It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
this looks like there is going to be more earthquakes across the world in the next few hours maybe volcanic eruptions too by the looks, omg

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by sporkmonster

No worries, it's very hard online sometimes to decipher the meaning of textual statements and other peoples' intentions. To keep this short and not stray away from the thread, it's all good!

I agree again. The lack of visual and audible clues as to what one has said, can greatly change the intended meaning of someones post and can sometimes make them appear to be wholly on the other side of their argument, in the minds of dogmatic opposition.

That's not to say that I am not an opinionated jerk. Which I can be often. Just ask my real life friends.... hahaha In my personal life, I seem to be good at alienating my friends. That's a whole 'nother story though.

I just try to look past that and put myself in the shoes and opinion of my opposition to understand where they are coming from.

Also, I like to argue/debate things. Even if i agree with someone, I will often take the diametrically opposed view just so I can argue. I try question in such a way as to try to determine what the opposing view would be, so as I can understand where they are coming from in order to facilitate my quest for more knowledge.

I dunno, I'm just a drunk that's accused of being intelligent.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I find it AWFULLY suspicious that CA has been able to avoid a major earthquake in the last 20 years. They've hit just about everywhere except here. I guess we are lucky.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Aftershocks like this unfortunately *are* normal. (I know "normal" sounds weird in connecting with a terrible event like this.)

If you look at the devastating Szechuan earthquake of a few years back, Kobe an similar tragedies, many aftershocks struck there as well, compounding the problem for buildings on the verge of collapse.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
am i right in thinking the next one will be china/japan way? it seems to be going by order hisz.rsoe.hu...

this is worrying there is going to be some big changes happening here

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So are the French and rest of the world going to chip and start funneling money and aid to Haiti or is the world going to look to America as usual? We are stretched thin as it is.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
text "Yele" to 501501 and donate $5 to Wyclef Jean's organization to help Haiti recover.

I heard people in haiti can only make calls out of the country, and you can't call in to haiti from outside the country. People are just outside in the streets in pitch dark with no where to go.

I heard the state of california, usa are sending alot of their firefighters right now to haiti, because they have special earthquake disaster training.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Haitian capital largely destroyed in quake
www.msnbc.msn.com...

I don't think most people realize what has happened.

We are dealing with a humanitarian disaster on an apocalyptic scale.
A city with a population of up to 3 million people has been flattened. A nation's seat of government has been destroyed. There are no emergency services or recovery operations. Even UN operations there have ground to a halt.

This has the potential to be a much greater disaster than even the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

I highly encourage people to donate and pray to aid the people of Port au Prince.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
So are the French and rest of the world going to chip and start funneling money and aid to Haiti or is the world going to look to America as usual? We are stretched thin as it is.

I have heard on local news that Australia will send whatever aid is needed, we always help when we can.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Solar flux at 93 suddenly... NO COINCIDENCE. Radio scatter was good today and will be incredible tomorrow.

I'm telling you guys there's a direct relationship with solar activity here. DIRECT!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm sure Cuba will assist with medical as well. There's lots of nations that help out with stuff like this that we never hear about.

It's heartbreaking to me - I saw video of all the people that have broken bones and bad injuries - they are just laying in the street dirty. I know the pain has to be horrid with no medicine to help.

Also I noticed a lot of fires in the videos I saw. It's just horrid.
I just can't be cheerful tonight.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Of course there is. Planet Earth is still a VERY mysterious entity and we have yet to understand how she truly operates. We as human beings are extremely arrogant in much of our scientific dogma.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
i was right another one in greece just 2.7 all the plates are going crazy

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
Solar flux at 93 suddenly... NO COINCIDENCE. Radio scatter was good today and will be incredible tomorrow.

I'm telling you guys there's a direct relationship with solar activity here. DIRECT!

Please provide some direct proof.

I find it very hard to believe that solar storms would affect the tectonic plates. To imply that energy from the sun caused the movement of giant solid plates of rock on the earth, will need a substantial amount of evidence to corroborate said accusations. Otherwise it is just hyperbole and speculation.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by starshiner

2.7 really isnt anything to be honest, and greece gets eq's fairly often. Not meaning to cause offence, but lets try to keep it about Haiti in this thread, any other Eq's can go in 'earth quakes 2010' thread

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher
Aftershocks like this unfortunately *are* normal. (I know "normal" sounds weird in connecting with a terrible event like this.)

If you look at the devastating Szechuan earthquake of a few years back, Kobe an similar tragedies, many aftershocks struck there as well, compounding the problem for buildings on the verge of collapse.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for the info quakewatcher. It's hard for me or anyone else to fathom this as "normal" tho another poster did put it well when they said "normal for the earth" just not so for us. I read that article and wow!! 246 4.0+ aftershocks? are they sure?? I want to see this USGS report (not that I'm doubting the report) There is no way that is *normal*! How may times has this kinda thing been reported? It's odd that this one in the article happend in just 2008. Quite recently. Interesting, yet somewhat troubling. Thanks again.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
im applying by prediction that is all, if somethings coming we need to know as these are sufferings from the haiti tectonic shift

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by quakewatcher

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for the info starshiner. It's hard for me or anyone else to fathom this as "normal" tho another poster did put it well when they said "normal for the earth" just not so for us. I read that article and wow!! 246 4.0+ aftershocks? are they sure?? I want to see this USGS report (not that I'm doubting the report) There is no way that is *normal*! How may times has this kinda thing been reported? It's odd that this just one in the article happend in 2008. Quite recently. Interesting, yet somewhat troubling. Thanks again.

See for yourself here at earthquake.usgs.gov...

I am assuming that you meant 24 and not 246. If I am incorrect, I will remove that post.

ETA: I was corrected in a following post. Disregard the above statement.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by sporkmonster]

[edit on 13-1-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Clinton's husband, former U.S. President Bill Clinton, who is the U.N. special envoy for Haiti, also pledged assistance. The Inter-American Development Bank said it would provide $200,000 in immediate emergency aid.

What a joke. Bill Clinton could tap into his own private wealth and come up with AT LEAST a couple million. Hell why doesn't Wyclef John get his filthy rich Hollywood celebs and other entertainers to chip in...they could easily come up with millions of dollars. No instead they are asking for measly $5-10 donations.
Why dont' some of these banks that have been bailed out pony up some cash for Haiti? It will be interesting to see who man's up and puts up some money.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Situation Update from the American Red Cross:

newsroom.redcross.org...

(Tried to embed the video but I can't figure it out)

Ways to give right now:

text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti

Help Haiti Earthquake Relief http://(link tracking not allowed)/4qnutl Donate $5 by texting YELE to 501501 right now

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join