It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Deadly Dozen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41477bdd12ff.png[/atsimg]

THE DEADLY DOZEN
These 12 nationally known public figures claim to be Catholic, but their public support for decriminalized abortion is scandalous. Canon 915 makes it clear that supporting such heinous crimes makes them unworthy to receive Holy Communion.

"Those who have been ... obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion."

We call on all bishops, priests, deacons and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion to respectfully refuse Holy Communion to these and all public figures whose unrepentant support for the killing of babies in the womb defiles the body of Christ.

YOU CAN’T BE CATHOLIC AND PRO-ABORTION!

Click on the ad to see the full-size version.

American Life League

I don’t care what you think about abortion, the issue to me is the DISHONESTY of these politicians.

The fact of the matter is painfully clear; YOU CANNOT BE A CATHOLIC AND SUPPORT ABORTION! The teaching of the Church has always condemned the practice and any who claim to be Catholic yet support abortion have not only separated themselves from the Church but are also fooling themselves.

According to the Catholic Church, excommunication, in the sense of a formal proceeding, is not a penalty, but rather a formal proclamation of a pre-existing condition in a more or less prominent member of the Catholic Church. When such a person commits acts that in themselves separate him from the communion of the faithful, particularly when by word, deed, or example he or she "spreads division and confusion among the Faithful", it is necessary for the Church to clarify the situation by means of a formal announcement, which informs the laity that this is not a person to follow, and notifies the clergy that the person, by their own willful acts, has separated from the Church and is no longer to receive the sacraments, with the exception of Reconciliation if they turn from their ways.

Wickipedia

These politicians are not stupid. They know what they are doing is contrary to Church teachings and that they have put themselves outside the Church. They knowingly thumb their noses to Church teachings on not just the abortion issue but also on countless other Church teachings on social justice.

Why do they continue to claim to be Catholic?

They need this core voting constituency to continue to support them in order to stay in office, Catholics comprise up to one fifth of the world population. If these politicians were to come out with their TRUE secular humanist beliefs, a large portion of their voting block could fall away. Democrats are on thin ice with Christians to begin with, being able to identify themselves with one of the most conservative branches of Christianity helps to create the illusion that their beliefs are not so different from the common man.

These politicians are using the Catholic label in order to mislead a segment of their constituency, in much the same way Republicans use the “Christian Conservative” label to hold on to their core supporters.

The fact is, both parties are deceiving their followers into believing they support Christian values when the only thing they believe in is whatever their corporate campaign donors tell them to believe in.

Why don’t the people stand up in outrage to such blatant deception by their politicians?

Is it that they just don’t care? Are the average voters too stupid to recognize the deception? Or has the American public become so desensitized to government corruption, they think their politicians are SUPPOSED to be corrupt and meekly submit?

[edit on 27-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
There is a definite difference between 'cafeteria Catholics' and Catholics. Unfortunately, many cafeteria Catholics don't recognize that they don't have the ability to decide where they fall. That is the prerogative of the Church. It's pretty simple and binary, you either adhere to the dictates of the Church on the points that are not malleable or you don't.

There are number of people that consider themselves Catholic and yet don't believe in the things that make someone Catholic.

On the other hand, I haven't really seen any Catholic politicians using their religion to try to garner votes. Have you?

Eric

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
On the other hand, I haven't really seen any Catholic politicians using their religion to try to garner votes. Have you?

Eric

Nanci Pelosi did during the past election:

Pelosi Blasts McCain Over Anti-Catholic Pastor

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the most prominent Catholic serving in the U.S. government, called on Sen. John McCain to reject the endorsement of Texas televangelist John Hagee, who has labeled the Catholic church "the great whore," a "false cult system," and linked it to Hitler's Nazi movement.

"That behavior is outside the circle of civilized debate in our democracy," Pelosi said during a Thursday conference call. "I certainly think John McCain should reject his endorsement and I'm sure it won't be long before he does."

Huffington Post

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I suppose so.
But then, how many Christians and Jews adhere to the laws set out in the old testament? I mean, the ones about stoning and killing people etc.?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
In my opinion, you can be catholic and believe whatever the hell you want.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

Nanci, is that you?

[edit on 27-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

I don't mean to be rude, but your opinion really doesn't matter. It's like saying that you play second base for the Phillies when it is demonstrably provable that you don't. You either are or you are not and peoples opinions on the matter really aren't germane.

There is a very clear definition of what a Catholic is and is not. There is a bit of a blurring of the lines when someone is struggling with a specific issue and is working their way through it, but for the most part there are certain beliefs that you have to adhere to if you are a Catholic.

Eric

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
While appreciating the traditions of the Catholic faith, thiers are not the reasons I hold an anti-abortion stance. I do not consider extreme medical cases "abortion".I would consider the child of a rape victim an abortion. No matter how tragic the circumstance is the child is innocent and deserves a chance to experience life. As an inspiring scientist I would conclude that life begins at conception. The instance life emerges there is an acknowledgement of it by the physical world. It is welcomed, and begins to interact with its enviornment. This happens in a blink of an eye and is a subject I would research more if I were a wealthy person.

top topics

join