It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The movie was a great one and with all the perfect signs in it like: flying, driving w/o emitting pollution or destroying their world via mineral digging and being close to their GOD with direct contact also not to mention everyone was fit and in shape, I guess I can understand why so many people would lose it and wish for such a perfect world or realm to exist. The movie covered many grounds and I felt it was producing images of a world that was moreless perfect and peacefull THE NA VI didnt seem to be caught up in advancing technologically as they were more concerned with being intact with their GOD and their GOD PROTECTED THEM AS MANY WISH FOR THEIR GOD TO PROTECT THEM FROM INVADERS/DANGER makes sense GOD COMMING TO SAVE THOSE WHO ARE HUMBLE AND PEACEFULL. So I can understand the sadness in the massess after viewing this movie and then mentally returning to this dark realm of unhappiness and war and death and non believers and feeling like THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY and there is. I didnt get all mental like many who seen it but I did feel like da%^ it would of been nice to progress and evolve like they were FULLY DEPENDENT ON GOD FOR SUPPORT AND HAPPINESS.

Basically with people acting like this on a large scale proves this IS THE DARK REALM and MANY WANT TO EXIST IN A BETTER PLACE.

[edit on 1/12/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Maybe its not the ecological 'blues' the people are seeing but maybe the realisation that the Avatar kind of ecological destruction for minerals and material wealth is actually happening now, today?.?.
ANd with that they see the US military being owned by the corporations who think of nothing for people but only care for profit?

Either that or their just people who need to realise its a film?.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The movie is simply a commercial for new technology which promises so much (profits).
And it has, obviously, done a good job.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Just see and feel

[edit on 12-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Brainwashing? Yeah; I imagine it did wash out some of the sh*t that NWO has blinded us with!

I would imagine that many of these, "suicidal" people are very sad about the way the government used them in the armed forces.

It's black! No! it's white! Some of you are saying it's NWO programming.

I'd have to say I like the way they're programming now then. Great movie!

Edit to say: I also agree that it demonstrates more accurately a life, "worth living".

Thank you

[edit on 12-1-2010 by noconsequence]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
But - but - this is CRAZY! Everyone knows that movies have absolutely no influence on how people think or behave. At least, that's what we keep hearing from Hollywood when they want to defend the repulsive nature of today's "entertainment" media.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
What it tells me is many of those people have mental issues and live meager lives.

No, that is not it at all. I'll tell you what it is (in my opinion), and I'll tell you why I think it's good that a lot of people are feeling depressed after seeing this.

Ok, first, I'm a hypnotherapist (among other things), and in my opinion there is a reason why nature put the genetic code for experiencing "depression" in our DNA. And this is it: Depression is the first sign that alerts us that "something is wrong". It is our subconscious saying "Hey, pay attention here....red flag! Red flag!"

Think about it...if we did not feel blue or sad about things, nothing would ever change. Unfortunately, in today's world, instead of people examining why we feel bad, most people want to stuff it down and not feel it at all. But the truth is, if we don't occasionally feel "situationally depressed" (I'm not talking about clinical depression, that's another matter), but if we don't occasionally feel situationally depressed, we would never get angry enough to change things.

Think about it. What if our forefather's hadn't gotten angry and fed up and depressed about not having sovreignty over our own lives? The revolution would never have happened. What if women had never felt depressed when they moved into the suburbs, cut off from all their previous support systems? Women's lib never would have happened.

Depression begets anger (unless the person never gets to that stage), and anger begets action.

So, therefore, I contend that when we feel down, or blue, or depressed, or even suicidal about somehting, that is our psyche telling us: "Pay attention! Something is seriously wrong with the way you are living! Do something!"

I loved Avatar, and for me it was very thought provoking. If it is provoking our whole "collective unconscious" to get depressed, that's good....because that means if enough people get angry about the way things are going in this world, maybe change will finally happen. I think there must be a "critical mass" of mind-changers before change ever truly begins to happen. Maybe this is it.

Of course, it could also be that movies do a great job of reflecting the American consciousness, and maybe the reason why it was finally made is because enough people are thinking along those lines to begin with.

Also, remember....something cannot truly affect you unless there is something deep within you to affect. If a person feels that everything is a-ok with the world just the way it is, the movie will not have that profound affect on someone. But if, deep down, someone has already begun to feel that "hey, I think something might be wrong here", then chances are, the movie is going to trigger those feelings and really cause a profound reaction (i.e. depression, anger, the desire to change, and action.)

Just my two cents worth.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by nikiano]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I just went to the Avatar Forum

Few posts from there

I just watched avatar a few weeks ago and I'm feeling depressed and sad. It's like I want to reach out and be in Pandora. I'd do anything to be in Pandora. I've tried so hard to dream about me being on Pandora but it hasn't worked.

I hate my life and I could go on so much more about it. Well, at least on the internet I am anonymous and no-one can touch me.

No, I don't want to seek professional help. Don't even go down that road.

I'm not trolling. I seriously think I am emotionally attached to this movie. I would do anything to live on pandora and be an avatar. Almost anything.

I dont think english can even explain how i feel

I really understand how some of the people have been feeling about this topic.
After i had seen Avatar for the first time, there was this horrid anticlimax, an emptyness inside me, i felt really upset and down. i just lost interest in everything in my life. I walked out of the theater and burst into tears. I understand what people are saying when they want to give up everything and live on pandora, as a Na'vi. I would do the same thing without a hesitation.

