It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard about the messeges?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
A little while ago I got a book from a friend of mine. It was a book called Alien Encounters and was written by Rupert Matthews. In this book were many detailed accounts of abductions, sightings , and the like . In the final pages of the volume, was a reference to an incident that I dont recall ever having heard about before.

I shant copy it down verbatim because that would land me up getting boned by copyright lawyers in hades for all time, but I will give you the summary version and see what you make of it.

According to the author of the book, an astronomer told him, that during the 1980's NASA had picked up a radio signal originating on one of the moons of Jupiter. The signal appeared to carry a coded messege but all NASA's technological powers failed to decode it in any way . The President of the United States of America was alerted and called the president of the Soviet Union (as it was then) to ask if they knew anything about it . The Soviets admitted that they had spotted the signal a few weeks earlier, but couldnt make head nor tail of it. All they could say was that the signal appeared to be artificial, and sent by an intelligent form of life. A big conference was held , at which it was decided that if the signal was being sent from beings based on Jupiters moon, then contact ought to be established, and so a return signal was devised. Sent in morse code, this statement was sent: "We have recieved your signal, but we do not understand it. Please resend your signal using this language and transmission code."
The signal was sent , and immediately the original signal on the moon of Jupiter ceased. For weeks radio recievers on earth were pointed at the original signal source, waiting for a transmission to begin, and lo and behold it did! The new signal was being beamed directly at earth and was in morse code! The scientists translated the signal , with great excitement, only to realise that the first communication from an intelligent lifeform had said "We weren't talking to you."

Now... What I want to know is , is this new information to us? If so , can it be verified? Just so you can look up the author if you wish , I will provide linkage

www.rupertmatthews.com...

Now I have looked on there , but I cannot find this book on his site even though he is most certainly the author. Perhaps hes none to proud of it heh. Anyway , if anyone has any more on the story of this messege I would be pleased to hear of it !

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
The scientists translated the signal , with great excitement, only to realise that the first communication from an intelligent lifeform had said "We weren't talking to you."

This is so hillarious it just "has" to be true...

The tone of it reminds me of Douglas Adams's Guide to the Galaxy.
Or Stanislav Lem's Ijon Tichy.

About the event itself, is the first time i hear this "version", i had heard that around that time someone (either Nasa or Ussr) had received an interesting signal, but the other part is new to me, so i have NO idea.
Cool, nontheless.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

........ the first communication from an intelligent lifeform had said "We weren't talking to you."

If true it would not surprise me that Aliens have have such contempt towards humans!

I would if I were in their shoes.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This sounds like a Twilight Zone episode. It has Serling's sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Assuming for the sake of argument that the story is true and not a joke, there is conjecture that life may exist in the oceans under the surface of Callisto and (especially) Europa; if intelligent life had somehow evolved on these worlds it seems logical that they might try to communicate with other ocean dwelling species (although snubbing our message is still rather rude!).

Another possibility is that the same alien beings that many UFOlogists believe have established underwater bases here on Earth have also established similar bases on the Jovian moons and we eavesdropped on them communicating. Of course if this were the case it seems unlikely that they would send the return message, but hey maybe they have more of a sense of humour than we give them credit for.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Indeed, perhaps this is so . I was merely wondering if anyone else had heard this story , and perhaps had another piece of the puzzle so to speak.
If this story is true then it has various implications for the UFO community , and for the whole world really , thats what interested me about it. I have emailed the author asking him about the statement as made in his book , and if I get any form of response then i will update ! Meanwhile, keep brainstorming, and again, if anyone has some concrete on this, then please share it for the greater good !

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Humans: A/S/L?
Aliens: GTFO

Sorry, I had to.

But no, I had never heard this story before. It sounds suspiciously Hollywood-like though.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If they were'nt talking to us who WERE they talking to?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

Great question. I think it depends which side of the fence you sit on . Some folks think that there are a whole bunch of different ET races out there, some of them not too far from here (on the universal scale). If you roll with that particular group, you could assume that it was merely a collect call from a payphone at what amounts to a small gas station in the middle of a desert lol. Me I like scientific proof . I just want to know wether this happened or not really , once I can confirm either way, THEN I will begin examining the deeper questions at hand.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, OP! Great to have a laugh once in a while.
S&F for you...

