It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bit of respect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
la2
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I love this site, and enjoy the banter and discussions we have, but there comes a time when the conspiracies and predictions should stop, as we take a moment to contemplate.

This isnt going to be a religious speech, the earth is a fragile home to us, and as the current Haiti situation should remind us, life is short, it is precious and we should respect it when it is lost.

Once you read this and even if you dont agree with me, just take a moment to remember all the people that have lost their lives, in the earthquakes, terrorist attacks and wars that we discuss on here, because i feel sometimes we forget these losses.

Thank you for your time.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
People don't care about lost lives when there is a chance to be the first to expose a supposed possible conspiracy.

Accolades of your internet forum peers is a whole lot more important.

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think at some point we have all been guilty of it, but it is a shame that more emphasis isnt put on this issue, the amount of threads about 'Haiti conspiracy' or '45000 haitians to be sent to usa', yet nothing about the 75,000 people Haiti has alreasy buried.

I'm glad i wasnt seen as foolish for bringing this up.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I cannot agree more. All day, the only thing on my mind was "What if it were here?"

I live on the 18th floor and i would not like it one bit.

And another 6.1 just hit them. imagine all of the homeless under the ruble, trying to sleep, then this happens again. crushing the little chance of survival they had. It sickens me sometimes to think things like this happens.

But, all of our time is limited, and be thankful it was not you. I sure am. S&F for compassion and empathy.

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Exactly, my first thought was for the people on the ground, aid workers and Haitians. I have experienced a 4.3 and a 5.1, and i was 2 miles from epicentre of the 4.3, and it was so scary.

It gets lost because death and suffering isnt as juicy as the idea that its more than it seems, so it gets over looked.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Thank you for your post.

It seems we did a lot of battling that in the mega-Haiti thread. We respectfully asked those with the conspiracy theories to kindly begin their own thread in the conspiracy areas, as that thread was specifically for live updates and info as the earthquakes were happening.

I realize this is a conspiracy website, but forums are set up in such a way that not all threads must deal with conspiracy theories. Some are news, some are scientific...in the case of this disaster, those of us who were most active in that thread had our minds on the people of Haiti, no matter the cause.

Respect is the correct wording. yes, we are all here to question, but some of us are deeply affected by the human tragedy, and we should be allowed that.

So thank you.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by la2

before the earthquake did you ever take time to feel sympathetic for all the children and people living in that disgusting country?

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I know alot of repect is shown, there are many really genuine people on here, thanks for your responce, i just wanted to raise it as a specific issue.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Cjcord you said it perfectly.

Plenty of people here feel the same way - most of them on these forums ie. Fragile Earth, because we all know there is more to life then conspiracy and are trying to make people more aware of the events that our planet can throw at us without the intervention of man. Don't feel like a fool for having a heart.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

I know I did. I would hope most people would take the time to think of those less-fortunate. Biggest pet peeve is when people who have it reasonably easy complain about how their 'life sucks' but, i think these events do make people more aware of it than usual

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

No, didnt think about Haiti much before, but why would I, the people of Haiti, yes lived in poverty, but it was only poverty in comparison to countries around them, its not always about thinking of countries constantly, but it is about having the respect to think about the people affected when something does happen, much as I did on September 11th, yet no-one asked me if I thought of New York on the 10th aswell.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
i had a teacher who was a naval core man who had been to haiti he described it as disgusting from what he said there are flies all over the place people use the bathroom outside and urinate and drop there feces in trenches dug in the ground and all kinds of other stuff..but before the earthquake where was all the empathy? towards the starving children in ethiopia? i'm not in here to be a "butt" but seriously! lets not try to look like we are above and beyond because no one gives any heart until a tragedy especially to a country like haiti

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I'm not sure who all this anger is directed towards. As for your examples, Haiti and Eithiopia, there are hundreds of aid and charity organizations on the ground there all the time- so it is not as if the entire world has turned a blind eye! We are all human, and we do what we can, if we choose to.

Are you insisting that any person who was not there, on the ground, feeding people by hand have no right to feel empathy and compassion to others in tragedy? That's absurd!

I know for myself, I am thankful every damn day that I live in a country where my family has food to eat and shelter to live in, and no, we are not rich. We live paycheck to paycheck and bills get put off, but we prioritize. This does not diminish the fact that yes, this planet has it's own plans, and anyone of us could be in this same situation at any moment.

It is a call to awareness for any of us living in a self centered existence. We have NO control over this planet and what it does, and none of us are protected from forgetting that at times. For those of us who DO remember, we hug our children closer and are grateful for what we have right now. It could be gone in seconds.

But shame on you for berating those who are not daily vocal about world issues- not all of us have the time or presence of mind to think of others at all moments. At least we think of them at all.

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

I couldnt agree more, you said it perfectly.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

i'm not angry words can be taken out of context because infact they have no emotion so therefore i cant express my feeling of what i'm saying through the typing of this computer but now say if i was blatantly writing in anger it would be obvious but because i'm questioning the content of the forum does not mean i'm angry i'm just stating that its sad that it takes tragedy to bring people together or for people to feel sorry for another!

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Its just how it has always been, there is over 6 billion people on earth, its impossible to think of those who live in poverty all of the time, the point of my OP, was to just say regardless of what goes on, we should just respect those who lose their lives, because they deserve atleast that much of our time.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by la2

yeah i'll go with that!

la2

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Oh good, the last thing i wanted was anyone getting upset or anything, deep down the people who've responded to this understand what i mean, and i'm glad we've all agree'd things.

I will say i agree with your position, it is harsh Haiti never got the help and awarness it required, but these disasters show us what we can do, yes its late, but we are comassionate when we know an issue is there.

whats the phrase, the rich get richer and the poor stay poor, its not a fair world, but with people like yourselves there will always be hope and compassion when things go wrong.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
S&F for a vain plea. I like what the op said, but wait for the arguments about coverups to migrate here.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obinhi
S&F for a vain plea. I like what the op said, but wait for the arguments about coverups to migrate here.

Stop being intentionally trollish, insisting and provoking.. and maybe they won't? If you want to discuss the tragedy, discuss the tragedy, don't troll about almost demanding that "these people" come in here. So you can prove a point?

I'm with metal on this, the conditions these people live in, are horrible. No, I didn't do enough, if anything at all, let alone think about it constantly, but I was always aware. It takes extreme death and suffering to get people's attention, and frankly it's never enough. I found the amounts of money given by the United States and other nations appalling, so insignificant, and the notion that the people have to donate money, insulting. There is tons of money that the government can donate, and even in times of intense anguish, they give petty change. They don't need a person's $10, but insist on it as if the govt. doesn't have billions to give, or the ability to do so. This right after the banker bailouts.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join