It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope slams gay marriage as 'attack' on creation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Its a very strange world we live in, where one man can be seen as the direct line to the creator of -everything- and people actually believe it. Even the tiniest scratch on creation will tell you any potential creator would not give one rats behind if two members of one species and the same gender happen to love each other. However it is quiet obvious that it certainly makes some members of said species uncomfortable! and it is also very obvious that the whole issue is driven by certain societies in an attempt to prevent track lighting.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I just find it strange that anyone would presume to know what is best for the planet in reguards to creation; then in turn cover up, deny, and minimalize a problem that devistated so many lives. Pedophelia

Pedophelia isn't an "attack" on creation? sheesh!

The Catholic church is the last bunch, along with extreme Islam, to have the gaul to claim whats "against creation". You are born gay, just as your born right handed and with blue eyes... I know from experience. I diden't want to be gay, I just was. Those who think you choose your sexual persuasion are just idiots. To not provide the same civil rights to some one on the basis of how their born, is what's really disgusting.

It was not untill the last Pope that the church "forgave and appoligized" to Gallileo! (He was lucky to get away with house arrest for most of his life) Many others were not so lucky. It's so tragic so many people think their God gives them cart blanch to treat others they don't agree with in such terrible ways. I agree with you in total. The Catholic church should, (and I say this as a recovering Catholic), clean up it's own house first. While some religions may help people in times of stress, etc, I think most are far more harmfull then any good they do.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

What a GOOD and sensible, sane, post

Good to know you're on the planet

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Dock9:

I prefer to liken it to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but yes to all the rest.

As for the thread topic; one would think that the Catholic Church, while keeping to dogma and teachings, might have evolved enough to realize that indeed, the letters of the gospels, for example, were written for the time period they were read. But things change. Ideas must necessarily change and evolve as well, else it tends to become redundant and stagnant.

GLBT's aren't going away anytime soon. Wouldn't it be more beneficial for the Catholic Church, which has a reputation of profiting when it sees something to exploit- would embrace this growing population, instead of driving them away?

But hey, what do I know, apparently God will judge me for my vile thoughts...

[edit on 11-1-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

ANOTHER good, sane, sensible, human contribution

Keep on spreading the message. As H.G. Wells so famously said, 'We're in a race with Time'

and it's TIME we put to the past what belongs with the past

and as a species, grew UP and stopped the self-righteous ignorance which is such a cause of suffering, division even today -- and responsible for unimaginable suffering in the past

Ok. Let's just agree that way back then .. 2 or 3 thousand years ago ... people were ignorant, incredibly ignorant in many ways

and just because they were

is no sound reason for that same ignorance to be peddled and rammed down people's throats today, posturing as 'God's word' and 'God's Will'

Come on people .. those of you who condemn and judge homosexuals based on the word of goat-herders 3,000 years ago !

Do you REALLY believe that God would create homosexuality, only to condemn homosexuals to hell-fire ?

Do you BELIEVE that ?

You can't. I refuse to accept that any sane person could believe that

So LESS about a BOOK written by MEN and what it might say

and how about a bit MORE intelligence and humility and ordinary sanity, huh ?

OR -- for those who INSIST the Bible is the 'word of God' and that the Pope is 'God's emissary on Earth ' .... GO AND LIVE YOUR LIFE in strict obedience to the Bible-book and the man in the funny frock
That's it. You go and do that

and leave the rest of the world to evolve

thanks

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Oh good Dock9, you got this. I'm gonna go make dinner for my heathen children.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

You write a good post
and I'm hoping here that it's sinking in with those who most need to hear what you say

Only one thing has me puzzled and that's your reference to 'GLBT's

Now .. I've reached a few conclusions as to who they might be, but would appreciate learning if I'm correct, lol

As to the RC church .. well, they figure large in conspiracy theories, much of which is correct, imho

Not as if the last few Popes have gone out of their way to promote Christianity, is it ? Will say no more ...

And of course, it's claimed the fabled New World Order is intent upon eradicating Christianity

So, all this taken into account, it comes as no great surprise that the RC church seems to be pushing followers away and alienating those still too stubborn to quit

I have an interesting book somewhere, about the Popes down through history: the pregnant female Pope for example and the Jewish Popes

Personally, I feel Roman Catholics to be of far better character than their clergy .. of far greater and more sincere faith and decency. It's a shame they're being betrayed by their clergy which is why I said, half humorously in an earlier post, that RC's should sack the Pope and the Vatican heirarchy and confiscate all their ill-gotten wealth, both collective and individual. And I'm pretty sure that if Christ dropped by unexpectedly one day, he'd lead the mob and throw open the Vatican stronglhold himself, and subject all those thugs to a taste of the same whip he used on the money-changers in the Temple

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Funny how the Vatican hates gays but stands behind it's child molester priests.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The Pole should look into pedophillia among the priests across the globe. He should even look around for satanist cults and children being sacraficed in the holy places of the vatican. He has enough problems of his own in just leading the Catholic Church, if thats not enough to keep him busy, then a cleaning of the holy house is in order. Time to take out the trash.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The pope should pull the spoon from his a$$. He's a closet homosexual anyway.

