It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do all of these Holocaust museums serve a purpose anymore?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
www.forward.com...

Local Holocaust Museums Grow Amid Worries About Future
By Gal Beckerman
Published December 23, 2009, issue of January 01, 2010.

The numbers speak for themselves: There are now 16 Holocaust museums in the United States, from Albuquerque, N.M., to Houston, to Richmond, Va. And these are just the biggest of nearly 150 Holocaust centers all over the country.

The proliferation of museums detailing the story of what happened to European Jewry during World War II has been largely a phenomenon of the 1990s, part of the general increase in Holocaust awareness in the culture at large. But it has by no means slowed: The most recent museum, in Skokie, Ill., opened last spring, while construction continues on a second Los Angeles museum, to open in the summer of 2010.

With a substantial, federally-backed national museum in Washington, critics are increasingly wondering about the need for so many local museums. Even more important, the question of whether these institutions will be able to financially sustain themselves into the future — given the heavy costs of maintaining collections, and the dying off of the Holocaust survivors who founded them — is of great concern to museum directors.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to discuss whether the holocaust existed. I believe that it did, while others may disagree.
I would like to know whether after 65 years, with the Nazi regime long dead, and almost all of the survivors deceased, whether there are other causes that are more pressing. For instance, Darfur and other current genocidal wars rage on, while other equally disastrous massacres have occurred in recent times. None, however, seem to draw the attention that the Holocaust generated.
Is it time to move on? Why, of all the horrors in human history, does THIS one, generate a need for 16 museums, and counting?
Please try to keep this discussion civil. I'm not looking to start a religious war here.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

The thing about history , even tragic history is that if you don't

remember it , your doomed to repeat it

It was only 65 years ago, not that long.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Sean48]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

The thing about history , even tragic history is that if you don't remember it , your doomed to repeat it

Oh, I certainly agree. However, why are the 16 museums for the holocaust, and none for other events that were just as disastrous?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Oh, I certainly agree. However, why are the 16 museums for the holocaust, and none for other events that were just as disastrous?

So how many museums about the other events have you started? Or are you waiting for someone else to do it?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Of course they do, they serve as a poignant reminder of man's inhumanity to man.

I have been to Auschwitz and will never forget the emotions it stirred.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

They need museums about the horrors of nuclear warfare.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Because the holocaust killed about 12 million people from various political, ethnic, geographic and social demographics ?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I,m one of the biggest "expose Israel" guys on the site.

I'm not anti-Israel, I'm more of (why doesn't Israel stay in their backyard)

kind of guy.

But these museums are important for people as a whole , to remember

what Man is capable of , At his worst.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I have been to Auschwitz and will never forget the emotions it stirred.

I'm asking about the 16 museums in the UNITED STATES, not the original camps.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If I could be bothered, I'd sue the entire holocaust-industry

for brainwashing me

for manipulating me

for using me

for abusing me

and for lying to me

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

Already have one. www.nuclearmuseum.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Of course they do, they serve as a poignant reminder of man's inhumanity to man.

Then why don't we have 16 museums depicting how the Romans threw the Christians to the lions?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Holocaust museums are in place because if you tell a lie well, and often enough, people will believe it.

It's as simple as that.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by JPhish]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

So how many museums about the other events have you started? Or are you waiting for someone else to do it?

The reason is that I don't believe that we should have ANY museums for such purposes, save perhaps the treatment of the American Indians, which was a disgrace perpetrated by people in this land.
Not only did the US NOT cause the holocaust, it was our troops that liberated many of the camps, and risked their lives doing it.
There is no NEED to "remind" us about man's inhumanity in this instance, because our country was not responsible, and did not contribute to it.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

My last post in this thread

Does it really matter the EXACT number of people who died?

The WAY and the REASON is what TRULY matters!!

Not a number.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I edited my post before you even posted yours because i didn't feel like cycling trivialities . . . but the fact is, these museums are in place to perpetuate a lie.

Where are the museums dedicated to the Native Americans?

Considering that was a REAL holocaust i find it quite ironic.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Good thing is that people can make a choice if they want to attend and what it means to them.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

Then why don't we have 16 museums depicting how the Romans threw the Christians to the lions?

Start one

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Oh christ here come the "holocaust never happened crowd." You know i am pretty sure the bombing of hiroshima never happened.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Forgive me.

I am sure your insular approach will not encourage the denial movement.

Most Americans rarely, if ever, travel outside the USA and as such have no access to Auschwitz etc.
Subsequently I am sure there is a place for some Holocaust museums.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join