It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If slavery was legalized [again], would you buy a slave?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

if the person is himself/ herself willing to offer service out of interest in exchange of compensation for a period of time then yes. If a person is forced to do it or does it out of duress of due to financial reason then NO.

Personally I assumed that the slaves would be people who had been bred for it and raised in captivity. Stealing people and slapping manacles on them isn't very practical. On the other hand, if you have people who have been raised from birth, told that they're slaves and taught how to behave as such...it probably wouldn't be all that different than people who have been raised in our society and taught that they're workers.

The question of free will becomes somewhat muddled. With proper training from a sufficiently young age, I fully expect that it would be possible to breed and train people who not only fully accepted their role as slaves, but were even proud of it.

Oh, you may cringe. But am I incorrect? How many people have you known, how many people on this board take pride in their work? Feel genuinely good about working hard every day? Have two jobs and scorn the rich as being ignorant of lifes true values? Is it really so different? I think it's not. If people were taught from birth that they're slaves, told that they should be grateful and proud to be born into their caste because they were the foundation that allowed society to function, that they should be glad to be free of the worries and uncertainties that plague free men...do you really think they would be crying out in droves to escape that lifestyle?

Many in this thread have spoken of buying and freeing them...but imagine for a moment a caste of people who had been trained to genuinely take pride in slavery. Imagine walking between the cages, being followed by rows of eyes pleading with you "Oh please buy me! I'll be a good slave, I promise!" Imagine having bought one and on trying to free her being met with tears, "Oh, master! Have I been bad? I've tried so hard to be an obedient slave...please don't discard me like a worthless, used rag!"

Isn't that exactly how many of you feel when applying for a job? "Oh please, pick me!" How you feel when fired after years of loyal service? "How could they just throw me away after the dedication I've given them!?!?"

Is it really that different?

Also, Brave New World.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
My loathing of power seems to grow daily. In theory and as much as possible in practice I reject any authority not fully consented to by those subject to it. I don't even believe in chewing out subordinates at work. So no, I would not buy a slave if slavery were legalized again. More likely I'd hold up the slave market and build my own private (volunteer) army from the willing among those I liberated. But while both well intentioned and potentially profitable on the side, I'm sure that wouldn't turn out all good. Afterall the slave market will be guarded so you'll need to bring in some criminal assistance- probably the organized kind. So now you've got an army with mafia ties to balance against the interests of a burgeoning civil war II, so almost immediately the guy who started it gets whacked, and with me out of the picture I'm guessing the guy in charge is going to end up being some alcoholic cowboy who fancies himself William T Sherman.
In short, let's not legalize slavery or stuff's gonna get nasty.

BUT and here comes the devil's advocate,

Can we really take the question of slavery being legalized in a vacuum? Can we rely on our current concept of slavery though? For it to be legal, one of several things would have been necessary. Either the constitution was amended (requiring an almost impossible supermajority or massive political disenfranchisement to achieve) or a certain arrangement or practice that could constitute slavery was examined by the SCOTUS and found in their eyes NOT to be slavery.

You would never have to go to a slave market and buy a slave. They would never call them slaves, and they certainly would not be trudging along in a field in shackles, showing whip scars through their tattered rags. They would have white teeth, and good looking short hair cuts and wear cheap khakis and a uniform polo shirt (though sometimes you'd be able to tell it was the second or third day they've worn it and you'd be a little disgusted and make jokes to your friends about it). On a good day they might even smile and speak very smartly and enthusiastically, though probably not early monday morning, which again you'll be a bit disgusted with, and this will probably result in disciplinary action. They'd even have just a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel maybe, and they'd be earning an admittedly very modest but honest living. (It's not that far fetched is it? They sound like low to mid quality minimum wage employees don't they?)

Here's what's gonna happen. They're going to come to America in droves by their own free will to seek a better life after we topple their dictator or fail to stop an invasion or a genocide in their country. There are going to be more of them than we know what to do with, piling up in our ports of entry, unable to be let go, but with not enough space to keep them all. And we're going to be freaking out about this and arguing about it when its on the news, and between one and two thirds of us are going to just wish they'd never come, but most of us will feel like it is cruel to send them back.

The president is going to give them refugee status and have FEMA move them to camps, and the army will be tasked with guarding them. Things will go badly, there will be food and water and sanitation shortages in some of the camps, and the pressure is going to be on. So a shadowy voice somewhere inside of FEMA which may or may not have gotten an email from the white house (as we will learn a year later) will bring in a private company with ties to a senior member of the presidents administration in on a no bid contract to fix things up.

So in comes this giant corporation we have all heard of but never remembered or really known anything about to document all these people and get them to work. So they'll do a half-way ID/background check on at least some of these people and completely blow that part, then they're gonna issue them all documents (the failure rate here will probably be a bit lower) and have them fill out a resume (near total failure here, resulting in very low worker classifications).

