It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was raped twice in Iraq – US veteran speaks out

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
I'm a veteran, and when my niece came of age and wanted to join the military, I told her the unvarnished truth - that there would be a very high probability she would be raped while in the service.

Oh dear God.........

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You are exactly 100% correct.

How?

They won't admit its a problem.

If it is that rampant , within their own troops.

What do you think happens when they "Hit a Village"

Lot of rivers surrounding the Military , They are all called De-Nile

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

No, no, no. Sorry guys, but calling it "status quo" means it's accepted and to be expected. Women do not have to accept this as "the way it is" it's wrong. It's the status quo that needs to be changed, not that women need to understand the environment and accept it.

It should be accepted and expected.......any woman who wants to join a barbaric testosterone driven death machine......shouldn't expect to have to many rights......no sympathy from me...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

That is a really narrow minded thing to say. So, everyone in the service acts this way? A barbaric death machine, c'mon, you just make these threads, interject shrill little comments, and then feel good about yourself. I proudly served in the Army, and don't consider myself barbaric in the least. Rape is a horrible thing, but not at all inclusive of only US service members, nor is it strictly a male, nor American thing. I suppose one could post about all of the horrible rapes commited by a "certain" group of people in another part of the world to rebut this one. But, alas that would be childish, and yet another poor attempt at another star and flag fest. I guess, it makes you feel good to stir up this kinda nonsense so have at it.....

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I am sorry. In my mind it seems a mentality has been released .. mine wasa not physical but spiritual what they did??? And I was lucky enough to stand up to a group of guys who where going to rape a girl and protected her only to see our CIA let that guy be a Olympic rider and me? They leave me to die of MRSA. So I am so sorry that there are not more guys like me to protect nice girls like you !

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall

No, no, no. Sorry guys, but calling it "status quo" means it's accepted and to be expected. Women do not have to accept this as "the way it is" it's wrong. It's the status quo that needs to be changed, not that women need to understand the environment and accept it.

It should be accepted and expected.......any woman who wants to join a barbaric testosterone driven death machine......shouldn't expect to have to many rights......no sympathy from me...

Again, you're agenda is showing and trying to bait me doesn't change what it is...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Anybody who rapes is a loser and should go to jail for a very long time.
Second line: woman do not belong in the army.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I seriously hope this isn't your actual view...I have a feeling your baiting an argument so I'll say no more.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Rape and the Military.... where to begin. First of all, raping isn't only targeted at military women. More rapes are done to those we are supposed to be helping. I bet 99% of those never see sunlight.

Someone earlier in this thread said "the same problem is on college campus"... ok... I agree sort of.

1. the median age of an enlisted man serving in a forward area is 25. College it's 20. Bottom line, you are dealing with a lot of immarture people with some independence far away from home.

2. In both situations, typically these things aren't reported.

I think it's total horse-$hit that no one reports these things. You have to speak up. Nothing can be done if no one speaks up.

As for the people doing these things... I am suprised more of you haven't been shot in the head.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

If you truely feel that women should expect and accept this, it speaks volumes. This was a thread started purely out of malice. If you think this is o.k. for women, why post about it? Surely if it's o.k. with you this shouldn't be thread worthy.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This is a first and last warning for civility regarding this topic. I would like to remind everyone here that everyone has differing opinions and disagreement will occur - especially on very contentious topics/expressions.

Please remain on topic and avoid posting to the poster. Any further proliferation of Off Topic posts will result in a thread closure.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Please give me the links to the new study by the US Department of Defense, and the Veterans for Peace statistics, claiming 75% of raped women in the military fail to report it.

I think it would better help the members understand what the research contained.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

There is no link, shes the one who goes around posting links from Atzlan, showing "rape" pictures claiming the to be the gospel.... She has no proof just her distorted weblinks

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I was in the military for a time. I personally have never heard of any of the female soldiers being raped. I do not think that it doesn't happen though. The thing is, everyone is talking about how they feel so isolated and cannot go through the chain of command. That is bull crap.

Everyone in the service knows that if they go to the chaplain with anything, things get moving quickly. Every unit and battalion had there own chaplain. They are the time out guys and everyone knows it. Be it harassment to violence, everyone knows that if the chaplain is brought in on it, something will happen.

You don't need a special appointment either. You can request to see the chaplain in the middle of the day and he would be there, or you would have to be allowed to go there. It kinda kept everyone in line.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
[quote
EDIT TO ADD: Semper Fi....

[edit on 12-1-2010 by rainfall]

RESPONSE TO RAINFALL

First of all the victim of these assaults was in the Army. The perpetrator was also Army, NOT marines.
While I can appreciate your anti-war views don't forget that those Marines you're making fun of have fought in every war the US has been involved in, including the Revolutionary war. These people (as well as Army) have fought and died to give you the freedoms you enjoy today; including the right to ridicule them.
I am against the wars we are currently involved in but do try to remember that the vast majority of our military personnel are law-abiding, moral people. Many joined thinking that the war on terror is real and that their service would help protect our country. That takes guts. They have put their very lives on the line to protect you and me.
It was an individual that perpetrated these crimes and your sweeping generalizations are really inapropriate. The points you are trying to make will tend to be ignored when you make these kinds of attacks.
Sympathy towards human beings will get your ideas more attention than ridicule.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Please give me the links to the new study by the US Department of Defense, and the Veterans for Peace statistics, claiming 75% of raped women in the military fail to report it.

I think it would better help the members understand what the research contained.

Thanks.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Google is your friend......

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
From your source:

“This does not mean sexual assaults have gone up,” she said. “This means that reports have gone up, which we see as very positive. The increase of reports means the department’s policy of getting victims to come forward is making a difference.”

The department’s multipronged approach to tackling the subject acknowledges that not all incidents are preventable. Another component of the policy is raising awareness that victims have a strong support network should they seek help.

“It is my hope today that when [servicemembers] see this report or press conference, that they will be encouraged and come forward to report sexual assault and receive care,” Whitley said. “Sexual assault harms our people and erodes our mission readiness. The department remains committed to aggressively pursuing increased reporting of sexual assault, providing first-class care and preventing this crime before it occurs.”

That's a start...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
1 IN 3 WOMEN !!!! holy crap !!! that number blows me the hell away.

What kind's of douchebag's are we allowing into our military ??? These are probably the same kinds of guys who get out after serving 4 years and become a Cop or a Corrections Officer.

Scum of the earth, I hope they hit a IED and get their Wang's blown off.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I have no sympathy for any rapists. They should all be castrated for their actions IMO.

Although I show no love to the armed forces I feel a certain compassion for this women, she has shown a tremendous amount of bravery by coming forward and speaking up.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
A female soldier would be apprehensive coming forward about rape. She would probably ruin her military career. All you ex military folks know -- not only are there a bunch of really young guys but extreme amounts of alcohol. Not that drinking is excuse, but I think it contributes to irrational behavior.

Also many female soldiers are.. aahheemm.. pretty sexually active, therefore giving inexperienced boys wrong idea about all women.

Female soldiers definitely have to be careful of situations they get in. I am not taking up for the guys -- but goin to barracks with bunch of men and bunch beer is prob not good idea.

There is also alot of rape with men soldiers, it's just not talked about in news. It is talked about in soldiers weekly briefs though. Very common that guys are slipped drugs in drinks and sodomized. Ugly world we live in.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join