It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide Note of Guantánamo Prisoner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
edited as the thread is restored

[edit on 29-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
can i ask why there is two topics from you about this?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Better read back through your thread.

The guy who was supposed to have written the letter is alive and is also a free man.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flakey
Edit to add: The thread is restored now.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Does that mean the suicide note is hoax? No it does not mean that. He could have written the suicide note.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
Does that mean the suicide note is hoax?

Yes it does, and he is not deceased as you claim

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
A minor mistake does not a hoax make; Yoda.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

No the note is not hoax, its from National Security Archive itself. The person could have survived the suicide attempt and it seems like it did. The title of the Thread is "Suicide Note of Guantnamo Prisoner"...the note is not hoax. It's obvious I made mistake thinking he is dead but the note is genuine.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I have complained against "falsely" moving this thread in Hoax bin on ATS Issue Thread here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit to add: the thread is rightly restored. The suicide note is 100% genuine.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Thank you Mod for restoring the thread. I understand now why the thread was moved. It would be due to my remark the prisoner is deceased in the OP, I admit that was callous of me to say without checking whether he is still living or not.

However, the suicide note is 100% genuine and I am checking further detail on the prisoner. It seems the prisoner indeed attempted suicide 9 times and survived.

It is obvious at the time of writing the note the prisoner would have taken as his last letter.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

No mate he didn't survive suicide attempts 9 times, it was apparently 13 times in 5 years according to the article posted earlier, I'm sad I didn't get chance to write back after my first post on the front page, bein as this has kinda spiralled downward since.

His family also said he looked to be in better health than before..

So yeah this guy has been horrifically abused at the hands of those evil Americans/Nazis/Zionist allies

Jeez, people can't even spot a piece of blatant propaganda when they see it.

If he didn't commit suicide, then it's not a suicide note is it? Many people have pointed out the inconsistencies in this letter. The use of language that makes it look like it was written by an American, the fact that there is still NO proof this was written by this man, it is nicely timed for a release just as the Gitmo issue is flaring up again, and we are honestly expected to believe that the American government would release a letter like this stating that he has been treated awfully through a FOIA request. If this letter were real it would have been burned and thrown to the winds the very second a guard had found it.

Straight up BS at it's best

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

By the way you make it sound you would think those photos at abu grab were all fakes. I myself am not an insulated person. I know what we do in the world abroad. Gitmo has taken its fair share of blood from the innocent.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I am still confused why his name spelling is different but I can guess when MSM mentions "Osama" as "Usama".

Anyway. anyone interested to find more about this prisoner can do so here, there are several articles related too this prisoner:
www.cageprisoners.com...

And a link to his Docket from Combatant Status Review Board
projects.nytimes.com...

And the two poems he wrote to his lawyer

Dossari claims that life in the prison drove him to attempt suicide more than a dozen times. And he wrote the following poem as part of a suicide letter he sent his lawyer.

Take my blood.
Take my death shroud and
The remnants of my body.
Take photographs of my corpse at the grave, lonely.
Send them to the world,
To the judges and
To the people of conscience,
Send them to the principled men and the fair-minded.
And let them bear the guilty burden before the world,
Of this innocent soul.
Let them bear the burden before their children and before history,
Of this wasted, sinless soul,
Of this soul which has suffered at the hands of the "protectors of peace."

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

And many more poems from Guantnamo prisoners: www.amazon.com...

The collection, entitled Poems from Guantánamo: The Detainees Speak, was recently published by University of Iowa Press.

and another poem from the above link of Huffington Post

Here's another poem from the collection. It's by a man named Abdulla Thani Faris al Anazi, and it's difficult to read it as a security threat.

To My Father

Two years have passed in far-away prisons,
Two years my eyes untouched by kohl.
Two years my heart sending out messages
To the homes where my family dwells,
Where lavender cotton sprouts
For grazing herds that leave well fed.
O Flaij, explain to those who visit our home
How I used to live.
I know your thoughts are swirled as in a whirlwind,
When you hear the voice of my anguished soul.
Send sweet peace and greetings to Bu'mair;
Kiss him on his forehead, for he is my father.
Fate has divided us, like the parting of a parent from a newborn.
O Father, this is a prison of injustice.
Its iniquity makes the mountains weep.
I have committed no crime and am guilty of no offense.
Curved claws have I,
But I have been sold like a fattened sheep.
I have no fellows but the Truth.
They told me to confess, but I am guiltless;
My deeds are all honorable and need no apology.
They tempted me to turn away from the lofty summit of integrity,
To exchange this cage for a pleasant life.
By God, if they were to bind my body in chains,
If all Arabs were to sell their faith, I would not sell mine.
I have composed these lines
For the day when your children have grown old.
O God--who governs creation with providence,
Who is one, singular and self-subsisting,
Who brings comfort and happy tidings,
Whom we worship--
Grant serenity to a heart that beats with oppression,
And release this prisoner from the tight bonds of confinement.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

The motto of this website is Deny Ignorance is it not.

