It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hi OP!

It's ironic that I stumbled on this today.

I have some thoughts, questions and conclusions about this very issue.

I am a caregiver and as of Monday I am watching my client (an 85 year old woman) lose her mind to dementia.
What I've been wondering is, for most of her life, she's been on medications for an assortment of problems, shock therapy and married to a man who was there physically (to call the doctors, 911 etc) but not emotionally.
So it's no surprise that she is in the psychiatric ward of the hospital right now, as I type this and is ending her life in this stage of being. It's not just dementia but deeper for she's had emotional problems all her life.

I am wondering if people in general (certainly not all) manifest their emotional problems into physical/mental ones to the point they get to get a label like: manic-depressive, bi-polar, post traumatic syndrome etc....which then results into taking pills.
And many of these people have physical problems too like Parkinsons, bad backs, stomach ulcers, high blood pressure ....etc.

My point is this.
I think everyone has their own personal threshold as far as coping with things in life. And when their threshold is met or exceeded, they react mentally and then get fed a variety of medications.

To me it's like putting a band aid on a broken leg. It (medication and 'labels') doesn't get down to the root of the problem and in fact, the treatment and label almost becomes an enabler/crunch to many patients.

I know this might sound insensitive and please believe me, I am not. I wouldn't be in this field of care-giving if I were but I am seeing a pattern between my patients and some of my peers.
We're a society that's way to quick to pop a pill and that scares me. More times than others....this pill-popping results in huge problems down the road. Whether medically (like kidney failure) or psychologically like paranoia or depression.

I will assume you're getting counseling although personally, I don't subscribe to that but many people do need that network and I don't begrudge anyone from seeking therapy.

I'd be interested in knowing what happened to you and help you to understand (not necessarily accept) your problem(s) and try to help you to cope better (which is very hard) and not to turn to meds.

I wish you the very best and I will check back to see whether you went into more detail about your situation.
Peace, love and light~

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
I suffer from depression, sometimes it would be to the point of several suicide attempts, others just days curled up in bed refusing to speak. Currently i'm in a great spot, but i've worked my *** off to get here, i don't consider myself sick anymore. I refuse to take any more meds for it because a) they make me sicker in the head and b) i'm one of the unlucky buggers that suffers every side-effect in the book while on medication. So after alot of hard work and 'soul searching' i'm in a place where i can say i'm honestly happy with my life. It took me a good year or two of writing, going through my life, reevaluating my priorities, finding healthy passions etc to get here, but was totally worth it

Sorry to hear that medication didn't work for you, I guess everyone is different and it comes down to personal circumstances. Without going into personal details, could you give some advice to those who also find it tough coping with the side effects of medication? Maybe some direction for them so they can experience the contentness you have managed to achieve?

-----------------------

Originally posted by EyeOnYou
thanks, i had insight enough to see how good could come about from my illness.

i saw in this a kind of weeding out process which showed me who my friends were and who were just hangers on, i have shed no tears over the loss of communication with those that distanced themselves from me.

and not only that i have learned many valuable lessons over the past year or so which i would have otherwise been ignorant of.

I guess sometimes it takes these negative experiences for us to discover the good in our lives and allows us to appreciate things more when we go through hard times.

[edit on 24/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TwoPhish

I can totally understand that link of reasoning, and appreciate you speaking on a thought many do have.

As I stated before, i would not advocate medication without therapy- which is what allows those who are unstable without the meds to become stable enough to actually make progress.

I used an example before of sending someone to physical therapy while their leg is still broken- it won't work, and will cause considerable damage;
You must stabilize and allow the leg to begin healing until it is strong enough for physical therapy.

That is how i view mental illness treatment. Many, like myself for example, would not have made much progress, if any at all, until I was in the correct state of mind to actually benefit from it. Medication allowed that, and now my therapy sessions are useful.

From that point, one can begin to get to the root of the issue, and I agree, many states of depression, anxiety, and obviously PTSD stem from environmental and situational events.

