It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If slavery was legalized [again], would you buy a slave?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What kind of junk is this?

And why do you care how much someone would pay for one?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Brittany

Explanation: This "junk" is kind of confronting!
But it is in the valid forum and it is asking valid questions that require members ignorance to be denied! If you think it breaches T&C's then I suggest you ALERT the
or place me on IGNORE!

Personal Disclosure: I'll answer your other questions once you've answered this threads questions!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I might consider grabbing up as many as I could afford if for no other reason that they'd have a better life with me than with many other folks lording over them. I'd never consider myself as an owner but more as a protector. I hope we'd never descend back into that. I'm left once again with a troubling feeling that we really aren't that removed from dejure slavery anyway.

What I am writing assumes that I won't be the one being traded on the auction block. Thus, how many reading or posting assume based on their own race or creed the status they would have?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The concept of a human slave violates individual rights and freedom.

Unless your goal is to get people to admit they are willing to abandon the concept of freedom and rights for a 'price', I don't see how your thread's goal could be to 'deny ignorance'.

Why don't you share your opinion on slave prices, so we can get a better feel for the direction you wish to take this thread in?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
And who would be the slaves? I find it humorous that you make the assumption that you would have the option to buy, rather than be one of the ones being sold.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brittany
The concept of a human slave violates individual rights and freedom.

Unless your goal is to get people to admit they are willing to abandon the concept of freedom and rights for a 'price', I don't see how your thread's goal could be to 'deny ignorance'.

Why don't you share your opinion on slave prices, so we can get a better feel for the direction you wish to take this thread in?

I fully agree that slavery violates individual rights and freedoms BUT this thread is not about the LEGALITY or the MORALITY of such issues. IT is simply would you and if YES then how much would you be willing to pay!

The threads goal IS to get members to confront the issue. Nothing more or less!

Personal Disclosure: As to my opinion on slave prices, well maybe if you had understood what I disclosed in regards to that issue in the OP i.e. " I'd never buy any slave for any price!" then you would of understood that I'm letting my fellow members decide this issue EXPLICITLY themselves! The threads already in the direction I placed it and its parameters are quite clear!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

The word slave is a bad word because it implies ownership and free labor. Some people disregard others so thoroughly and elevate themselves in such a way as to believe they deserve the extra help afforded them through able bodies who are not much more than energy units.
Other people have skills that are very useful but they are missing the framework in which to utilize them and prosper to their best selves. Why cannot people who are say astronomers, or scientists and may not be the best cooks or tailors hire someone who is able to complete these tasks at a fair and decent rate of pay. No job is better or worse than another job. They are all vital. If someone is a great housekeeper, this is essential, not lowly but a sacred task. They are all sacred t asks if they are worth doing at all.
The tailors and cooks do not know all there is about science and the stars. The scientist and astronomer information is shared equally among all mankind. If all of us stuck to what we were good at and stopped trying to enslave anyone but we all voluntarily performed our God given talent everything that needs doing would get done.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I believe that if slaves were being sold and were living in horrible conditions before anyone buying them, I would buy one. But I wouldn't treat them as a slave or anything like that, I believe I could pay them for their troubles and give them a nice place to stay. Although yes, I would have them work around a house, farm, or any other type work, and what not but I would be treating them more like an employee than a slave.

Nice home to live in and a sort of pay and also respect and I think they would be grateful someone who would abuse and use them didn't buy them.

Really hope no one takes what I say the wrong way.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I wouldnt even need to pay for a slave. I would just beat up the slave owner and set the slaves free. Freedom should be on everyone's agenda

Edit: $tar and flag from me

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

And who would be the slaves? I find it humorous that you make the assumption that you would have the option to buy, rather than be one of the ones being sold.

You obviously didn't read this post of mine to this same thread then!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

:shk:

Personal Disclosure:
That assumption was ALL YOURS!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
the 'you' was general, at the ones on this thread discussing their 'noble' purchasing goals

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Brittany

In latin American countries even the middle class has house servants. Each socio-economic level seems to gain employment and a means of a high quality of life by assisting those people on the economic level just above it.

This does not mean any individual in the system is any less vital, respected or honored for their work. Each appreciates the others contribution and those who can pay, employ those who cannot afford to employ their own help.

This is a symbiotic relationship. It is not slavery. It makes sense and we should do it here.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have a maid. And you are right, that's not the same as a slave.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Slavery is as old as prostitution, though many slaves back in ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome for example, did rise above it to gain prominent positions within the communities of their captors. No person has a right to enslave another, though it still happens in today's world.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You focus on the wrong matter.

I find slavery abhorent.

You probably wouldn't be buying slaves - you and yours would BE slaves.

In Rome 70% of the population were slaves.

Even if you ended up in the category of the other 30%, the likelihood is that your futile gestures would be futile. The person who is willing to be the sociopath wins in this system.

They have more "free" labour to do with as they please than anyone else. Meaning that others will seek to emulate their sociopath behaviours.

You focus on the wrong matters - because if this happens in your system, you don't need to "buy" slaves. You need to revolt. You need to line up ever member of your government and shoot them dead. Then tear up everything they "enacted" as "law" that lead to this turn of events.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

You obviously didn't read this post of mine to this same thread then!

Meh. The one posting the response does have to assume they have the option to buy in order to answer the question directly.

How many wouldn't answer the question because they assume they would be traded instead?

Perhaps important to consider is one's relation to your question. What does your assumption (natural, honest belief) about whether you would buy or be bought tell you about yourself?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

I wouldnt even need to pay for a slave. I would just beat up the slave owner and set the slaves free. Freedom should be on everyone's agenda

Edit: $tar and flag from me

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

A member after my own heart! St*r for you!

Personal Disclosure:
I have sent you a U2U and I made you a friend!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Thanks OL, its good to see you denying ignorance with a vengence
. Eventhough you get negative reply's, you still seek the truth and that my friend is the best quality anyone on ATS can have.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

The word slave is a bad word because it implies ownership and free labor. Some people disregard others so thoroughly and elevate themselves in such a way as to believe they deserve the extra help afforded them through able bodies who are not much more than energy units.
Other people have skills that are very useful but they are missing the framework in which to utilize them and prosper to their best selves. Why cannot people who are say astronomers, or scientists and may not be the best cooks or tailors hire someone who is able to complete these tasks at a fair and decent rate of pay. No job is better or worse than another job. They are all vital. If someone is a great housekeeper, this is essential, not lowly but a sacred task. They are all sacred t asks if they are worth doing at all.
The tailors and cooks do not know all there is about science and the stars. The scientist and astronomer information is shared equally among all mankind. If all of us stuck to what we were good at and stopped trying to enslave anyone but we all voluntarily performed our God given talent everything that needs doing would get done.

Explanation: Yes. All very good! But it has nothing to do with whether you would buy a slave and how much you would pay for one which is directly what this thread is about.

Personal Disclosure: I agree that slavery is not the answer to our current existential position BUT I didn't make this thread on that issue at all.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There was a Christian advertisement sent to me via email from a friend in which a poignant plea was made to send money to "buy" the freedom of stolen people in Africa.

I responded that I would be happy to send them bullets to shoot those slave traders but would not send them one dime to "buy" the slaves as that just continues to propagate the supply/demand market and many of the "freed" slaves just get stolen again. Especially if several "bidders" choose a particular one to "free".

For my thoughts on owning people see my thread entitled
Human Resources

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join