And they're going to spit out a report in just a few weeks saying

"we've got five million adults, 2 million children with them, 300,000 orphan children, and 75,000 long-term medical cases.
Of the adults 1 million of them are fit for the service industry, but unlikely to all find full time work unless the minimum wage for them can be lowered, which will of course probably put at least half a million citizens out of jobs.
2 million of them are fit for manual labor, but completely unskilled and physically not well prepared. Most are likely to become day laborers.
200,000 are qualified for military service
25,000 of them have an expressed an interest.
1.5 Million of them are not fit to work for one reason or another."

Now there's going to be another round of freaking out on the news, and congress is going to be in all kinds of trouble, and there will be gangs of various numbers roaming the beltway after dark threatening all kinds of novel maneuvers, until somebody with a lot of nerve and a nose for profit says essentially what everyone's always saying about people who need money, "let em dig ditches" etc. He'll figure out some mundane undesirable thing that isn't being done for profit in the private sector and fix a really low value on it and come up with a way to make that low value support these people.

Congress will call this person in to give his testimony on the matter, and he will tell them that this extra labor and our willingness to support them while they get adjusted here allows us to catch up on a whole lot of work that we haven't been able to pay for.

Congress will fight for a while about the details, everyone protecting their constituents and looking for their dollar, and of course, as the media will paint it, "a few of the usual race baiters and flag burners" will speak up about the moral implications and how much their heart bleeds for these people, but an awful lot of people are gonna say, "well then let Jesse Jackson support all those people".

And in the end they'll come up with a plan to disperse them to less restricted camps for long term settlement until they get jobs, at which point they get to move out. To these camps they'll bring temporary staffing agencies who, will give them "job training" at a training wage of a dollar an hour. And they will do that until such time as they can get a full time job of their own and get started earning their citizenship by whatever means congress has enacted.

So now the question is, do you dial the 800 number when you hear that this housekeeping company can give you a thorough job in just one hour for about half the price, because they send 5 people and all but one is only getting paid a dollar? Do you report them when finally the 4 immigrants show up to work for their dollar an hour training wage, with no citizen supervisor still "training" them? How bout when 5 years later those same 4 are still coming back, still no full time jobs or real wages or citizenship. Just trailers in a segregated community 30 miles away they bus in from every day, and insufficient portions of cheap staple foods provided on a no bid contract that you continually here horror stories about (though "everyone knows" that they are finding ways to bring in more money, often illegally, and supplementing what the government gives them- the ones that get just that are real down and outers- no ambition- not even criminal ambition).

More people than we'd probably like to believe would almost certainly go right along with that, never even considering that there was anything like slavery about it. When you hear sympathetic stories about slavery afterall, it usually has to do with how nice the owners were, and how some wanted to stay but couldn't even be afforded as a slave anymore by their masters after the war. Apparently slavery doesn't look the same from up close- from up close you apparently see desperate people working and not starving to death and lose the bigger picture that they are trapped at the very bottom of our society for reasons they didn't choose and can't do anything about.

See if that doesn't make you distrust yourself just a little bit.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong. Are not all (americans) slaves to the system. We pay taxes to live our own homes, taxes on food, goods ands services. We must ensure we pay insurance to drive, pay an advalorem tax, pay the government from our wages to include social security and medicare. There is not a utility that is not taxed by your local and state goverments.

We are common everday slaves to the United State of America and the Federal Reserve banking cabel. Consumerism has ensured we are slaves to pay for the best housing and automobiles. It takes at least two working adults to run and afford a household.

Yes, we are slaves. However, in the future our technology will allow us to own our very own personal home attendants. They will be fully functioning human like robots and everyone that can afford it will own one. Slavery of the future will be quilt free. But surely there will be taxes and insurance deemed neccessary to own one. We will never be free. But a good old hunk of reliable, no back talking computer that cuts my grass and cleans my house will be looked at as a viable guilt free way to own a slave. I plan to own one should I live long enough.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
At this day and age, I am holding out for the robot android they are going to design to clean my house.

And they need to hurry up.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Going by your profile pic, i might be your slave :p

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If slavery would be legal again, the majority of slaves would be sex slaves. In fact sex slavery is still big today among the perverted crowd, legalizing would just give those with less money and connections to get in on it...

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Amelie]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

yeah - I bet corporations would make it a point to ONLY sell sterile slaves and would have at least a class of them that were not able to perform sexually. To keep men's wifes and female slaves 'safe'.

It's really disturbing to think about. lol Everyone would say Oh I'd never engage in that - but many already do. Some things we like to think are dead are not dead - witch hunts and killings, happen every day. Human trafficing and slavery, and sexual bondage - every day. Selling your own children, you bet.

You get a population desperate enough, you can about ensure these things happen.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

What the hell?!

You can't own a person!

FFS! I know why I put you on ignore!

Shesh Oh Pete!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
Ahh Id love a little slave. Buy it a basket to sleep in, maybe set up a wire mesh run outside so it could have a bit of space to excercise during the summer.

I know Im completely without a doubt going to hell for this, but this song popped into my head as soon as I saw this thread. Replace the word 'doggie' with a word of your choosing.

Explanation: St*r for you!

