It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Yes, they do. They think the goal of life is to get an education and to be a productive corporate slave, to get a mortgage and "earn" the right to live on the planet they were born on.

Having their bubbles burst must have been very painful.

Uh, no. People that get an education and work for corporations, including the rest of the working class, earn the right to live a certain lifestyle on this planet, not "the right to live on this planet".

I don't think a single person you ask in the corporate world would agree with that statement. In fact they would look at you like you were some sort of nutter.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I PERSONALLY THINK ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE DONT SEE A FUTURE WITH THEIR LIVES. Sorry capslock, at work

But people that see this movie realize the characters within have accepted their way of life. and if you notice the majority of severly emotionally impacted are from the USA. Could this be because a lot of americans do not have a sort of heritage or religion or traditions. I would love to see a poll on the country. ethnicity, and age of these depressed and suicidal viewers.

After i watched the film (in IMAX OMG!) i could see how the veiwer would want to be a part of this mystical world where all problems are of a foreign evil civilaztion (humans). hollywood got a good hook on playing humans as the enemy this time. Most alien contact films have the "Aliens" the enemy and us as the "oh no were so innocent trying to explore" humans. Theres no wonder this movie would have a different impact on the world than the traditional movies. not to mention the state of art visuals and 3-d.

i ramble sometimes and have a.d.d., please let me know if i missed something or didnt explain something very well. im too lazy too go back and proof read haha.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaymcd84
I PERSONALLY THINK ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE DONT SEE A FUTURE WITH THEIR LIVES.

I agreee there is an increasing sense of "no way out" or hopelessness.

Which is interesting because in the Greek tale of Pandora, the last thing left in the box afer all the evils of the world were relaesed was "hope," signifying that mankind always has hope.

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I am fresh from watching the movie- and I can tell you- Those of us who see the 'scum' of this planet for what they really are- our govts, the corrupt people in power, the corporations and banks stealing what little we have left, and then Religion (see also Pat 'the wallet' Robertson) stealing even more- even our minds and 'souls'... those of us who see these people and what they have done for what they really are- we're the 'aliens'.

Now... what to do about the evil, since the lot of us cant lift a finger to stop them...... I almost hate to say it- but I think we may actually *need* superior alien race to help dig us out, because it's pretty frigging obvious we cant help ourselves, me included. We're basically powerless, and we're dead. Or going to be, slowly but surely.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Okay. I can understand getting depressed and or suicidal after watching, say, a Ben Afflec movie (good example: Gigli.) But Avatar? Come on! Give me a break. That's a happy movie--not a sad movie. :-/

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Cameron through love story (positive feelings) tells us about terrible future of human beings:
- genetically modified humans (monsanto propaganda)
- smoking scientists (smoking propaganda)
- money based economy which benefits few
- wars, destruction, violence and CONFLICT after CONFLICT after CONFLICT (the whole story is full of conflicts)

What a waste of time and resources and a great potential it had. It could have shown the future that is beneficial for all people, with societies able to bridge differences, with respect to life.

All this film does is makes humans feel bad about themselves, regardless the fact that we have great capacities:
- love
- compassion
- cooperation
- lavishness

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
"...we will see, if your insanity can be cured."

In his book American Holocaust, the US scholar David Stannard documents the greatest acts of genocide the world has ever experienced. In 1492, some 100m native peoples lived in the Americas. By the end of the 19th Century almost all of them had been exterminated. Many died as a result of disease. But the mass extinction was also engineered.

Source www.alternet.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Well I am going with 3 of my children and my Son-In-Law to see it in 3 hours...

I have never seen an Imax3D film before so that will be an experience.

I was a bit dissapointed when I saw the trailer as I didn't know it was a shoot-em-up war type film
.. I'm not a big film/TV watcher so am interested to see how this film effects me...

Currently very far from depressed!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

WTF!!!!

What do you mean it was a Movie.
I thought it was a documentary.