No offense to gay folks, but "marriage" is a religious ceremony. If whatever religion doesn't want you married, why would you want to par-take in their ceremony? Pretty whishy-washy if you ask me.

Civil / legal unions for gay people should be allowed. They deserve the same rights as anyone else, wedding ceremony or not. The fact that they can't be married flys in the face of the constitution. Separation of church and state.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sorry Folks but even though I think the Pope is a rediculous Man-Made Perversion, it is still his job to inform Catholics of his opinions. It is also the job of all Pastors, Preachers, Rabbi, or Clerics to teach.
Just because someone believes Homosexuality is wrong, it does not infer that they believe Homosexuals are lesser people. They are no better or worse than anyone else. A true teacher would tell you we are all sinners.
Those of us who believe that Homosexuality is a perversion, have, or at least should have the utmost respect for everyone regardless of their beliefs or actions.
It just too bad that all people do not have the same respect for everyone else. It seems the only 'hate' we see on this issue comes from the intolerant, 99% on the left ........."don't like my view? Then your better off dead!"
Now your worse than being called 'Gay' (which I thought you took PRIDE in), but your a Hypocrite, a Hater, intolerant, and a Bigot.

Almost would rather be the pope than that! Although my head may not be big enough to wear it.
True tolerance is being able to respect despite a difference. Peace people!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjcord
My silly brain immediately finds this humorous in a roundabout way.

If this is an issue for the Pope, perhaps he should look a bit further. In the Bible he follows so devoutly (>.>) God created man in his image. Man, not males. So God created males and females in his image. Would that make God a hermaphrodite? If so, why would different sex organs matter at all?

Common misconception.

Man = male + female

A male on his own is just that, a male.

Man or Mankind is the combination of both genders...
...and in that union they have the power to create life.

Also, the Hebrew actually says 'to be made as God's image'...
...which means we are soveriegn beings designed to act in our world as He acts in all creation.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

GLBT - Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered. I use this term as "homosexual" sounds awkward, as I would not refer to myself as "heterosexual". Gay, in a thread of this sort, could too easily be taken as a slur.

I like to bring up the gospel of Mary Magdalene, wherein it is strongly implied that Jesus left his ministry and the church in it's entirety in her hands, making her...the first pope, a female.

But please, don't hold your breath on anyone who needs to absorb these ideas actually absorbing them. I have found that many people who have their knuckles whitened on their bibles do so because they NEED to. They cannot cope with a world that left them alone, where they would be forced to rely on their intuitive moral codes independently. It's sort of sad.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by moocowman

I really feel sorry for you. I do, and of course you will say you feel sorry for me, but atleast I know when I die I will truly be happy. And of course you will say the same, But only time will tell.

No I don't feel sorry for you, why should I ? I would expect you are happy and living a very good life why on earth should I feel sorry for you ?

No need to feel sorry for me I'm living a very happy life .

Of course you cannot "know" you be equally or more happy when you die, you may choose to believe it but you cannot know until you die.

If death will bring you such great happiness and of this you are totally assured, why are you hanging around, why not kill yourself and be totally.
happy for all eternity ?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
wow, really? anyone actually give a fukc? who`s funnier people who are actually fighting for the "PRIVILEGE" of getting married (lol) or people who take Popes and Co seriously...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Thank you for confirming what I said.

-----

Some people are getting really angry here. Strangely, the only hate being spewed seems to be coming from the literalists side though...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

LOL re: GLBT

I thought it meant God Loving Bible Thumpers

but then that didn't square with the rest of your post, so I guessed it was wrong

Heading out now to do some gardening for a while, but have really enjoyed your contributions to this thread

at very least, they are so good, so eminently sane, that they will cause people to think and reconsider

Ps: I tend to agree with you about some people NEEDING to maintain their white knuckle grip on that Bible. Maybe they'll read your posts and learn to relax a bit .. hopefully

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

CJ,
Evangelical Christians believe the Bible was written by God/Holy Spirit through men and therefore infallable.
You can disagree; call the book lies or the believers deluded.
But I am trying to clarify this for you, so you do not wonder in frustration why you are not succeeding with your posts.
Pls understand on the basis of logic, that it is because such Christians believe that God wrote it that they believe it is infallable, definitive, and authoritative.
Further, there are, therefore, no "authors" of the Bible other than God.
With regard to the Old Testament, Jesus never denied the infallability of it and explained and referenced those writings many times.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The pope dosen't believe in god he is corrupt like everyone else

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

I truly do appreciate your clarification. I am very aware of it, which is why I am not precisely frustrated by lack of revelation, but rather fascinated. I do not aim to convert, but rather to understand, and maybe help others in understanding along the way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join