It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Jeysas H Chriisst !. Im sorry for blaspheming but some people REALLY need to get a grip of their lives. To have "suicidal thoughts" and "depression" after watching what is basically a feature length cartoon is quite frankly ridiculous. Do these people not realise that it's just a movie. This is what is wrong with the people of this planet. Life exists beyond the internet, forum sites, movies and tv programmes. I'm worried what these people will do when they find out Harry Potter is a work of fiction dreamed up by a bored Scottish woman on her coffee break and not the memiors of a pre pubescent specky schoolboy reminicing about his days learning to become a master of wizardry

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I really don't thin anyone here has the right to tell people to "get a grip on reality" when the majority of this board seems to think some pretty crazy things.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
You know, our own planet is pretty beautiful if you go outside.

Just sayin'.

Good point.

Why would a species (like us) create a world in which we hate it so much we would rather go live with the smurfs??

I think this movie has nwo written all over it.

You knew I was going to say that didn't you?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
I really don't thin anyone here has the right to tell people to "get a grip on reality" when the majority of this board seems to think some pretty crazy things.

I do not know man?

Doesn't committing suicide over a movie top the list on wacky ideas???

You do not have to answer, we all know it already.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Says the guy with and alien grey depicting Jesus Christ as his avatar

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Here is a little bit of information in regards to James cameron.Maybe pandora isn't just science fiction after all.

James Cameron Iluminati

Avatar IMO is the best film I have seen in a long time.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
What it tells me is many of those people have mental issues and live meager lives.

what your statement tells me is you need to look in the mirror
"A strong connection exists between apathy and mental disorders. Apathy is one of the hallmark symptoms of schizophrenia. …"

I don't understand why this idiot recieved so many stars.

Anyway, could it be possible that these people are depressed by the subtle comparision between the movie, and what's really going on right now? Some sort of awakening, not so much a longing to live in an imaginative world?

I was once depressed, well diagnosed. It was a"chemical imbalance" funny now how after being OFF the toxins I am better. But I greatly enjoyed every aspect of the movie. From the greater message to the wavy blades of grass.

It's one of this movies you pay the 20 bucks a pop to go see it again.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Not at all surprised by this story. It just shows how meaningless many people view their lives.

Personnally I thought the film was kinda pants. The only thing kept me watching was how the issuse of main character would get to stay in his dream world. That predictabally was your typical hollywood ending. I was totally bored with another big battle sequence.

The only positives about film was how it painted the army in such a negative light. Thats refreshing. The other plus was the little spirtual bits and pieces running through the film. Its nice to have younger people exposed to something like this for a change. It might flick a switch somewhere inside them.

(P.S. Shame on Mr Cameron for taking the tobacco companies money to display their deadly product in 3D. )

[edit on 12-1-2010 by itstheendoftheworldaswekn]

[edit on 12-1-2010 by itstheendoftheworldaswekn]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Fantastic movie. I've seen it twice.

These people should get out in nature and get in touch with reality. I hike regularly. Nearly every weekend, weather permitting. I visit some of the more diverse terrain in my region. Swamp land, rivers, and mountains. The mountain tops with alpine forest are my favorite. The wilderness feels more real to me than anything. I like hiking deep into the woods and listening to the silence. The only sound there is comes from my own footsteps. It feels like home. I only wish I could spend more time out there.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I had kind of the same feeling after watching Where the wild things are, after it was over I felt that I wanted to run away, be on my own and live in the wild. I think it comes from us being stuck with loans and bills to pay and bad jobs. With all that you're not able to just get up and walk away.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
i can attest to feeling depressed after the movie, maybe even a bit suicidal

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Our spirit knows this world we live in is wrong. We are killing our mother and our spirit knows this. Our planets loving energy is fading in our greed and violence. We are sad creatures, like insects that eat their mother to grow fast and strong, hive minded and destructive.

But "Momma's gonna wash it all away..... Learn to swim"
Tool - www.youtube.com...

The Gaia Theory
en.wikipedia.org...