Seriously though, I'd never heard a thing about this alleged "message" so it has certainly piqued my interest. If there is any way to get more information about it, to try and establish if the story has any credibility, I expect that our ATS members will let us know.

Odd that the "reply" was so short. Besides saying "We weren't talking to you," they could at least have thrown in a few apocalyptic-style warnings. But then, maybe they did and the PTB (in their infinite wisdom) decided not to let that part of the response become known.

Speaking of wisdom or the lack of it, I still wonder about the people who put together projects like Pioneer 10 (and others), with the intention of sending artifacts out of our solar system and letting "others" know where we are and what we look like.

It would be great if eventually we get a similar craft coming back our way with a message attached:

We already know where you are and what you look like, you dummies! We made you and PUT you there!

Mike

[edit on 17/1/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

It would be great if eventually we get a similar craft coming back our way with a message attached:

We already know where you are and what you look like, you dummies! We made you and PUT you there!

Mike

[edit on 17/1/10 by JustMike]

That would be messed up, but at least it would be a little more informative huh ? I think if there are other races in the universe that its less likely that one of them "created" us . The more we hear about other races, seems to me that the universe could just be a cradle of life rather than the cold dead expanse that previous decades had it marked out as. I wouldnt call that a belief at this stage because theres no science to back it, but its an interesting thought excersize I guess

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Awesome...first contact and it just so happens to be with a bunch of douchebags.
I'm wondering if we could've sent a return message with then Vice President George H.W. Bush giving them the finger.
That'll learn 'em real good.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I've never heard of this little story either,interesting but seems a little out there to be true.
then again sometimes the simplest things turn out to make the biggest impact,stories & pictures that look fake could infact be the real thing

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Interesting, and no I havent heard of this before.

I ran across this wiki article that may shed some light, or not.

en.wikipedia.org...

"The location of Io and its auroral footprint with respect to the Earth and Jupiter has a strong influence on Jovian radio emissions from our vantage point: when Io is visible, radio signals from Jupiter increase considerably.[24][49] The Juno mission, planned for the next decade, should help to shed light on these processes."

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
OP, I can assure you that the story is nothing more than made up tripe, much like 99% of everything you read, see or hear concerning this laughable subject.

But, I give it thumbs up for at least being entertaining, and being so obviously made up that I'm not actually insulted that some try to pass this stuff offf as real (most with even the ability to use a small portion of their brain see right through this crap)

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yes, it would be a bit more informative, but the trouble is that we'd have no real way of knowing if they were giving us the truth or pulling our collective legs. That's why I like that original "message" so much. It's suggestive of a race with a sense of humor. Either that, or whoever pulled coms. duty that day/week/year was feeling pissed off and couldn't be bothered saying anything else.

I do like the idea of the universe as a cradle of life, though. It makes more sense to me than the notion that there are no other fairly advanced forms of life out there.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think you'll find it's actually a joke...

scroll down a bit...

Joke

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up Majestic ! See, I dont mind that being the end of this, I just wanted to know, and now I do !
Thanks to everyone who had a go at this, sorry it turned out bull , but you never know till you ask I guess.

See you all on another thread somewhere.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It reminded me of this silly joke, where two aliens landed with their spaceship in a park next to a man walking his dog next to him:
They asked: "How often do you walk him?"
The man answered: "Twice a day"
Aliens: "We weren't talking to you!"

[edit on 28/10/2008 by RedAmnesia]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedAmnesia
It reminded me of this silly joke, where two aliens landed with their spaceship in a park next to a man walking his dog next to him:
They asked: "How often do you walk him?"
The man answered: "Twice a day"
Aliens: "We weren't talking to you!"

[edit on 28/10/2008 by RedAmnesia]

^^ He he he..

TrueBrit, it's why we are all here I guess, to find the truth, it's worth putting up on the site if your not sure about something, there wil be someone somewhere who's got a view on most subjects, I thought I'd come across the story but couldn't remember where...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join