posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:48 PM
real help for people going to the pen. (prison, not jail)
1) dont talk about your crime..if someone asks, simply say "I am here because I screwed up, and thats all that needs to be said" and thats about
2) If you dont want to get into fights, learn checkers/chess. find those old timers that do nothing but play checkers and chess in the corner and
befriend them. stick away from youth.
3) Dont give anything away without fair trade. once you give anything away, then your a sucker and your marked. They will test you with that hey
bro, give me some whatevers. stick strong and tell them only for X...whatever X is, but dont make it token #...make it for their roll of toilet paper
or something that they really have to consider...if they say no, then say sorry..cant do it
4) Exercise alot. not soo much lifting weights as cardio...lifting weights and people will size you up, cardio and they will simply see your
wirey...wirey people are less badass points to fight, but more feared subconsciously...and it will make you feel good.
5) everything is a tradeable or usable commodity...stock up on anything and everything, multipurpose is the keyword. keep forks, pencils, anything you
can...be suprised how handy crap like that comes in.
6) Dont be down or sad all the time. Screw it...your in there, you got your time and then you will be back out...no need to continue grumping about
life, make the best of it...sad people make few friends as everyone else is in the same damn boat as you. but in saying that, dont be Mr. happy go
7) stick with your race. Even if your the most non-racist person ever, if your in prison, you gotta stick to the color most represented by your skin,
else there is all kinds of issues with everyone. Doesn't mean get tats and scream racial stuff...just go in with the attitude that you know where to
stand and wont be risking an ass beating from everyone for no reason...everyone should respect that decision.
8) Learn the zen of checkers...I know this was already stated, but its worth a double post...those older guys in the corner playing checkers...they
are almost outside of the pecking order...across a checker board you can hang with who you want, not worry about aggressive nonsense, etc...might be a
bit boring, but you keep your teeth...seriously...hang with the old guys.
9) The cops there arent your friends, but they arent your enemy either. smile and laugh at them, but dont buddy buddy with them. Exaggerate to a
semi-sarcastic (yet subtle) tone proper manners...but dont be a fool and carry it to piss them off. you dont want to piss off the cops there...Some
will feel for you and others, and some like to beat ass on little punks for fun..(show them proper respect)...oh, and dont get caught looking for long
at the police women. They may be hot, but its not worth the smackdown if your caught staring...well, unless she is just silly hot.
10) Dont count the days left to go, count the days you did already...that will keep you more sane. Keeping your sanity is critical...take up as many
activities as possible to fill in the weeks...go to church services, even if your a athiest, it at least gives your mind something else to ponder.
take up courses, try to become a trustee, etc...just do something with the time, it will make the time go much faster than nothing at all, and you may
qualify for work release or something earlier if you show drive, determination, and all that stuff. (just dont screw it up should that happen.)
Source of info - couple friends and a nephew, and a few months in the county pokey talking to people thats been. Jail is very different than prison
btw...some rules are the same, but most are very different.