It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan court orders men's ears, noses hacked off

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
An interesting story, so much for a progressive democracy eh?

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- A court in Lahore, Pakistan, has ordered that two men have their noses and ears chopped off, after the two were convicted of doing the same to a young woman.

The anti-terrorism court also ordered that brothers Ammanat Ali, 29, and Sher Mohammed, 27, spend life in prison and pay 700,000 rupees ($8,300) in compensation to the victim, Punjab province chief prosecutor Chaudary Mohammed Jahangir said Tuesday.

The sentence was handed down Monday in accordance with Islamic law and the country's anti-terror laws, the prosecutor said.

The woman and her family had rejected an offer of marriage from Sher Mohammed, the officer who investigated the case said.

The rest of the story here.

I mean in a sense, ok, an eye for an eye. Or in this case and ear and a nose, but really this is how we want a nuclear armed nation to act when it comes to it's court of law?

What are your thoughts ATS? Justified or no?

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
but really this is how we want a nuclear armed nation to act when it comes to it's court of law?

What do nukes have to do with that? They left the poor lady for dead and mutilated her in ways unimaginable. I'd say the corrective surgery suggested by the court is a mild sentence for these brutes.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I'm just playing devil's advocate is all.

I personally agree with the sentence, but I wanted to promote discussion on both sides.

I mentioned the Nukes simply because Pakistan is supposed to be a first world industrial nation and people usually frown upon those who act this way.

Some would say they are no better than the culprits. I just think it's ironic justice.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This, from the article, disturbs me a whole lot more:

The brothers were tried under anti-terror laws because the incident "created tyranny" in the district, Inspector Ali said.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

i totally agree with you ,i mean they are going to be an example for every one who even thinks of doing something like this again.

that's my point of view

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well if they go by eye for an eye, all we have to do is not nuke them. Seems like a harsh penalty. Jailtime, fine, and removal of body parts doesn't seem equal.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Screw those guys, why stop with their nose and ears, keep cutting. I'm sick of the way woman are treated in certain parts of the world, one step above livestock. So this pos mutilates the girl because she wouldn't marry him? Wow, anyone who feels an ounce of remorse for these guys needs their head examined.

I get the whole different culture argument and I'll be the last to force my views on anyone, but when it comes to this type of nonsense that's where I draw the line.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I mentioned the Nukes simply because Pakistan is supposed to be a first world industrial nation

I don't know where you got such notion. Pakistan in most areas is an @ss-backward country. There is a semblance of democracy and all, and tribal rule in some areas. So basically they need to do what they have to do to keep certain m*&#@s in line.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigernI'm sick of the way woman are treated in certain parts of the world,

Females have always gotten away with murder.

How many innocent males all over this world, are in prison or dead for lies made up by females.

On topic, who knows, america likes those people and blows up there weddings, and you people think you have a right to tell them what to do.

Should america blow up another wedding, to make you happy?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
america likes those people and blows up there weddings, and you people think you have a right to tell them what to do.

That's an appropriate comment, by the way. For whatever ulterior reasons, we do kill civilians (as collateral damage) in that precisely part of Pakistan, so why exactly should try and remain on the high horse?

But like I said, the sentence is fine IMHO.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Those guys are certainly not innocent.

Who is trying to tell anyone what to do? What does a couple of dirtbags who are getting what they deserve have to with America supposedly blowing something up?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
On that basis and based on the fraud that has been committed by the banks and the government over the "financial crisis". Can I have my money back please, I personally don't want to bail out the fat cats so they can have bonus payments. I also don't want to sponsor illegal wars, must be in for my own bonus payment then..

I don't agree with the death penalty and I don't agree with this, two wrongs don't make anything right. It won't help the woman, stop all violent crime? I think not..

Lock them up solitary and let them think about it for their entire lives.

Charged under terror laws for fair enough a horrific attack which is barbaric and cannot be approved of in any way, using anti terror laws like this? slippery slope. And the overall growing level of blood lust on this planet in the name of something is something which should concern us all.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunker or Bust
I don't agree with the death penalty and I don't agree with this, two wrongs don't make anything right. It won't help the woman, stop all violent crime? I think not..

There was a case a few months ago in Iran, when a cruel idiot decided to "punish" a lady who rejected him. He splashed acid into her face and blinded her for life. The victim asked the sharia court that the convicted offender suffer same fate as her. I guess it meant something to her, at least making her feel avenged. Who knows, maybe it will be a valuable part of post-traumatic therapy for her. So it might help.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern

Who is trying to tell anyone what to do? What does a couple of dirtbags who are getting what they deserve have to with America supposedly blowing something up?

Who is to say what people deserve. My life is effectively ended when i was 17. Did you see me out there doing anything to the murderers who wanted me dead, no. Society deserves all the sh1t it has. The police and the murderers work together, so why bother with society at all.

the people who destroyed my life will never be prosecuted, and i always think if society wants trash let it have it.

How many murderers are out there in society working for government and police.

I think society deserves every bit of rubbish it has, if it wants trash let it have it.

You people going on vigilante parades is not going to stop evil.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

And you know that because you were there?

Please get setup, framed or just wrongly accused all the time not saying that's the case but you don't know ALL the facts only what you have been told. People that have been convicted of murder in the light of new evidence sometimes walk free in the UK, in the US in some states they die before getting that chance.

As a judge or Jury you can never be 100% sure as you personally were not there, certainly not enough to send someone to their death or copy cat mutilation if that floats your boat.

Oh and the police never lie do they, and governments always tell the truth..

What if you were out drinking one night and some mad woman or man accused you of rape. You can say your innocent and there is no real conclusive proof but maybe your eyes are too close together or the judge and jury just don't like you. Under your proposed system of justice would you take the same in return and feel ok with that?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

And the Pakistanis think they are NOT 3d world.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
My emotional first response was right on. Fair is fair. I have no sympathy for those that feel the need for vengence or must use violence or domination to make themselves feel bigger or better or whatever the reason may be. The punishment fits the crime but then my conscience kicks in and poses the question? "Who is right when the moral high road has been forsaken?"

Do I feel that prison would be enough? No, not if I am honest with myself.

Solitary confinement? A dark room, no windows, a toilet and a cot. Let them be deprived of their sight through darkness and sound through thick walls and an iron door. They behave lower than animals and humans and so should should lose their right to the experience of life. A lifetime with nothing but your thoughts; seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years. It may be costly though and I too have qualms about who would pay for even that meagre existence.

Cutting the nose and ears off on one hand feels justified but then I feel bad for the ones that must do it. Hopefully they would prefer not too and who could ask such an act of someone else?

I don't know I have mixed emotions about this. Great topic for conversation though OP.

Cheers

[edit on 22-12-2009 by thebulldog]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think they have it right and I wish we could do some punishing along those lines although the ACLU would have a field day with it.

On average a person convicted of murder in the US gets 20 years, but the person they murdered is gone, thats not right. I think If they want out after that 20 years they have to give up their genatils or use of legs.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by bigern

I think society deserves every bit of rubbish it has, if it wants trash let it have it.

You people going on vigilante parades is not going to stop evil.

So because society has problems this woman deserved to get her face cut up? I don't get that.

"You people" What is that suppose to mean? Am I for America pushing it's beliefs all over the world? No I'm not.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
the article goes on to note that these sentences are always overturned on appeal to the secular courts

top topics

<<   2 >>

join