"Well I went into the movie yesterday thinking I was just going to see a sci-fi romp. Little did I know it would change my life forever. I sat in the theater after it was over just stunned, and then I began to cry. I was ripped apart with feelings I had never had before, hate for myself and my species, hate for my capitalistic and worthless society, and a feeling of such despair that I would never be able to know the Na’vi or their superior culture and way of life."

Monolith, I think that for most people (certainly for me anyway), Avatar blues is really not an obsession. I've had obsession before, I know what it's like, and this really isn't one. I really never thought I would have anything like this, but now, I just want Pandora. I'm not obsessed with Avatar itself.

These are some really strong words by people.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

The potential I see that could effect the most change similar to the movie is a more inter-related community.

Nowadays, what usually happens is a family is started, and besides maybe a couple of close friends, they are usually quite isolated from the rest of their community.

I have been noticing recently, however, in my suburban community, that there is an increasing sense of duty to help out and connect to your fellow community members.

The other aspect, spirituality, I have been noticing is also a topic of increasing importance. I used to be one of the only few people who would be in the spirituality-style section of my local library and bookstore, however I see more and more people in these areas now, and sometimes the shelves are quite low on books.

The subject of meditations, astrology, and spirituality seem to becoming much more mainstream, and much less taboo among my peers.

The change I'm talking about isn't so much one on the political level of governments (right now, for the time being), but on a more personal, community based level.

Check out the thread in my signature for some stats about how people are starting to change the way they think about life, and the way they live their life.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well i felt sad when the Home Tree was annihilated i actualy had tear's and i never cry at films but this got to me

It was a great film and left me wanting more the visuals were amazing i can safely say i long to live on a world like that.. i also feel even more disgusted at the human race thanks to films like The Day the Earth Stood Still and Avatar portraying us as we are seen by other beings.

Suicidal? No
Sympathetic? Yes
Depressed? No more than usual.

The "Eywa" spoke to me though it was beautiful. I fell in love with the Na'vi when i first saw them even though they are based on the Native Americans(NAtIVe..Na'vi)

People need to realise it's entertainment nothing more,however it does show what we are like currently. Pandora doesnt exist around Alpha Centauri or does it?

Anyways here's hoping for Avatar 2 and to see Earth

EDIT: I think James Cameron should have used the term Pandorium or Navium not Unobtanium...

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Oh man this article makes me sick, as if some CGI day-glow crap could ever even come close to holding a candle to the real deal.

People have little empathy for the rain forests, full of every kind of natural beauty that anyone could ever hope for, but fake stuff in a movie gets them worked up. Sentient Earthlings are so clueless about the things that they should be proud of and fight for....makes no sense at all.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
God help these babies when someone tells them Santa is not real..............

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Uhm maybe you misunderstood me.. I agree with you 100%

Please re-read my post and check out the silly video.

Love Light and Live Right!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Personally, I thought the film was boring and drawn out. Hell, I even saw it in 3D. Even then, parts were cheesy and I wanted to leave.
The relation it has to our history is so obvious, I feel pity for those who think it's a work of art and original content.
People who have suicidal thoughts over this piece of garbage are pathetic.

If you really think this film is the greatest thing to grace the screen, you played right into what they wanted to happen.

Anti-depressants anyone?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Loki Lyesmyth

No no you are taking it wrong I did not misunderstood you at all, what I was saying it is sheer wrong to even contemplate such a thing by anyone (not you). I agreed with your posts

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knoen
Personally, I thought the film was boring and drawn out. Hell, I even saw it in 3D. Even then, parts were cheesy and I wanted to leave.
The relation it has to our history is so obvious, I feel pity for those who think it's a work of art and original content.
People who have suicidal thoughts over this piece of garbage are pathetic.

If you really think this film is the greatest thing to grace the screen, you played right into what they wanted to happen.

Anti-depressants anyone?

haha, great summation

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'd probably get banned for this...But I can only foolishly quote Joe Rogan's allusion to Terence McKenna: "Smoke '___' and join my cult, motherf#cker!"

Apart from that, maybe it is in fact that simple sense of misery over feeling such empathy only in the face of such a sensory overload. Although the movie is cheesy, I think the fact that it gets people worked up does a great deal, but I hope people don't simply feel drawn towards Pandora because that'd be bloody insane and pathetic. Avatar is simply an reiteration of our colonial history and extrapolates our earthly worries.

[edit on 12/1/10 by thricearound]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

To me, this signals that the world at large, the people, (not the few up in positions of power dictating to the rest of us) WANT such a way of living, like our ancestors once lived---In peace and harmony with each other and their planet.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-1-2010 by DimensionalDetective]

Have you ever taken a Western Civilization course? How about a world history course? The history of the world is war and conflict. This idea that some how the ancients were "gentle savages" living in perfect peace is crap. The Greeks, Persians, Mongols, Chineese, Jews, and nearly everybody ever written about, fought epic bloody battles for land, wealth, and resources.

I believe these were people with mental issues that would have done this eventually any way.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
To be honest, this is probably just a publicity stunt.

However, if it is not (and it seems like a weird one to create) then these people are a bunch of bloody retards.

The movie was not that great. Cool special effects, cool villain, crap story.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yes Pandora is a beautiful (and dangerous) place but I have been to Tahiti for a couple of weeks and I enjoyed it more.
I think what people are depressed about, is the closeness inhabitants hae with their planet and the apparent solidarity and love thy feel for each other. The movie is a wake up call for the millions who forgot how social creatures like us ought to live.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join