But strangely enough, it is usually a combination of things.

PTSD could be stemming from a specific event. Depression and anxiety may too, but normally they stem from a person lacking the correct chemistry, or skills, to rationally and "normally" deal with certain events or life in general.

Those who suffer from these issues are more susceptible to added anxiety, mania, or trauma, which compounds the issues in their entirety. The key for those with that issue, like myself, is to "reset" the brain chemistry to allow it to "rewire" itself and cope with the issues in a "normal" manner. Normal being something untraumatic and anxiety or depression based.

There is rarely pure mental illness without emotional trauma. But after experiencing these emotional inbalances over time, the brain has the ability to, and WILL rewire itself to accept these as "normal functioning". So the work done in therapy is to assess, and plan treatment to help get the wires back in their right places.

This is a very basic idea of how it works, but it DOES work. Medication alone will not help mental illness, which may be the reason many fail to see it's benefits.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TwoPhish

hi twophish

Originally posted by TwoPhish
I am wondering if people in general (certainly not all) manifest their emotional problems into physical/mental ones to the point they get to get a label like: manic-depressive, bi-polar, post traumatic syndrome etc....which then results into taking pills.
And many of these people have physical problems too like Parkinsons, bad backs, stomach ulcers, high blood pressure ....etc.

for as many mental disorders there are 3 times as many causes in my opinion

I know this might sound insensitive and please believe me, I am not. I wouldn't be in this field of care-giving if I were but I am seeing a pattern between my patients and some of my peers.
We're a society that's way to quick to pop a pill and that scares me. More times than others....this pill-popping results in huge problems down the road. Whether medically (like kidney failure) or psychologically like paranoia or depression.

i do believe that GP's are are too quick in throwing medication at problems, its isnt always the person that wants medication, they just assume that since its their GP that recommends it then it must be good, i think ritalin and citalopram are prescribed far too often where they needn't be.
there are some meds out there that if used on a long term basis can lead to adverse side effects which is why most times it is just a "course" of meds you take.
but most often when prescribed meds when diagnosed with a mental illness it is necessary to use the meds as a "crutch" so to speak to help you get back on your feet. unless you've actually experienced it first hand its hard to explain.

I will assume you're getting counseling although personally, I don't subscribe to that but many people do need that network and I don't begrudge anyone from seeking therapy.

well there are all kindsa therapys for all kindsa illnesses, i havent really taken any therapy since i tire of people very quickly and am easily irritated and the few times i have tried therapy ended in disaster and me being sent to ITS.

I'd be interested in knowing what happened to you and help you to understand (not necessarily accept) your problem(s) and try to help you to cope better (which is very hard) and not to turn to meds.

most of what happened to me i put in my first post but if theres anything specific you want to know either ask me here or U2U me.
i already understand my illness and how i came to have since i got diagnosed i have read quite a lot of literature and educated myself about it and i have already accepted it as a part of who i am.
but for the time being the meds for me are a necessity since they stabilize my mood, so i dont want to rip out someones throat then buy them a bunch of flowers after

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I guess sometimes it takes these negative experiences for us to discover the good in our lives and allows us to appreciate things more when we go through hard times.

[edit on 24/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

well put simply i dont believe in mistakes; only feedback, and i strongly believe in fate.
everything you experience i believe is a lesson if you have the frame of mind to see it and to learn from it.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I don't mean to demean anyone by saying this but....

If you are human, you have a mental illness.

Anyone who judges you for your illness is a hypocrite.

Anyone who thinks that drugs are the only way to learning how to get a grip is also a hypocrite.

They help, but they're not the answer. If you're not strong enough yourself to overcome the challenge of taking back control of yourself, then you have only one other option. Seek the Truth.

As an added note, I am completely aware that genetics DO play a part in these mental illnesses. WE DO IN FACT acquire our parents' and/or grandparents' demons. However, if we defeat these demons, there is a possibility of rendering that part of the genetic code inert. There will be less of a possibility of passing that demon on.