How very RUDE we are, spoiled bratts...
Nature, God, Evolution, WHATEVER YOU CALL IT : has seen fit to bless us with a beautiful savage garden, a perfect place for us to grow and live and learn, a GIFT... What do we do with it? #E ALL OVER IT AND TURN OUR BACK ON THE GIVER OF LIFE> WTF?

We deserve what is coming, we earned it if you don't think so take alook at this list
1. The Tasmanian tiger
2. The Passenger Pigeon
3. Aurochs Cattle of Europe
4. The Quagga Zebra
5. Atlas Bear of Africa
6. The Cape Lion
7. The Dodo bird of Mauritius
8. The Javan Tiger
9. The Great Auk
10. The Yangtze River Dolphin

All gone becuase of us. NICE HUH?

This is what I say in final: GIVE UP DOMINION (WATCH THIS PLEASE)
www.youtube.com...

I love you all, but I don't love what we've done.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
You know, our own planet is pretty beautiful if you go outside.

Just sayin'.

its beautiful to an extent...forests are beautiful (but not the areas where the trees have been cut down)

deserts imo are beautiful (but not when they are replacing vegetation areas)

i think new york city from above is beautiful (but probly not as beautiful as the land its built on was 5000 years ago)

below the ocean surface is beautiful (but not the parts where waste is dumped, or dolphins are caught in nets)

my point is...there are still very beautiful parts of this planet...but they are slowly being replaced and only one species can be blamed for that.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Brain washing at it's best.

The NWO will be so please.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I am ready , i want to leave behind my human body and this world ... I want to become a Naa'vi and live forever on the beautiful world that is Pandora !!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I must admit that it was a bit of a bummer having to leave Pandora at the end of the movie. It was a beautiful place with an uncomplicated culture... but I was over it after a few minutes.

I think people just yearn for a life that is far less complicated.

I guess the phenomena is similar to that of reading a really good book where you feel kind of sad to read the final page and say goodbye to the characters. It's just a testament to the brilliance of the authors... or in Avatars case, James Cameron.

However, people wanting to commit suicide etc is taking it all a little bit too far. At the end of the day, it's just a movie!

IRM

I think you hit the nail on the head - the more we are drowned in technology the more people, deep down, yearn for a simpler life.

I grew up immersed in technology and I work with some seriously cool stuff during my day-to-day job but lately I have been wanting a simpler life, devoid of technology where I can take the time to enjoy things like a sunrise and have the time to reflect on this world.

Only thing I felt after watching the movie was how much Pandora reminded me of the Amazon rain forest and then I felt angry and sad at how we are destroying our own Pandora i.e. this earth.

My reality needs more salt and pepper!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
Well people who feel depressed after the movie have missed the point entirely.

Pandora isn't supposed to some kind of "dream" that you can only achieve in your imagination; it's a representation of what we and our Earth can become if we accept the same values of spirituality and community life presented in the film.

I myself felt inspired to help change this world after seeing the movie; people who feel depressed about it are probably people who feel that there is no hope for change. They need to start looking around and realizing that the potential for change is everywhere- they simply need to rise up and grasp it.

[edit on 11/1/1010 by Monts]

could you elaborate a little?

for example what potential for change do you see? what (possible) changes do you think could happen if we the public wanted it?

do you mean things like walking to work instead of driving? because that leads back to man made climate change and i still dont think climate change is caused by us.

i agree that human life could be much better but i dont think theres a great deal we can do? the governments control EVERYTHING so how do we change anything? unless EVERYBODY joined together in an uprising i dont think theres anything we can do.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Loki Lyesmyth

Why doesn't mother earth just have all the animals attack power lines and the such, why do we all have to drown?

Why can't earth be more like pandora!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

well we could just splice the genes of jellyfish into everything so they become bioluminescent

but seriously, I've always liked glow-in-the-dark plants

[edit on 12-1-2010 by reject]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by robert11s

Says the guy with and alien grey depicting Jesus Christ as his avatar

if you read his post properly youd see hes sayin DONT tell people to get a grip...he can have an alien image next to his post because hes not the one screaming get a grip...hes saying that people on this forum are latching onto some unrealistic things (himself included) but then those people are telling other to "get a grip on reality" (himself NOT included)

you mis-read it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join