. At this point the only relationship you have is in letters, calls and the occasional visit. So if you are doing the same with two women you are cheating on them.
They are going through HELL on the outside because of you so respect them and treat them right.

Do not get over hyped if your woman cannot be reached by phone, she may be doing something important for you or herself.

Thats all I have for now. My husband is doing a long bid so this comes first hand.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadforce
Killing is not the answer. I've trained in martial arts for quite a while. I've formed my own style based on jeet kune do and tai chi. Be quick, strike critical nerve points and never block an attack, instead move into it, strike, evade your opponent's line of sight, strike and strike again. If you'd like to know more just send me a message.

Break his bones, disable him for life, but never kill.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by deadforce]

Real life is not an anime cartoon. Martial arts are nearly worthless in real fights because everything happens so fast. You aren't a Jedi, you start getting fancy and you're going to die. He's fighting to kill and you aren't then you're going to die. It's that simple.

I'm not telling you to start fights, but finish them. You aren't going to be able to simply 'walk away' from a fight in prison. If someone starts something with you then hit them back as hard as you can until they stop and if that means they have to die because they won't stop then so be it. You'll have less problems overall long term for it.

Personally Id rather have an extra 5 years tacked on and be left alone by everyone than take my original sentence and be attacked and raped on a daily basis because I chose the moral high ground.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Raverous]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Any insight and/or personal experiences from women regarding women's prisons?

Work, live or know someone... etc.

Just curious about the differences, I would presume there are many.

Hey there LadySkadi !

Its an interesting question.

I saw a documentary which discussed those very point of difference.One of the most striking differences was that females prisoners `play family`.

mom,dad, grandmother and children .... these were the roles assigned to the inmates .

Just had a bit of a google .....

Surviving Incarceration: The New Pseudo Family for Female Offenders

Both men and women adopt various roles in the inmate subculture to survive the pains of imprisonment.

It is assumed that females feel the pains of imprisonment more harshly than males because of the difficulty in being separated from their family and children.

To ameliorate the pains of separation, female inmates re-create their lost family in prison.

link

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have been there. I didnt talk to anyone. It was all of the stupidest people I have ever met all thrown into to small of a space with nothing to do. Worst experience of my life and I will ensure I never go back.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join