It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
OK, let me get this straight. People are becoming suicidal over a movie. So their reality sucks that badly. Or maybe there are evil subliminal messages in the film itself. Wow, a whole new conspiracy theory. You heard it here first.

Soon they can join these guys,

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Avatar was an incredible movie. While watching the movie I completely and Utterly forgot myself. At the end i didnt want to leave, feeling somewhat disconnected with myself. But suicide is not a good way to cope with feeling useless! In fact it destroys the whole meaning of the movie!

Truthfully, I would not like to visit Pandora, because my presence there would disturb the whole place. If Pandora does exist, I hope to hell we never find it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
OOpsy part two,

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelee
reply to post by troubleshooter

WOW!!

I seriously wonder if anyone has looked into the subliminal question.

I was taliking with a couple of friends who have both had past experience with subliminal self-help tapes...
...where a sub-auditary message is placed below music, whale song or the sound of the ocean...
...where a message is picked up by the subconscious.

Both said they experienced sensations during the movie that were similar to those they used to have with this.

Anyone else have this experience?
Anyone with technology that can investigate it?

It sure would go a long toward explaining the phenomena in the OP of this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
When I left the movie I did find disappointment in where we are right now as a species. More than anything was the contact with other people and their arrogance mixed with ignorance. You talk to somebody you know, and not only do they not care about the possibilities that exist out there beyond this world, they don't even care about our own world.

Now anyone who knows me knows I am definitely not an environmental nut. I'm not walking around telling people to save the planet or any ridiculousness of that sort. But I walked out of that movie theater knowing that regardless of who I encountered, nobody was going to cherish life the way life was cherished in that movie.

Not just their own life, but the life of everything around them. Understanding the value of all things living. I think that is peoples true connection to this movie. The environment is lush, but so are many places on earth. The story is certainly not something people wish to be a part of, being attacked by technologically advanced civilizations. The connection is the way of life, but in what sense? The value of life.

What is the main reason a person becomes depressed? A feeling of not being cared about. Whether it be from parents, or a wife, a friend, or as a whole, when people feel like nobody cares about them, they feel depression. Now when you look at how highly regarded life is in that movie, ALL LIFE, not just certain individuals, and then you look at how WE regard life, the value of people, there is no comparison.

We value certain individuals much more than others, certain species more than others, on made up benchmarks we have created to determine whether or not somebody should be considered valuable. In our society, few people are regarded as important or valuable, in fact it is quite the opposite. Most people live ordinary lives that our society has belittled and downplayed to the point where most people do not feel as though they have value.

It may just be my opinion, but I think people long for the desire to feel valued. To feel as though they are part of something balanced. Notice that every life was valued. Also notice that once they had "earned their place among the people" they had the RIGHT TO BE HEARD. How many of us truly feel we are heard in society today? People want to feel important enough to be listened to, something else we neglect in our world today.

Our relationship with the world today is centered around ourselves and those deemed most important. Their(Navi) relationship with the world was centered around everything around them, and all things were considered important.

But you all were right about one thing, the fact they were depressed does have deeper roots to dissatisfaction with the lives they are leading. The lives they are leading are regarded with little to no value, they look around and see the disregard for all life except that which is deemed valuable enough to recognize, and they have come to realize that enough though they wake up everyday to go to work, give everything they have, struggle with their own problems, that they no longer have a place among the people. Their voices fall upon deaf ears, society disregarding their opinions as unimportant because they are seen as to have little value.

In every aspect, we have ceased to care about those around us, and the life which exists in this world. Anyone who took more than 2 seconds to think about it after having watched that movie would realize that immediately.

What I do know is since having watched the movie, I look up at the night sky more and more. Not for Pandora, but it'll make you wonder, what really IS up there?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Interesting. I would sum it up to the power of Hollywood to write and create hypnotizing movies with new technologies.

When I say the movies are hypnotizing, I really mean it. If people are walking out of a movie with profound altered states, that is akin to being hypnotized. The mind for over two hours is engulfed into a 3D world (for IMAX) that people escape into that simply cannot compare to the sick world so many of us live in. If your life is great, I'm a tad jealous because much of mine hasn't been and neither has it been for lots of people.

You must understand that the brain, viewing this is such the reality that it looks and sounds, really cannot tell the difference - much like your brain can't tell the difference and get aroused if you fantasize about having sex with someone.

I've studied NLP and have felt the power of vivid visualizations. So much I became delusional and figured I could do things that were nearly impossible because I was convinced of an NLP principle "If one person can learn to do something, anyone can learn to do it."

That really sounds great and is useful to those who want to achieve great things, but I wanted to win a million dollars in a talent competition....and I'm introverted and had no formal training at the time.

I tell you, the entertainments that are shelled out today are very powerful. You notice how songs will get "stuck in your head" after two or so listens, at least the ones I listen to, for me. I'm really so affected by this that I avoid listening to the radio some times. It's like I'm getting high off of the music.