Personal Disclosure: That song link was so not PC. I loved it!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
reply to post by OmegaLogos

OL. You sure do have a way with words, especially in pissing people off with truth
. As said before the world would be better off if slavery were a thing of the past and for people to live in freedom. Give me freedom or give me death.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

Explanation: Another St*r for you!

I fully agree and it disturbs me that other members think that, just because I started a thread on the WHAT IF of legally buying slaves, I am then advocating that this is a good thing when I have clearly stated that I wouldn't buy anyone for any price as it would disgust me totally.

Seems they were
to begin with and I as the messenger am being made their whipping boy slave out of
frustration!
I really got to watch what I wish for in future huh!
:shk:

Personal Disclosure: At least they are considering the issue and hopefully someones ignorance might just get denied!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenny71
Well, I guess I would buy Heidi Klum for one American dollar. I would immediately put her to work in my bathrooms. Seriously though Totally crazy topic but I commend you on your stones for posting this and its originality. Born Free Die Free. Everyone in this world should have their own lives, choices and decisions.

Personal Disclosure: Thanks for the commendation!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

You asked some very good questions and I had ancient roman style slavery in mind when I 1st thought of making this thread but then I did some research and I put a few 2 and 2's together and as ATS has a very large US demographic of membership I'll peg the type of legal slavery as like that which went on in America before the Civil War OK! But of course that was aimed at a particular race and that would just derail the thread so everybody can be a slave or personally buy a slave [unless they are themselves a slave
obvious huh!
] OK! Coolio I hope that settles down things a bit more.

Personal Disclosure: Your last comment made me
hard! So TRUE!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
it depends; if i were unable to act in ways i would want: then yes i would buy a slave. i would spend as much as necessary to ensure i was able to act in ways i desire that are not possible by myself.

for example; if the world fell before my feet and what is real to you was but a fading dream to me; then in a fading dream i would buy a slave to act on my behalf since i would have no other means of doing such.

if slavery was as it was prior the invention of mistreatment; and a slave was a skilled worker who specialized in a certain field for generations (caste), then if i wanted something done i would have to commission slaves to do it if the skilled labor were slaves.as things are now i have no faith in the method used to procure commissioning of works great and would not need a slave for this purpose.

if for some people as is still present with dowries i would not purchase the opportunity of affection form the opposite sex.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Explanation: Yes I do have the Machismo to clearly IDENTIFY when and where I am a slave and also to what and or who! More than that I can also IDENTFY why and finally how to gain my freedom!

I'm a slave to existence. Death will free me from my mortal bonds!
I'm a slave to my desires, hungers, dreams, wants and needs. Death will free me from those mortal bonds.
I'm a slave to the ATS T&C's. Death can free me from such a choosen mortal bond!
I'm a slave to my smoking addiction! It will take care of itself by killing me and Death will have freed me from such a disgusting habit!
I'm a slave to.....Do I really need to go on???

Personal Disclosure: You are correct in that we are all slaves to something ultimately but that didn't really answer whether you as a legal freeman would buy a slave and what you would be willing to pay for that slave! Care to give those questions posed by the OP a go?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Explanation: You also bring up a valuable POV, as slavery is current and you are totally correct that life is CHEAP!

St*r for you!

Personal Disclosure: So would you buy and what do you consider to be an economically viable price to pay?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by the_grand_pooh-bah

Seriously enlightening post! Well Done!

Personal Disclosure: I love your Avatar name! Its Awesome!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Explanation:
VERY COOL! St*r for you!

Personal Disclosure: I want to St*r your post again....and again!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Explanation: If slavery was legalized where you reside, would you buy a slave? Also how much would you be willing to pay for the slave?

No I would not buy a slave. I would be willing to pay the cost of my life to free any old world slave if that was the case...

However in all truth, we will never see old world Slavery anytime soon one could hope..
In the old world, slaves where mostly the poor folks who are sold off by their masters, or those in charge of the towns/villages..

We live in the age of the new slaves!

Slaves in this day and age can be of any color skin.. Race really doesnt matter in the new days of slavery..
As 95% of all americans are modern Day slaves..

However we do not wear chains that we can see.. The chains of debt!

In the modern day age of slavery.. The slaves feed, and house themselfs.
They can even own their own biz! And go about their days without any borders or notion they are truely slaves!

Most of us are slaves.. Some of us "get it" Others deny what I see as truth.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Explanation: Thanks for answering the questions! St*r for you!

You raise some very valuable conspiracy oriented ideas to do with the Annunaki or the Ancients and slavery and I encourage you to make a thread based on those ideas.

Personal Disclosure: I agree with your button...I'm hardly humble at all! Still doesn't make me any less great though! [Note that my last comment is only valid in my own mind!]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
No, I would not ever buy a slave.

Explanation: St*r for you! Thanks for answering perfectly!

Personal Disclosure: Short, sweet and to the point! I dont care that it was a 1 liner and as the threads OP'er I'd frown upon any
mod'ing them OK!

Edited emoticon to make it work. Sigh!

[edit on 3-1-2010 by OmegaLogos]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join