But you yourself must overcome it. No drug can change you. BUT YOU CAN! And if you can't, I say again, Seek the Truth.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

i know drugs aint the answer, i never said that, but they can help.

and i agree too that everyone has some form of mental illness.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Everyone is in fact, entitled to their opinions. But they remain just that- opinions. I become concerned when I see medical advice given from those who are basing their advice on spirituality, not science.

Let's use some common sense- faith is faith, not fact. If there is a scientific root of an issue, one would utilize science to treat it, not faith.

This is not a disparaging comment, or meant to be insulting- please be aware that not all of us who frequent this forum are adults, or rationally thinking people. I would seriously hate for someone to read a post and base their actions on it.

The ONLY people who should be giving medical advice to be followed is a doctor, and not one on the internet.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjcord

Everyone is in fact, entitled to their opinions. But they remain just that- opinions. I become concerned when I see medical advice given from those who are basing their advice on spirituality, not science.

Let's use some common sense- faith is faith, not fact. If there is a scientific root of an issue, one would utilize science to treat it, not faith.

This is not a disparaging comment, or meant to be insulting- please be aware that not all of us who frequent this forum are adults, or rationally thinking people. I would seriously hate for someone to read a post and base their actions on it.

The ONLY people who should be giving medical advice to be followed is a doctor, and not one on the internet.

You are fool to think that any doctor of any sort knows everything if anything. All a doctor knows is that he wrote something that everyone else agreed with in order to get his status. All a doctor knows is what he witnesses, not what he experiences. And all you know is what is told to you by a doctor...

Unless of course you have common sense and wisdom. In which case you'd recognize that your mental illness is the inability to believe that someone who doesn't have their Ph.D. could give advice. Because the DEGREE SAYS SO.

I'm not sure if there is a name for that illness...

I'll go ahead and tell you one of mine. It's like show and tell!

I have a really hard time coping with people who don't think.

Allow me to help you just this one time.

Who earned the first educational degree? Then WHO WAS QUALIFIED TO PRESENT IT?

Enjoy and be safe.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

My point stands, and in fact has been strengthened by your post.

it is LOGICAL to leave science with science, and faith with faith.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeOnYou

we are all on a conspiracy web site.........i think were all a little crazy. i know i am

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I have been devastated by mental illness in my family. My ex-wife is a schizophrenic, which I was not aware of when we married. My 15 year old son has bipolar disorder, Aspergers Syndrome and ADHD, as well as a few others. he is in a facility in another state because my state has allowed their mental health system to implode.

My 18 year old son also has mental illness, refused help and preferred homelessness and drugs and alcohol over all the help we offered him, and now tells me he passed out drunk a few months ago behind a bus station and was raped....he now is HIV positive.

My 21 yr old daughter does not have mental illness, per se, but is very ' senssitive, and no doubt has some form of illness that has not been diagnosed because she leads a very sedentary lifestyle.

So, mental illness has ruined my family, caused untold heartache, and were I not a very strong willed person would have left me depressed and useless....I must be strong for my kids sake and try to help them....but all the pills and all the doctors could not help some conditions and unless society makes enough resources available to help these people they, and their families, live a daily nightmare.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

My point stands, and in fact has been strengthened by your post.

it is LOGICAL to leave science with science, and faith with faith.

Your logic isn't even comparing well with human wisdom.

All science is based on faith.

Any knowledge you -think- you have is based on the fact that you have faith that the knowledge is true at all.

Might I remind you how much of our scientific knowledge has been amended in the last 100 years? 50 years? 5 years?

oh, but then, I have made myself a hypocrite... because I have faith that our scientific knowledge was ever what it is.

But in turn, I have made you a hypocrite because you believe that there is no knowledge in faith.

Enjoy yourself.

P.S. -- I forgot to say that hypocrisy is a mental illness! Mwahaha!

[edit on 1/24/2010 by TarzanBeta]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by richierich
I have been devastated by mental illness in my family. My ex-wife is a schizophrenic, which I was not aware of when we married. My 15 year old son has bipolar disorder, Aspergers Syndrome and ADHD, as well as a few others. he is in a facility in another state because my state has allowed their mental health system to implode.

