It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I wasn't listening too carefully to what they were calling the mineral but now that you mention it, that IS a pretty lame name for a power source. Its UNATAINABLE... its UNATAINIUM!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I, for one, think the story line is phenomenal. I don't specifically wish I lived on Pandora, but instead I wish that our world was so united and spiritual like it is on Pandora. There was just so many different aspects of the entire movie that gave me goose bumps.

Not to forget the whole idea of aliens existing....I would feel completely and utterly changed if we found real proof of the existence of aliens. I get goose bumps just thinking about it...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There is a LOT of drama about this. If you like movies, chances are good, you'll like Avatar. If you have to fight your conscience to get out and see a movie, then you probably won't.

It's a fantastic film and I found it quite entertaining. But I'm easily entertained...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
thats why i dont watch too many fiction movies like this, i'd rather read a good book about the nwo.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I think it has something to do with the way they portrayed human greed in the movie. For those who were not "aware" before the movie, I think they came to realization during the movie and it had a big inpact on them.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this makes me realize how absolutely pathetic some people are. Our own planet is a gorgeous place if people just stop and smell the roses sometimes. People feeling suicidal about their own lives need to go live in Darfur for a week and see how freaking awesome their regular lives actually are.

I have not seen the movie, nor do I really want to, doesn't seem my style, so I wont comment on Pandora, but I figure if you've got the capability to even go see the movie, you're life is better than a lot of other people's already.

If people hate their busy lives so much, change it. It sounds harder than it actually is.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I admit.
I was so into the film that I didn't want it to end.
It felt so real. Best film I have seen in years.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Oh brother...
People wanting to kill themselves over the movie Avatar? Now I've heard everything...

There should now be a disclaimer on movies that pull in all the Virtual World/Second Lifers out there that go out to see these movies now?

That tells you just how wrapped up people are in their virtual worlds...
Computer worlds could be dangerous for certain people, i see problems in the future when your computer could display a virtual world at this magnitude of complexity...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's a good sign. It might mean that people hearts are opening and they're seeing the current situation ridiculous and intolerable. Humanity is rising, consciousness is rising and Avatar is a catalyst along the way. Hopefully, this is one of many new futures for the film industry.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I think cnn got trolled. Every news agency who posted it did.

And I have a feeling that 4chan is involved.

That's what the guess is around here anyways - amongst the youths.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Just a thought; Does anyone else remember the part of Fahrenheit 451 where, in a completely desensitized and inhuman future, the main character begins to read poetry from a book and his wife's friend begins to cry?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Seriously? *Head desk*
I should contribute something right? Umm... The collective IQ of this planet has made me to dumb to post anything of worth, or maybe its just the fact that I am dumbstruck over the fact that people would get suicidal over a movie. I am sure someone posted something worth while. Sorry
No, I didn't read through the whole thread BTW.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It is probably a 'jolt' factor . Americans are so used to living in a world of lies, greed and corruption , that this sudden immersion in a world devoid of all that wakes up some inner latent yearning for an alternative they have been suppressing all their lives .

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That's pretty telling to what the state of our mental health is nowdays.

Will i get bashed if i say i havent even seen Avatar yet?!?!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
This is actually a fascinating story IMHO, and pretty telling (if actually true) of what many see that our world has become, and what many wish were different.

Personally, I found this film to be one of the most incredible, epic things I have ever seen.

But people becoming suicidal after viewing it? I wonder how much of this story is accurate, and how much of it is being 'spun' due to the popularity that this alien-themed film, which portrays a race of beings in a positive manner, and US in a negative one?

I certainly would not mind living in such a world with such beings, and I get the sense that this film is resonating on some sort of level with our civilization like that, as it may go on to be the highest grossing epic of all time. It is impacting people quite strongly and on a massive scale.

To me, this signals that the world at large, the people, (not the few up in positions of power dictating to the rest of us) WANT such a way of living, like our ancestors once lived---In peace and harmony with each other and their planet.

I wonder if a news story such as this is sort of done as a 'smear piece' of sorts to keep the positivity (and possibility)that people are taking away from this monumental event?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-1-2010 by DimensionalDetective]

The director Cameron had the film in development since 1994 he wrote a 80 page scriptment. Filming was supposed to start after Titanic and be released in 1999, but he said that technology needed to catch up with his vision. I agree with him, the look of the film and the alien world was so real it was breathtaking. I think people are in the blues because it showed a world and a future that we haven't reached yet. Alien planets being found and such. The technology to get there etc. etc.. People want the future and the future is to explore OUT THERE. It may be pauly anna, but we are going to have to leave the nest of our planet and push science to help us explore for new worlds to colonize. People thought they where in a real world period. Once they got out of it and saw they where in a moive theater, they got the blues. People want to believe in something bigger and better than them, something to strive for. And the big reason people like stuff like this or look beyond to other places and planets, is because they feel free.

The feel free from the yoke of being born into whatever society that they are from and having to conform. When they see movies like this, just like the internet they feel like they can be anybody including the people in the film.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think it's something to do with the nature of american minds , how they have been taught to believe everything is so perfect for them, yet they know something isn't quite right . That niggling feeling coming to fruition , so to speak. Like a suppressed people being told all their lives how wonderful it is to live in what is a wretched dystopia in reality.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Just food for thought, lots of critics here on peoples weak mindeness, if subliminal messages are a possibility, targeting and affecting certain people with a certain........ how to put it, "view point to life" or religion for that matter, could it be that these people experiencing suicidal thoughts, thinking that only connecting the feeling to what they have seen on the big screen and not something subliminally sinister as a test?
Just a thought

O.K O.K I'm outta here

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I know what some in the article are feeling. After I watched the movie the first time I stepped out of the theatre onto a cold-grey-dirty parking lot and my first thought was "This place sucks". Earth has many wonderous places but its very easy to see the havoc Humans are wrecking in their unchecked advancement across the Earth.

I hear ya brother.

The books Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee and Black Elk Speaks sprung to mind as i watched Avatar.

And i did feel a sadness for the vanishing tribal cultures around the world as they get drawn into the "third mall from the sun".

But it did make me feel positive in the sense that there is beauty all around us if we open our eyes to it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm going to sound like an absolute a-hole here...but I really couldn't care less...

It's obvious to me what's going on here...the bulk of the population are weak minded and live mundane and robotic lifestyles doing what everyone else does day in day out...doing what they "should do"...they're slaves...they can't handle seeing the beauty and freedom of such a world in contrast to this world...maybe it helped slap them awake...but their weak and robotic mind couldn't handle the sudden awakening...the realization of the fact they have been wasting their lives away...watching the Earth get destroyed as they sit back thinking nothing at all is wrong...

This is what we get for letting TBTB turn the Earth into a s#!t hole...for not having the courage and passion to stand together for what we believe in...for letting them enslave us...

[edit on 12/1/10 by CHA0S]

[edit on 12/1/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This doesn't quite relate to the topic but many of you may be interested in this news.

Looks like there will be an Avatar 2. Surprise? Not really. Will it be as good? Doubt it, but we will see!

screenrant.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join