There's not a shred of proof this letter is genuine, as I've mentioned in a post on the first page and just now, there is nothing further to add to that because nothing needs adding, if someone proves my points wrong then I'll gladly accept that this is genuine.

But for the points I've posted I believe that to not be the case.

Abu Ghraib is a different matter entirely and I don't see how it bears any relevance to this?
But yeah, those pictures are likely very real and I'm sure some people have been tortured at Guantanamo but that is not my point. My point is that this letter is an absolute load of crap, and several other people agree.

It's propaganda against the US, plain and simple. And no I'm not the kinda guy who walks around wearing a 'I Luv NY' t-shirt, I'm from the other side of the pond. I'm just telling it how I see it.

Edit cos something I've wrote seems not to make sense

[edit on 29-1-2010 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy

No mate he didn't survive suicide attempts 9 times, it was apparently 13 times in 5 years according to the article posted earlier, I'm sad I didn't get chance to write back after my first post on the front page, bein as this has kinda spiralled downward since.

Some sources claim 9 times some say thirteen times as you say.

His family also said he looked to be in better health than before..

Source?

So yeah this guy has been horrifically abused at the hands of those evil Americans/Nazis/Zionist allies

Yes he has been.

Jeez, people can't even spot a piece of blatant propaganda when they see it.

I doubt National Security Archive will keep propaganda. Most of the documents there have been released after FOIA request only. Perhaps, you would take a minute to visit the source before commenting, eh?

If he didn't commit suicide, then it's not a suicide note is it?

He did attempted suicide which you also admit. The nte written before suicide is an suicide note.

Many people have pointed out the inconsistencies in this letter. The use of language that makes it look like it was written by an American,

Correction - translated by an American would be more appropriate

the fact that there is still NO proof this was written by this man, it is nicely timed for a release just as the Gitmo issue is flaring up again, and we are honestly expected to believe that the American government would release a letter like this stating that he has been treated awfully through a FOIA request. If this letter were real it would have been burned and thrown to the winds the very second a guard had found it.

Again visit the link I posted of the source your "fact" and "assumption" would prove to be incorrect.

Straight up BS at it's best

Agree, your post is.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by Flakey

The motto of this website is Deny Ignorance is it not.

So why aren't you denying it?

There's not a shred of proof this letter is genuine, as I've mentioned in a post on the first page and just now, there is nothing further to add to that because nothing needs adding, if someone proves my points wrong then I'll gladly accept that this is genuine.

There is no shred of proof this is not genuine.

It's propaganda against the US, plain and simple. And no I'm not the kinda guy who walks around wearing a 'I Luv NY' t-shirt, I'm from the other side of the pond. I'm just telling it how I see it.Edit cos something I've wrote seems not to make sense

If it's propaganda, complain that to the US Govt. who released these documents. The very fact you have not checked the source of the letter is without doubt proving you as ignorant.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
And here is the source of the letter
============
"The Torture Archive" - The National Security Archive of George Washington University. Here is the link to the website- www.gwu.edu...

Or just click here - for direct link and select Key Documents-
www.aladin.wrlc.org...
============

Title: [Suicide Note of Guantánamo Prisoner Jumah Abdel Latif al-Dossari]

Date: 2005-10-14
Origin: [Detainee]
Document type: Letter
Non-Classified
Pages: 2 p.
Key document: Yes
Location of original: Torturing Democracy: The Torture Archive; torturingdemocracy.org...
View document:www.aladin.wrlc.org...
Language: English
Collection: The Torture Archive
Rights: All information displayed in this record, including any PDF image, is public.
Repository: National Security Archive
Date available: 2009-07-22

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Nope. No prizes there I'm afraid. The translation says our government not the American government, unless the translator they used was a retard I don't see why he'd change that.

The link for where his family says he's in good health is on the 2nd page of the thread (gulf-daily-news) which is also where I took his number of suicide attempts from being as they are interviewing his family.

The rest of your post.. well it's ripping into what I've said and still offers no proof that this letter is genuine, prisoners at Gitmo don't have rights. I don't believe they'd let him post him memoirs out to the world.

Agree your post is

Wow, you're really clever you managed to turn something I said and made me look the idiot!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I just want to add these links to this thread:

The Washington Post story reporting Jumah Dossari's suicide attempt

A link to the page at the Torture Archive at GWU to download a pdf of the letter

As for whether it's a hoax or not, clearly not. I wish we had an image of the actual letter (I assume that the pdf we have is a typed version of a handwritten letter). But the suicide attempt was actually witnessed by the lawyer.

Propaganda? well, maybe sort of. Only in the sense that the prisoner seems to have wanted his death to be reported to the world, and wrote the note with that aim in mind. I'm not a psychologist, and am just going on gut feeling, but to me it reads like a letter that he wanted published, rather than a letter meant only for the two men it is addressed to.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

Kindly refer this post - www.abovetopsecret.com...
Second line.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join