Some people are very skilled at getting you to fork over money. That's one obvious point.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Quite a moving post my friend. I care about you and everyone/thing else.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Well I didn't have any depression after seeing Avatar. But I am really hoping that they make a MMORPG based on it like WOW, SWG. I'll be a little bummed if they don't. I saw the Avatar game out now and you're just a mercenary blowing stuff up. It would be alot more fun to be able to pick your species, customize your character and grind away some xp, picking up a six legged horse and your own dragon bird on your way to becoming a tribe member.
I can see where some people would be a little bummed after the movie though. Our world looks alot more gray compared to the jaw dropping spectacle that James Cameron put together. Especially if you live in the city. Concrete gray everywhere. I also can understand how some people would long for that tribal or communal type of society where they would feel a stronger connection to the people and environment around them, instead of the isolation that alot of folks experience as they go about the day to day in said concrete jungle.
Maybe the blues and depression is coming from people who for the first time are opening their eyes and looking at themselves and waking up to the reality of their own lives and the world around them.
It seems as though for some, the rebound effect of seeing this movie is contemplation, and self evaluation.
May not be such a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
After seeing the movie, i dreamt all plants on earth lit up at night like on Pandora (which is freakin beautiful). When i woke up i just thought "Aw, too bad."

The way we live now is hardly intriguing when it comes to sight.
All homes, buildings, streets... they are all neutral colors... for the most part.

Think: When was the last time you got amazed in the world you live in? I live in California, and unless i take a small drive to the beach, i am not fascinated by anything around me.

I think many people yearn to be around nature. It actually CAN be quite beautiful. Comparing the beautiful nature on Pandora to our cities on earth.. it can be depressing.

Granted, i'm sure people living around nature might disagree with me.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Why Pandorum May Be A Real Planet

Now, let me preface this by saying the following...

I heard somewhere that James Cameron had dreamt of Pandorum for years, but after searching around some (although not extensively) I could not find an internet quote of this, so if any of you can, please let me know at [email protected] as it would greatly fit into my theory. As many of you know, dreams themselves often occur on an astral plane, a place where many advanced spiritual thinkers of our civilization concur that we actually travel to in dream state.

Now, I have been reading Lisette Larkins book "Talking to Extraterrestrials", I know but stick with me. Any open and receptive consciousness that spends even 10 minutes with this book would feel something resonate in their heart and mind akin to truth. These dialogues most certainly seem beyond the scope of the normal human parlance, and she is a VERY respected author in the UFO community. I have also had certain experiences that would verify her accuracy, but this isn’t about me, I'm no one. So, heres the juice. On page 67 in the chapter entitled Count the Stars, Count the Ships the following text occurs.

"As you see signs of prejudice in your children, talk to them. Remind them that there are others who are different on this planet, that it is important to get beyond that type of thinking so that they might get ready to embrace other children who are off your planet and who may be blue with green stripes and who may have a tail, and who may have mastered telekinesis. Help them explode open their imaginations. Do this with your children and you will prepare them to know us. Surely you can imagine how beneficial this would be." pg. 67

Now, admittedly, this is not the most convincing selection of the text I could post to convince of the ET presence behind her channelings, or communications, I don’t think she likes the channel word. These are a certain colonies of Greys she says she is contacting here. This book was published in 2002.

Now, should we accept the veracity of her alleged sources, then we must also accept that it is most likely that these beings would choose an example of other life forms such as the above description from the infinite realities existing and manifest throughout this dynamic and ever-evolving universe, a cosmos of hyper-diversity, coral reefs of constellations. Shouldn’t we? What need would they have for hyperbole or conjecture when there are probably thousands of real examples to choose from? And if you know anything about the Greys, you would know that this is the exact tongue in cheek behavior they demonstrate, all in good humor, most of the time
. So there's my schpeel.

I assure you that (and many Barnes and Noble and Borders carry her books) if you spend just 10 minutes with this book, those of you familiar with the litany of obvious UFO evidence out there will become convinced that there is a serious likelihood of this being truly of ET source. Amazon.com Larkins and see the reviews, she is respected. For those of you uninitiated unto the obviousness of the Grey’s presence. Please take a moment and watch this video.
www.youtube.com... UFO Lands on Playground: 62 Witnesses, All Children
my name is Austin Proffitt, I’m 23, my e-mail is [email protected] If you go through the avenues of information I have presented here on your own, and find what I am saying to be immanently plausible, then let us spread this post far and wide. Although, it may be best to keep it from those who CNN reported were experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts at not being able to be Pandorian. Or maybe this is the cure? www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I finally managed to get out to see Avatar in 3D last night (not many 3D cinemas where I live) and have to say that I was completely blown away and can totally understand how someone could be emotionally affected by it.

