It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
www.boston.com...

Haiti 48 hours later
Two days after the magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck beneath Port-au-Prince, Haiti, some of the massive damage is becoming more apparent. Rescue teams are arriving, aid groups are trying their best to battle huge logistical challenges, bodies are being identified, and some medical care is being given. Rescue teams from all over the world have joined the recovery effort, as the United States pledged $100 million in relief efforts. The Red Cross ventured an estimate of up to 50,000 deaths, as bodies at the local morgues overflowed into the streets. Collected here are some more scenes from this devastated region - see yesterday's entry as well. (33 photos total)

New pictures on this site. Some of these photos are shocking but website has a filter for worst ones.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Right now in CNN the efforts on rescuing a young girl that is found trapped under the rubble, one of her legs are pinned and they are trying everything the can to get her out without cutting her leg.

So sad you can hear her screaming for help.

Lord have mercy this most be going on all over the city.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It is too distressing for me to watch.
I've been twitting to a few people from Haiti and the situation is awful. Due to no electricity, tires are being burned for light. Problem is, the toxic smell is filling the air...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Just updated on CNN:

All US flights to Haiti cancelled for the moment due to no more room at the airport. 11 aircraft circling the airport right now with no room to land.

That just sucks, didn't anyone take this into consideration?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Infinite you are sweet hart for keeping up in this thread, I have been swallowing tears overytime I see the news.

I am so frustrated that help and aid is there but still no getting to the people.

Only areas that are closes to the Airport are the ones that aid and rescue is been getting too due to the problems with roads and transportation.

Tonight is going to be a long lonely night for those still trap under the rubble, more riots will be braking around the city, is not doubt about it.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Good question, I wonder about that also, I guess the loading of the air planes in the ground is going slower that they thought, I can imagine the tons and tons of supplies lying around with nowhere to go.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so glad to hear the news that your sister-in-law is okay, and send my condolences for the family of her best friend. The whole situation is so heartbreaking. I wish her much strength.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What bothers me the most is the brutal math.

Humans can survive at most for some 96 hours without water, most will perish within 72 hours.

Everyone currently trapped will die if they are not rescued within the next 24 hours, and I don't see that happening. The survivors walking the streets will begin dying of thirst very soon. This will turn overwhelmingly desperate in a very short time, and there's nothing I, or anyone, can do about it.

My heart is breaking for them.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
CNN now showing the littler girl been rescued she is drinking water and eating but still her leg is under the rubble.

She looks fine but is so hard to even think that they are trying do everything they can with what they have.

Most of her family is around in the rubble and feared death.

Incredible.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by apacheman
Just updated on CNN:

All US flights to Haiti cancelled for the moment due to no more room at the airport. 11 aircraft circling the airport right now with no room to land.

That just sucks, didn't anyone take this into consideration?

I'm at the airport using a sat phone modem. There IS room to land, just no place to park. They took it into consideration. What were they going to do, build another freakin' airport overnight. Quit criticizing, get off your butt and get down here and help.

Edit to add, Sorry for the overreaction. Read my post on p 42 to understand.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by 4nsicphd]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I got the sad feeling that the rescue effort will become a recovery effort as the people in need of help and medical aid will become priority over the ones bury under the rubble.

I guess that is something we will have to deal with regardless of how cruel it sounds.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

Theres no fuel for aircraft to refuel befor taking off is the problem. Aircraft are coming from other countries far away need refueling to take off again.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Those who may need it, I found an online site airing CNN TV, thankfully- my kids hog the TV during the day...Link is here:

CNN TV online

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I imagine that is the problem going on with the refueling, no so much from airplanes coming from the US or neighboring Islands Like Puerto Rico but from planes coming from over sea.

I can imagine that PR will be on standby to receive the extra traffic.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

eVERYTHING SCHEDULED IN NOW IS COMING EITHER FROM fLORIDA, San Juan or the Bahamas.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
dulcemp - 8:12 p.m.
BreakingNews: Hundreds of decaying corpses piled on floor create disease threat at central hospital in Port-au-Prince, #Haiti - Radio

FBI have put out a warning on fake donation scams. Check before you part with cash. UN has started microfinance plans for Haitians.

adamlevinecnn SouthCom's Fraser - USS Vinson with 19 choppers and 30 pallets of relief goods to arrive in #Haiti tomorrow half a minute ago from TweetDeck

For the record, I have established twitter links with the US army operations in Haiti. Bare with me though, I'm getting A LOT of information.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
@RAMhaiti

Horrific stories of death.Death is everywhere.Death is all over PauP.doors as stretchers.Camionettes as ambulances.Don't forget JACM

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
SnarkehSharkeh

Gary Tuchman on CNN: The traffic jams partly due to bodies in the streets. #Haiti less than a minute ago from TweetDeck

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
!!!!!!Good news!!!!!!

The rescuers are now moving to the area with equipment to help set the rescue in gear.

From all over the world rescuers are pouring in the streets of Port au Prince to get to the victims still alive in the rubble.

Is in CNN you can see them wearing their orange out fits.

Great news

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

Latest on the news, the airport is now accepting traffic again for aid only.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join