It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bit of respect

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The lesson of such events is that life is short, so make the best of it while you live.

We do not need to give a thought to those who died, they are released now in a way that most of us are unable to consider. So they are no longer important to the planet, they have completed their contracts to be where they were and to experience it directly.

Thus, the only ones I would think need our focus are those dead who have not made it across yet due to their beliefs and self-creations. They need the help as much as the living who remain, and fortunately for them there are a large number of genuine workers who assist in helping them to clarity in order to pass over.

Just my 2 cents worth of nothing much.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Check out Anderson Cooper 360 on now!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2

I love this site, and enjoy the banter and discussions we have, but there comes a time when the conspiracies and predictions should stop, as we take a moment to contemplate.

This isnt going to be a religious speech, the earth is a fragile home to us, and as the current Haiti situation should remind us, life is short, it is precious and we should respect it when it is lost.

Once you read this and even if you dont agree with me, just take a moment to remember all the people that have lost their lives, in the earthquakes, terrorist attacks and wars that we discuss on here, because i feel sometimes we forget these losses.

Thank you for your time.

I think you are wrong. America has entered into one disaster after another with unparelleled losses of life to both sides of the issue. Should we sit back and THINK before we speak to those issues as well? The losses are the very reason free speech is important. The first amendment is designed to free the people, and stands as a vanguard against otherwise secret governments. I for one want to hear any and all conspiracy theories so that I might be informed of possible truths as to how my representatives are conducting themselves or using my tax dollar. There are just 500 and something elected officials who run the country. If they wanted to change some aspect of this nation they could. I dont trust them, and I want them held accountable.

I learned the hard way that it is best to avoid the appearance of evil. If my government would avoid the appearance of evil there would be fewer posts to this web site.

I agree that writers should probably use language appropriate to the circumstance or subject, yet, I think we can be sensitive to the subject and still voice a concern. You will note that the earthquake in Haiti has taken national attention away from other pressing issues, like the war, and health care....how fortunate for Obama.

Ok, so you cant yell "FIRE" in a theater, we get that, but screw anyone who attempts to otherwise damage our right to free speech, or my right to hear the opinions of others; whether they be non-sense or valid.

I love the freedom of the press more then any other right listed in the bill of rights. Obviously the founding fathers thought is was important as well. Because radio was the last bastion of free speech for conservatives Clinton tried to wipe out the rights of commentators in that realm. You will note that currently there is documented evidence that the Obama administration wants to stiffle web sites like the very one in which you are participating in now.

Perhaps you would do better to pronounce your love and concern of the Haitian people without denegrating people for using their rights to freely express themselves.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by regretable]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Respect denied.

Of course I give everyone a basic level of "respect", but these people I have no idea who they are do not deserve my respect any more than the other stranger that lives down the road.

Until I know you and what you truly stand for, my respect will be grounded.

Is it okay to stereotype if the characteristic attached is positive? Guess so.

Eh...I am just sick of the "love, peace, respect" threads that really do nothing besides show SO MUCH respect. Yeah right.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

People don't care about lost lives when there is a chance to be the first to expose a supposed possible conspiracy.

Chadwickas

You get/have a lot of respect on this site. I won't even consider a notion
that you do not have it coming. However

You are only and completely wrong about what you have said here.
To begin your sentence with those three words.
I certianly hope this, as a reflection of you, is a most distorted illusion.

la2
Just because a few people rush to get a story up first means absolutly nothing. Certainly it isn't disrespect. it is a requirement of the world you and I live in.

When a loved one dies are they not to be mourned?
I can tell you, they are.
Is a large loss of life not a reminder of our own mortality and therefore
worthy of respect.
Any loss of life is just what it suggests. It is a loss.

People do care.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by cjcord

i'm not angry words can be taken out of context because infact they have no emotion so therefore i cant express my feeling of what i'm saying through the typing of this computer but now say if i was blatantly writing in anger it would be obvious but because i'm questioning the content of the forum does not mean i'm angry i'm just stating that its sad that it takes tragedy to bring people together or for people to feel sorry for another!

I did think you was a bit of a KnobEd like but i can relate to that as i somtimes find it hard to feel emotion also,.
well put my friend!"

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I wholeheartedly agree.

Surely one can still show respect while delving into possible theories as to why a catastrophe like this occurred. In fact, inquiring about catastrophe's like this one may be the only way to show respect to current and potential future victims.

I once got 'shot down' by a friend who thought I was disrespecting the 9/11 victims by proposing a conspiracy theory. I vowed I would not let that 'get to me' and continued to propose whenever the appropriate opportunity arose.

To say that critical thinking is disrespectful? Not at all.

Anyway. Thank you for your insight.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosis111
reply to post by metalholic

I wasn't. I was too busy thinking of the poor and homeless living in disgusting conditions in the USA.

Nearly a million homeless in US. www.msnbc.msn.com... This was taken at the peak of our economic boom. How many are homeless now?

Haiti has a population of 10 mil, with a million homeless SINCE the earthquake!news.bbc.co.uk...

Per capita they have more homeless, but we still have a million homeless people of our own to help, feed, and clothe. Where is the gov't aide for them?

[edit on (1/20/10) by gnosis111]

[edit on (1/20/10) by gnosis111]

A trend I've noticed lately, not to say that you fall into this category, is people who normally oppose spending more tax dollars on domestic social welfare seem to be asking this same question.

Where is the government aide for our own homeless? Well, I hope that aide workers in Haiti aren't checking passports when they pull people out of the rubble. There are some 50,000 Americans there.

If you're that concerned about the homeless in America, go give a jacket to the first guy you see begging downtown. Go donate your afternoon to a soup kitchen. Vote for politicians that want to spend more on social welfare.

America has a history with Haiti. The more you learn about it, the more appalling it becomes. We helped put them in the situation they are in, the least we can do is offer them some help in a situation as dire as this. Especially considering that we spend less of our GDP on foreign aid than most other civilized nations. We give a lot more money to Israel for spending on weapons than we do to most developing countries to spend on food.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In the end, Haiti will be repaired to a point where it can return to it's previous state of utter despair and poverty.

There are few who are in a position to help.

Has your boss or company arranged a drive to help?
No? You're entire social construct doesn't actually care.

what are you or the people you work with and for doing about it?
Is ytour boss taking a little profit and spending it on supplies and getting a flight down there for a couple fo people to help out?

No?

why not? You think it's because we don't care? You're right. We care enough to posture as if we do, but in reality, I'm thinking about my weekend and what I'm going to do and I'm already fatigued with listening to radio and tv people cry their crocodile tears for Haiti.

Haiti is and has been a miserable mess of impoverioshment for decades and decades.

Now that it's flattened, why do we care about them now? We didn't give a crap before.

think about why YOU aren't doing anything. That's all you need to think about.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Haha are you one of those people Obama sent along to keep tabs on us?

I think it's an unusual thing to say that we don't spare a thought for the people injured or killed by the events we discuss here as possible conspiracies. Ultimately we're doing what we can to give these people a fair representation that isn't by a media controlled by the powers that be. We COULD just sit around checking out what a 'drunk cheerleader' gets up to after prom or play some flash games with poor morality, but instead we dedicate our internet time to furthering our understanding of events world-wide that are unfairly damaging peoples psyche, freedoms or even taking their lives. What bigger honour could we do such people than dedicating our efforts to uncover possible crimes committed on them that would otherwise fade into the shadows?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join