My 18 year old son also has mental illness, refused help and preferred homelessness and drugs and alcohol over all the help we offered him, and now tells me he passed out drunk a few months ago behind a bus station and was raped....he now is HIV positive.

My 21 yr old daughter does not have mental illness, per se, but is very ' senssitive, and no doubt has some form of illness that has not been diagnosed because she leads a very sedentary lifestyle.

So, mental illness has ruined my family, caused untold heartache, and were I not a very strong willed person would have left me depressed and useless....I must be strong for my kids sake and try to help them....but all the pills and all the doctors could not help some conditions and unless society makes enough resources available to help these people they, and their families, live a daily nightmare.

I love you.

Second line.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
i was went inpatient and was diagnosed with bipolar at 16. went on heavy medication and then moved to my dad's and ended up off it cold turkey. pretty bad withdrawals. so then for a long period of time i handled my "illness" naturally or by myself. not easy. but doable at the time.
though i went inpatient again at 20 and was again heavily medicated. i was also in the middle of a wicked drug addiction, so that didn't help, of course.
eventually came out of the other side of a drug addiction and then got pregnant. went on medication again.
doctors orders: worst advice i ever took. my poor son shook for the first few weeks of his life. i had not done any drugs other than what they had prescribed, prozac and earlier than that, celexa, i think.

they also diagnosed me with borderline when i was pregnant that time.

i don't go back now. :/ i'm kinda lonely, but its better than people trying to shove drugs down my throat.

if i went back now they'd probably diagnose me schizo--affective at best. *snickers* but i won't ever go back because i think the medical community severely misunderstand and mistreats that which they call "mental illness"

to some i may be strange, crazy, out-there, whatever. i know i have "symptoms" of schizophrenia, technically, but my understanding of these symptoms on a spiritual plane allow me to handle the differences in feelings, thoughts and sensations better than any medication or therapist could or ever did.

thats my story. i don't tell it anymore, to anyone.

i just think mental illness is different than the norm, but as a bipolar person i feel more intensely. my mood swings are not for no reason, just no physically apparent reason. there is no drug to treat Borderline, just good old introspection and serious work on self. as for schizophrenia...i honestly believe i just have closer contact with my higher self and the synchronicities of life. i don't see patterns where they do not exist because patterns are the blueprint for all that exists. all is connected, its easy to see if you just open your eyes.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
In all due respect OP...the word diagnosis means:

Di: Two
Agnosis: ignorance

We, in this very society put too much credence, trust and belief in the medical realm.
Not that they're out to harm us but their 'diagnosis' is a guess at best and they're out to make money at the very end!

It's like turning to the head of a church, chapel, synagogue whatever and asking THEM to tell US what the meaning of life (or death) is all about.

We have to start accepting our own lives with all it's limits, uncertainties and judgements for our own! It's our own onus, not others.

We're all messed up. We all have improvements to make and most are too weak to deal with anything less than perfection (that, society has guided us into believing) so when it comes to the 'mind'...it's a slippery slope at best.

We're all fine. We're all doing our thing and..............it's very deep!
Believe in yourself and I believe, that's the best medicine out there!

[edit on 24-1-2010 by TwoPhish]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
In some societies people that suffer from this would be considered a shaman, I learned this in my Magic, Shamanism, and Religion class Anthropology class. I also study Sociology and it seems as if some mental illnesses are also cultural. Mental illnesses in other countries will have different symptoms and people act different. It seems as if there is some shaping of mental illness behavior according to the culture that person is in.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bambino.machievelli

yeah i agree, in terms of human history "mental illness" is a relatively new term.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

you just sound like one of those preachy "i know better than you types"

all you have is an opinion, you give me proof as to why all medication is bad.

just because you dont need it doesnt mean other people dont.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bambino.machievelli

no such thing as madness just different degrees of normality.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join