It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deficit Balloons Into National-Security Threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The US deficit has become a greater problem than ever in these hard economic times. With President Obama spending money like there’s no tomorrow, some are starting to worry that the ballooning deficit could turn into a national security threat.

Wall Street Journal

Deficit Balloons Into National-Security Threat

The federal budget deficit has long since graduated from nuisance to headache to pressing national concern. Now, however, it has become so large and persistent that it is time to start thinking of it as something else entirely: a national-security threat.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3584bd4da0ea.gif[/atsimg]

The budget plan released Monday by the Obama administration illustrates why this escalation is warranted. The numbers are mind-numbing: a $1.6 trillion deficit this year, $1.3 trillion next year, $8.5 trillion for the next 10 years combined—and that assumes Congress enacts President Barack Obama's proposals to start bringing it down, and that the proposals work.

These numbers are often discussed as an economic and domestic problem. But it's time to start thinking of the ramifications for America's ability to continue playing its traditional global role.

The U.S. government this year will borrow one of every three dollars it spends, with many of those funds coming from foreign countries. That weakens America's standing and its freedom to act; strengthens China and other world powers including cash-rich oil producers; puts long-term defense spending at risk; undermines the power of the American system as a model for developing countries; and reduces the aura of power that has been a great intangible asset for presidents for more than a century.

"We've reached a point now where there's an intimate link between our solvency and our national security," says Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations and a senior national-security adviser in both the first and second Bush presidencies. "What's so discouraging is that our domestic politics don't seem to be up to the challenge. And the whole world is watching."

Did you see that chart?!?

Holy freakin crap Batman! That's one HUGE projected deficit!

Oh, yeah, it looks like we’re screwed big time!

[edit on 2-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
From what I've calculated, the US should reach 100% debt to GDP ratio around early april 2011.

So basically from there it will only be downhill...and fast.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Worst Case Scenario: China will demand all debt be paid and when we cannot pay it we will be flooded with millions of Chinese. On the plus side, however, good chinese food will be readily available. So hard to find good take-out nowadays!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Gee, thanks for the rosey assessment.

Maybe we should be asking Haiti to take over US!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
OP, sounds like step 1 for the U.S. declaring it won't honor debts.

Screw everybody else, we won't pay.

Cause it's a matter of national security.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
ok, I got an idea

re-elect everyone back into office as per 1997, put back the same exact rules, laws, etc...lets get that direction going again.

laws be damned, if Clinton working with Newt somehow made this nation a freaking powerhouse...I say president for life, speaker for life..and who cares if he gets a BJ again...just keep us on top.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Bad idea. Clinton is a corrupt piece of garbage and he's a sell out to China. He can go to hell for all I care.

What about real people with guts who will stand up to big business, globalisation, China and Israel? Is not corrupt and don't want a police state?

Clinton is surely not that, nor is Obama, nor is Bush.

Ron Paul 2012.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
hahahaha! standing up to global corporations? Oversized governments? how? through voting? Politics is the entertainment arm of industry. There is no change through a three ring circus of voting for the least despicable of the lying sacks that run for government. Your're screwed just as I am here. People are lazy, impatient and spoiled and far too engrossed in the wonders of materialism to give a damn until its too late.

Big Government is a ship steered recklessly through stormy waters with a misguided moral compass and no idea of their destination and somehow its managed to avoid sinking. When it does its bringing us all down with it and voting wont change a thing. By all means vote participate and stay informed but I cannot delude myself any longer into believing it makes one iota of difference as to what happens.

Cheers

join