It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Oh terrible event, and oddly i feel that many people had a feeling something was brewing

My thoughts are with all those effected tonight and i pray that there wont be to many people hurt.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Sadly im hearing there may be 1000's dead

Source via the Catholic Relief Services

link   
My heart weeps for those poor people. Really, I can't imagine what that must have felt like and what they are going through right now. I really wish the causalities would be minimal, but I am afraid that that won't be the case.

Its times like these that make me afraid to look at the bottom of my (Firefox) browser and see what the magnitude was.

link   
Might not be great for this particular region of the world. With California having a 6.5 a few days ago, Could this be the beginning of the northern plate shifting?

The Plate locations: farm1.static.flickr.com...

[edit on 12-1-2010 by OpenYourHead]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness
Another 5.1 aftershock just occurred.

Those poor people.

They were extremely poor before this earthquake.
I heard there was an American plane ready for take off that didn't make take off.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Looking at some of the images of Port Au Prince on Google the fact Haiti is a 3rd world country shouldnt be lost upon many. I'd have a good estimate that well over 95% of the homes in the country are simply made of Sandstone bricks with just tiles and mortar as roofs.
Unfortunately liquifaction will also be a issue not only in destabilising buildings around the epicentre but further afield aswell.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Upates

Senior Defense Dept. official:

"massive humanitarian aid shipments by air and sea being prepared" by US military for when ok given

The US fund for UNICEF says it 'Urgently Appeals for Aid to Haiti Following Devastating Earthquake'

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Upates

"massive humanitarian aid shipments by air and sea being prepared" by US military for when ok given

The US fund for UNICEF says it 'Urgently Appeals for Aid to Haiti Following Devastating Earthquake'

This fast? Does that seem a little odd to anyone?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is really really bad, the death toll will be very very high.. and it's dark right now, the power is out and so rescue efforts are going to be.. well.. I don't want to say it, I'll just continue to pray and hope for the best.

btw that picture of the marketplace in Haiti all over twitter is not from today, I'm pretty sure that is older stock image after another disaster not today's earthquake.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
A lot of earthquakes lately around the North American and South American continents. These quite extensive quakes as well, there seems to be some serious geological activity going on at the moment. Haiti should be the last place for something like this to happen.

Especially, with the rampant poverty and corruption within the government. How can aid agencies ensure that the resources reach those that need it? Hopefully, they get what they need to get some semblance of normalcy restored. I hope the the casualty figures are low.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
pictures coming out of twitter.

twitpic.com...

Also if you have family there a radio presenter in the area will do his best to contact any loved ones,

www.facebook.com...#

[edit on 12-1-2010 by asala]

[edit on 12-1-2010 by asala]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thanks Asala

just got those too, they seem to be legitimate and not stock imagery

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I personally am sending positive vibes filled with peace love & light to those suffering from this horrendous disaster.

I have visited Haiti a few years back, one of the nicest parts (this was while war was going on just across the other side of the island) and it was completely made of very low quality materials [the buildings]. Not to mention the people their had very little, actually none that I saw, medical stations, although I'm sure there are some. I feel horrible
These people try so hard to get by using crafts they sell to tourists which usually sell for very low prices since haggling is very easy to do with them... a very poor nation indeed and they can definitely not afford this.

All those dead and wounded that will ultimately end up dying need to be buried ASAP though before disease sets in and spreads. This could really turn out much worse than it already is.

I'm not a prayer type person (not religious obviously) but I'm a spiritualist, so I will keep sending positive vibes their way!

[edit on 12-1-2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Video on Youtube with first images:

www.youtube.com...

Edit for changing the link.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by pterra]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
That looks more like a hurricane than an earthquake on that youtube vid.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenYourHead

I think our reaction time is too slow.

I wish I could have been in position to help.

But seriously we need better preparation for a catastrophe.

We humans live like theres no tomorrow, seriously.

We just are not ready for this type of event, we need better preparations.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
There's a photo on CNN iReport from the earthquake.

I believe that this one is real. Unfortunately.

DISCRETION ADVISED!

www.ireport.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What a horrible thing to happen to such a poor place.
I do hope its not HAARP getting rid of "useless eaters"

I hope and pray for mercy on those people.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Canslli

That poor girl. May she rest well.

Looks like it was taken awhile ago during daylight. No doubt CNN will probably take this very graphic photo down soon.

Things are WAY worse now.

I just cannot fathom the suffering they are going through right this very minute.

I do not mean to sound weird or anything. But I would have rather the quake hit my town. We would have been a bit better off and been able to react with medical and rescue services far faster.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenYourHead

Originally posted by asala
Upates

Since Katrina things changed.

Meanwhile, that map
farm1.static.flickr.com...
The plate shift seems weird. There was another big quake off California within the last 5 days I think on the same plate. But I'm not familiar with plate change, what could this mean?
The recent freeze around the same time too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join