Now I am even More depressed.

I have been ringing travel agents all day trying to organize a holiday to Pandora after I saw Cameron's documentary, no wonder they hung up on me.

And here I was thinking Avatar was as cutting edge as those Matrix Doco's.

P.S Does anyone want to buy 400 gallons of Blue body Paint?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

People who lap up the New Age propaganda are ripe for external authority and unconsciously obey. They shambled off to see this film like the pod people from Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I am still stunned at the collapse of mind-space this experiment in mind-control has achieved in the general population.

The thieves in Hollywood slink away with billions and in the end the viewer feels sick and let down. Who is the victim now? This film has abused many people.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Man you sound so stressed, angry and paranoid

I'm just going because my children want me to... no mind control of shuffling done here ...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FIFIGI

monbiot is a nailed on fruitcake- what a ridiculous use of the term holocaust, and you compare numbers from the 15th century to the 19th century, what are we talking about 400 year old humans!?!?!?

Most of the "reduction" in "native" numbers is nothing more than "mixing", oooooooo nasty race mixing, as most south american countries have large mixed populations

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by FIFIGI

monbiot is a nailed on fruitcake- what a ridiculous use of the term holocaust,

Always someone to prove Godwin's Law

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Personally, I found this film to be one of the most incredible, epic things I have ever seen

As I said on a different thread,"my God, what an amazing piece of work"
nothing left undone and not even close to overdone. However I must
disagree.

With the Vat that is, This film is a masterpiece. My opinion of Cameron
was he never stood out to much. Felt he was no different from a long
line of hollywooders.
Has he written anything before this? I could ramble on.
My hats off to the guy on this one.

I never enjoyed watching a movie so much. What?

Suicidal?
wtf?
Ok maybe this way. Right after the movie ends,
reality might be a tough thing to face. After some people may have
been able to" disconnect" at some point. I did find this
very easy to do with this movie. To lose yourself in it, the 3D has to help the effect but the story makes you feel involved.

I could entertain the thought that the movie's end is like coming down
hard. Like off of drugs. Sometimes alcohol.
Some of us don't have very attractive lives so being able to become apart of something like this for a few hours.
It could mean a lot more to some, than most .

[edit on 19-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Personally, I found this film to be one of the most incredible, epic things I have ever seen

As I said on a different thread,"my God, what an amazing piece of work"
nothing left undone and not even close to overdone.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by randyvs]

Well I am on my way now to see it ! Wasn't looking forward to it at all until this thread!

Now to find a way to smuggle snacks into the theater so we don't end up paying their fees for stale popcorn and flat coke!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well i just went to see the film last night. Great graphics and the stereoscopic 3D was something new. But the actual movie was terrible, rushed mundane plot with far too many cheesy scenes.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Well i just went to see the film last night. Great graphics and the stereoscopic 3D was something new. But the actual movie was terrible, rushed mundane plot with far too many cheesy scenes.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Solomons]

Oh dear.... what can I say.

My 13, 15 year olds loved it!...

It's a terrible film IN MY opinion....

It was like a cgi / human mix of Pocahontas with some rave body paint and accessories thrown in.

The sound effects were good and surrounding... the visuals were good to begin with but the UV glow paint effect will soon bore you.

The plot... what plot? It's Pocahontas with dragons!

Will I be depressed and wishing I lived on Pandora.... er.. no... No Avatar Blues for me.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by yzzyUK]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
OK, let me get this straight. People are becoming suicidal over a movie. So their reality sucks that badly. Or maybe there are evil subliminal messages in the film itself. Wow, a whole new conspiracy theory. You heard it here first.

I posted a thread on that actuly

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Exactly. Perhaps we should show it non stop in GITMO and then the boys down there might just kill themselves and save us a lot of trouble.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you, Indians are not always stewards of the Earth. There is documentation of Indians forcing thousands of buffalo to run to their deaths off a cliff, just because.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join