Not only is it a very thought provoking, exciting and emotional movie, but it is visually awe inspiring, with the 3D effect being used in a way to draw you into the screen, making you feel like you are actually there, rather than the usual way they just make stuff fly at you.

I had already seen half of it from a torrent (naughty me), but stopped half way through when I realised I'd be doing myself a great injustice by not seeing it the way it was intended. I think I definitely made the right decision.

10/10, best movie I've seen since The Dark Knight.

[Edit to add]
When I left the cinema, I walked from the beautiful world of Pandora with all it's colours and night time flourescense, out into a dull, empty, dark, snow covered car park with the odd plastic bag blowing past like tumbleweed. Now that WAS depressing...

[edit on 13-1-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'm sorry, my upper post should Read Pandora, not Pandorum.... Will the admin delete it and leave this one please?

Why Pandora May Be A Real Planet (Avatar)

Now, let me preface this by saying the following...

I heard somewhere that James Cameron had dreamt of Pandora for years, but after searching around some (although not extensively) I could not find an internet quote of this, so if any of you can, please let me know at [email protected] as it would greatly fit into my theory. As many of you know, dreams themselves often occur on an astral plane, a place where many advanced spiritual thinkers of our civilization concur that we actually travel to in dream state.

Now, I have been reading Lisette Larkins book "Talking to Extraterrestrials", I know but stick with me. Any open and receptive consciousness that spends even 10 minutes with this book would feel something resonate in their heart and mind akin to truth. These dialogues most certainly seem beyond the scope of the normal human parlance, and she is a VERY respected author in the UFO community. I have also had certain experiences that would verify her accuracy, but this isn’t about me, I'm no one. So, heres the juice. On page 67 in the chapter entitled Count the Stars, Count the Ships the following text occurs.

"As you see signs of prejudice in your children, talk to them. Remind them that there are others who are different on this planet, that it is important to get beyond that type of thinking so that they might get ready to embrace other children who are off your planet and who may be blue with green stripes and who may have a tail, and who may have mastered telekinesis. Help them explode open their imaginations. Do this with your children and you will prepare them to know us. Surely you can imagine how beneficial this would be." pg. 67

Now, admittedly, this is not the most convincing selection of the text I could post to convince of the ET presence behind her channelings, or communications, I don’t think she likes the channel word. These are a certain colonies of Greys she says she is contacting here. This book was published in 2002. Now, should we accept the veracity of her alleged sources, then we must also accept that it is most likely that these beings would choose an example of other life forms such as the above description from the infinite realities existing and manifest throughout this dynamic and ever-evolving universe, a cosmos of hyper-diversity, coral reefs of constellations. Shouldn’t we? What need would they have for hyperbole or conjecture when there are probably thousands of real examples to choose from? And if you know anything about the Greys, you would know that this is the exact tongue in cheek behavior they demonstrate, all in good humor, most of the time
. So there's my schpeel. I assure you that (and many Barnes and Noble and Borders carry her books) if you spend just 10 minutes with this book, those of you familiar with the litany of obvious UFO evidence out there will become convinced that there is a serious likelihood of this being truly of ET source. Amazon.com Larkins and see the reviews, she is respected. For those of you uninitiated unto the obviousness of the Grey’s presence. Please take a moment and watch this video.
www.youtube.com... UFO Lands on Playground: 62 Witnesses, All Children
my name is Austin Proffitt, I’m 23, my e-mail is [email protected] If you go through the avenues of information I have presented here on your own, and find what I am saying to be immanently plausible, then let us spread this post far and wide. Although, it may be best to keep it from those who CNN reported were experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts at not being able to be Pandorian. Or maybe this is the cure? www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This is really important though. Entertainment is becoming so interactive and realistic that it won't take long until we're all hooked up to Matrix fantasy machines enjoying video games and living our lives within a virtual reality. Or are we already in a virtual reality

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

That's it. This is scary thought - all those depressed people are potential Matrix customers.

I think, that Cameron did it intentionally and it is disturbing to me how easy it is to manipulate the mind of a person.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I am truly sorry to keep taking up space here... but will someone please repost my thread directly above this one on Why Pandora May Be A Real Planet as a new and stand alone thread on this board? I am a new user and cannot post new threads. thanks so much.

p.s. The gentleman who posted pics of lagoons and rainforests is right, we have unparalleled beauty here... once upon a time. We should all be depressed at the state of what was freely given to us. But we shouldnt linger there, for not much proactivity can occur when inundated with lethargy and self-reproach.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I hardly ever write here, but when I read your post in this thread I thought to myself "thank you, you have said what I was thinking".

Throughout the movie I was thinking to myself that I was essentially watching the practice of true, heartfelt Witchcraft. My 'stuff'. It was refreshing and wonderful to see.

I saw the film last night, after I had read this thread and had become intrigued at the response some people have had.

