It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If slavery was legalized [again], would you buy a slave?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Explanation: If slavery was legalized where you reside, would you buy a slave? Also how much would you be willing to pay for the slave?

Personal Disclosure: I'd never buy any slave for any price! The whole idea disgusts me but I would and could sell slaves as long as I didn't have to procure them for sale!

P.S. This thread was of course inspired by Jake Blues!

[to man in restaurant]
Jake: [fakes accent] How much for the little girl? How much for the women?
Father: What?
Jake: Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children.

So do any members have the machismo to admit they would buy a slave and also what kind of $ value would be willing to pay for various individuals?

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
You're seriously disturbed with these threads you're starting.

Slaves? Selling family members?

You need to take a good look in the mirror.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Slavery would be a fate worse than death to me so I can't say I'd be willing to put anyone through such a thing. The fact that it still goes on today disgusts me. It's amazing how human beings have the capacity for such evil. The only way I could ever purchase a slave would be with the intent to set them free afterwards. Otherwise, no.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If slavery was legalized I would buy as many slaves their freedom as I could

afford. Mankind should never be bound as slaves to no one individual or

peoples of this Earth. ^Y^

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Morality, liberty the whole afront to god thing aside

I couldn't afford the upkeep and like a car a slave would lose value the moment you took it off the lot and everyday after making it a very poor investment.

If I were some sort of caracature of an industrialist complete with all the absurd stereotypes of attributed to one Ebeneezer Scrooge perhaps I could afford the upkeep and justify the investment with labor costs but in this day and age I imagine articles branded "slave made" would be difficult to sell though Nike still sells shoes so who knows.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I would buy them if I was very ritch.
This implies at least a few milion dolars/euros.
Buying them would do them a favor.
Buying them to help them, it's the only logical thing to do.
If then I would be able to set them free, I would.
If there was a law that said that no slave can be free, then I would keep them in my service and make them my servants and treat them well so at least they would have some freedoms that they would not have outside my walls.

By not buying slaves you would make their lives even harder.
In a sistem such as where slaves exist you could only find ways to help out by working around the laws but within the laws.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well yes, I would buy maybe 320 million slaves.

Of course than I would be the US Federal government.

Involuntary Servitude

Legal Definition from here-The 'Lectric Law Library's Lexicon On
* Involuntary Servitude & Peonage *

INVOLUNTARY SERVITUDE & PEONAGE - a condition of compulsory service or labor performed by one person, against his will, for the benefit of another person due to force, threats, intimidation or other similar means of coercion and compulsion directed against him.

In considering whether service or labor was performed by someone against his will or involuntarily, it makes no difference that the person may have initially agreed, voluntarily, to render the service or perform the work. If a person willingly begins work but later desires to withdraw and is then forced to remain and perform work against his will, his service becomes involuntary. Also, whether a person is paid a salary or a wage is not determinative of the question as to whether that person has been held in involuntary servitude. In other words, if a person is forced to labor against his will, his service is involuntary even though he is paid for his work.

However, it is necessary to prove that the person knowingly and willfully took action, by way of force, threats, intimidation or other form of coercion, causing the victim to reasonably believe that he had no way to avoid continued service, that he was confronted by the existence of a superior and overpowering authority, constantly threatening to the extent that his will was completely subjugated.

Title 18, U.S.C., Sec. 1584, makes it a Federal crime or offense for anyone to willfully hold another person in involuntary servitude.

A person can be found guilty of that offense only if all of the following facts are proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

First: That the person held the victim in a condition of 'involuntary servitude';

Second: That such holding was for a 'term,'; and

Third: That the person acted knowingly and willfully.

It must be shown that a person held to involuntary servitude was so held for a 'term.' It is not necessary, however, that any specific period of time be proved so long as the 'term' of the involuntary service was not wholly insubstantial or insignificant.

Title 18, U.S.C., Sec. 1581(a) is the peonage law cited in the indictment.

The specific facts which must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt in order to establish the offense of peonage include each and all of the three specific factual elements constituting involuntary servitude as previously stated and explained in these instructions, plus a fourth specific fact; namely, that the involuntary servitude was compelled by the person in order to satisfy a real or imagined debt regardless of amount.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13th Amendment

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

I guess everyone in the US must have been convicted of a crime of being born here!

I believe anyone born into any country that has a deficit would fit the meaning of being a slave.

My share of the US debt is $333,000 dollars at the moment. Would anyone like to take my share? I am full up on the moment just trying to survive!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nate8727

i second that---there are other things to post about -lots more important--however since you asked--yes--but only if it was you--but you are some kind of work, so you would have to pay me to be my slave --right answer???

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
No, only rich and lazy people would want a slave.

Whats with all those useless threads.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Only if I would be able to buy you.

Then again, by looking at this thread you would probably be pretty useless.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Explanation: I appreciate all the replies from members who have partaken in this thread! Many of you have earned a St*r from me!

Personal Disclosure: I am impressed by the moral compasses possessed by many members and I applaud them considering the long term costs and consequences of owning a slave or slaves! VERY

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Buy low...sell high!

I could be the next great sports agent! I hear the NBA and NFL pays very well!

My ridiculous reply is in direct correlation to this ridiculous thread.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'd put a sign on that says "Free Slave!", i dare not take from my masters.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Explanation: Coolio So you'd buy me as a slave! That answers the "would you buy a slave?" bit! Care to offer a price you'd be willing to pay for me?

Personal Disclosure: Flattering me [RE:"pretty"] on ATS IMO does nothing for your own reputation!
Who here is really being "useless"?!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
whats the difference between a slave, and an unfortunate person or family that you then provide shelter and food for? i can somehow see how some slavery is out of respect and empathy. they have nothing, you have chores and extra food and an empty bed. i don't know. thats the only scenario in which i could see any form of slavery coming back. doesn't sound bad my way... then again never does.

let me clarify; you wouldn't own them, you accept the burden they have, so you still have to treat them with respect. and if you couldn't handle the situation you would have to set them free.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Sadly the sort of people who are still profiting form slavery are not concerned with the fact that it is now illegal...It still goes on it a big way in the form of huuman traficking,sex slavery,and more traditional rackets where slavers charge money to take people to a "free" country,then exploit and control them through loopholes in laws.
Making stuff illegal does not stop it from happening.

PS,A true classic post by Endisnighe.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I would buy them to give then a new life where they are FREE! I could never own a person and have them do my work while I laze around. Slavery is horrible and nobody should have to serve another!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
eh what the hell . sure. I'd buy a slave. I would force this slave of mine to be a drinking buddy. We'd get hammered and then no one could call me an alcoholic because Im no longer drinking alone.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Explanation: Its all coolio that members would buy a LEGAL slave and or slaves! I'm very interested in what those members would EXPLICITLY pay for said slave/s?

Personal Disclosure: For the economic purposes of answering that question I'll let members assume a perfect supply and demand situation where the slave supply and demand are in equilibrium.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm sorry but when i saw this I immediately thought of this:

I wouldn't buy a slave though, not because someone would have their life ruined but because it is epitomy of laziness, oh and because I wouldn't be able to afford one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join