As soon as it became obvious within 'Avatar' that there was a societal connectivity to the land based on each individuals relationship and connection with her, (in reverse of what most of 'us' have become these days, ie: we are generally self>nature instead of nature>self), it struck me that some of these rudely awakened unhappy people might find some solace or even practical use in reading a basic (but good) book about the craft.

You made a very good point, well said!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

Did you mean to post this here? You are the only one talking about race. WTF?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
. . .

I really understand how some of the people have been feeling about this topic.
After i had seen Avatar for the first time, there was this horrid anticlimax, an emptyness inside me, i felt really upset and down. i just lost interest in everything in my life. I walked out of the theater and burst into tears. I understand what people are saying when they want to give up everything and live on pandora, as a Na'vi. I would do the same thing without a hesitation.

"Well I went into the movie yesterday thinking I was just going to see a sci-fi romp. Little did I know it would change my life forever. I sat in the theater after it was over just stunned, and then I began to cry. I was ripped apart with feelings I had never had before, hate for myself and my species, hate for my capitalistic and worthless society, and a feeling of such despair that I would never be able to know the Na’vi or their superior culture and way of life."

Monolith, I think that for most people (certainly for me anyway), Avatar blues is really not an obsession. I've had obsession before, I know what it's like, and this really isn't one. I really never thought I would have anything like this, but now, I just want Pandora. I'm not obsessed with Avatar itself.

These are some really strong words by people.

These descriptions have a lot in common with how I felt after a "near death experience."

Having to come back to this world was like standing on the most beautiful rainbow, and being told I had to jump down into a sewer.

Some of these people will feel the effects forever, which is not a bad thing. A yearning for something more has made me do all I can to make this world a little more like the heaven I visited. They will work to make it a little more like Pandora. - And of course some people will "come to their senses" and realise it was just a movie.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think it is a bit unfair for many of the posters to criticize these people. They were deeply moves by the movie and the story it told, the world it immersed us in. Some would say they need professional help but why? The depression and suicide rates haven't risen dramatically over the years because people watched moves, they are there because quite simply our world SUCKS. Most people's lives suck. That is the cold hard truth.

You claim that people shouldn't be so deeply affected by this because it is "only a movie" but in reality it is a story. Isn't all of our history nothing more than a collection of stories passed down? Are we not to learn from works of art that teach beautiful lessons? Are we simply supposed to disregard it as "just a movie" and forget the message it sends?

The reason Avatar creates this feeling is because it is a classic case of a "sad but true" scenario. The film portrays humans as we really are and teases people with a world that could never be. Don't try to tell me that it could because the world is so screwed that any attempt to live in a self sufficient, freedom loving society as depicted in the film would be spat upon by governments and other people all the like.

Everything is symbolic. The main characters lack of mobility is a symbol for the cage, the lack of freedom that we as humans are trapped in. I'm sure more than a majority of people connected with him and wished as much as he did that they could escape their world and enter a place such as Pandora.

Yes our world is beautiful, but it is no Pandora. In place of community and self sufficiency, we instead have corporate power, greed, and corruption, and the beauty this world has is disappeared day after day as mankind spreads its grubby little fingers over it, tilling for resources and more and more power.

No, I don't think these people need professional help. In fact, if you didn't feel a sense of depression after the movie than I feel that you don't see our world for what it really is, and the monotony and insignificance we as individuals have fallen victim to.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If there's anyone who understands wanting to live in a dream world, it's me. However... when watching these fantasy/science fiction-based movies they tend to forget that living in tribes in the Serengeti or somewhere in the rain forest presents certain complications such as

1.) lack of food/nutrients,
2.) lack of medicine,
3.) human emotions/anger/frustration
4.) lack of building supplies to house thousands or millions... unless you start cutting down trees etc.
5.) No air conditioned or heated homes,
6.) having to kill your own food
7.) etc. etc. etc.....

Whenever I watch documentaries on people living in the jungle or somewhere remote in Africa on one hand I envy the simplicity of their lives,.... but then I look at them again and think... they're just people. They look more aged than they should, some of them look sick and hungry, some of them (namely women) look unhappy (or sometimes even express unhappiness) with their lives, there is a lot of strange superstition that rules their lives (sometimes even slavery), and they still compete with neighboring tribes. That doesn't look like fun. Instead of spending 8 hours on a computer working, I'd have to spend it out in the sun churning butter and hand-washing clothes. No thanks.
Maybe for a week or so, but I (personally) wouldn't want that to be the rest of my life.

Fantasy movies are great and I wish life could be as perfect as it looked on Pandora or anywhere else, but reality is we're still human, we have our emotions and faults, and we still need to gather, make and hunt resources to survive.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Man i really dont get what the big deal is about this movie yea it was a good flick and visually stunning but it was basicly pocahontas in space

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join