It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last tiger in China killed and eaten by villagers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

The last tiger in China killed and eaten by villagers

www.dailymail.co.uk

The last Indochinese tiger in China was killed and eaten by a man who was yesterday sentenced to 12 years' jail.

Kang Wannian, a villager from Mengla, Yunnan Province, came across the tiger in February while gathering freshwater clams in a nature reserve near China's border with Laos.

He claimed to have killed it in self-defence.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
These kinds of stories are going to become more and more frequent, and just as the warning and the signals during the decline i imagine stories of species being wiped out will generally be ignored. This Disgusts me!!

There is the generally off putting story of the villager who ate the last Tiger, but that is not the issue. One cannot blame a presumably hungry man for Killing to eat, and not doing his homework before hand. The tradgedy here is that it was allowed to get down to one, that one remained in China.

You hear and see stories of this all the time, how humans are over fishing, how farmers in africa are poisoning lions, literally anywhere an animal exists in vast quantities man is there to try and wipe them out.

I was recently watching a Discovery Channel program and they were going over the importance of predators to an eco system. They were re-introducing Wolves back into certain controled environments and it stabilized the decline in the other species. The predators keep populations in check and prevent any one species from becoming to grand, which leads to either disease or starvation as they will consume all their resources.

I dont support PETA as i believe they have a good message but a horrible way of delivering it, and they exploited a murder in my Country when a young boy was decapitated they choose it to be an appropriate time to point out how it was not a big deal because it happens to thousands of chickens a day. Now that may be true but common, no one wants to promote a souless organization.

Are any people on here active members of other Animal Rescue groups? I donate to a couple Wildlife reserves in Africa i have visited but it seems so minimal.

I have met some ATS'ers who are avid animal lovers and would like to hear of other venues to educate or support.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

LMFAO! Ok so I have some questions. Why is the LAST Indochina tiger left in the wild? How do they know it was the LAST one? Why would a country that can control its social media leave the LAST tiger in its country roam free by savage villagers? Why wouldn't it be in a national wild life reserve?

Please excuse if these questions are ignorant or come off sarcastic, but I truely want to know..

[edit on 22-12-2009 by ThePeoplesSoldier]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'm scared of only 2 beasts other than my fellow man.

Sharks and tigers.

You seen how quick and predatorial these things are?

Tougher than your average Kitty - even against us:

-m0r

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeoplesSoldier

No not at all those are legit questions, as far as my understanding goes these creatures are very exclusive, this one is the last one they have on record. There MAY be another one out there but as far as what they are aware of this was the last one. To get an idea of how rare it is to see these animals the last photo was taken in 2007. I also saw a program and they were trying to catch one on film for the first time. So keeping track of this kind of animal must be difficult.

Why it was not on a reserve i am not sure, but i imagine like many places reserves are vats and not fenced in, he may have roamed off or they roamed in.

As far as why China was not protecting it, i think one can look at their past animal rights and draw a conclusion based on that. If they ever found out eating North Americans would cure cancer or solve impotence wed all be screwed. That is not intended to be rascist but a refference to the Shark slaughter occuring.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If you knew something was the last of it's kind, wouldn't you protect it better than that? This smacks of more human/bad animal/good, mother earth propaganda.

Peace

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It's sad really.
World Tiger Population Chart

We can only hope that those remaining in captivity can be bred back into a sustainable population....such a beautiful animal.

I'm surprised Chinese Gov. prosecutes in a case like the man from the story....Of course Westerners are taught they are part of the Axis Of Evil and don't care about such....

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Chinese will eat anything if it moves and can be deep fried. I was a technical advisor to the Karen military and have seen them deep fry scorpions. giant grubs and my favortie 8 inch centipedes. Mouc Nam a favorite in the Cho Lon dist in Saigon is spoiled black fisheads mashed into a paste with hot chili peppers. I'm not surprised that they ate the last tiger. Another favorite is the digested waste in pigs intestines they're green and stink like human fecal matter all in a days chow down eh mate?. Oh spoiled catfish entrails and rotten catfish livers are eaten by the elite.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

That Chart is terrifying, when you see numbers like 5,000 left. That was my Highschool, those numbers put it into perspective. Even though some people will see it and think they are doing fine 5,000 is alot. Its not at all when you think of where they used to be.
African Lions are trying to be wiped out as well, and these creatures are so crucial to the ecosystem. This mentality of as long as we save a few in the zoos is crazy because as everyone knows creatures in captivity are shells of what they were, like men in prison for life, they shut off the man part. Lions do the same.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This is a true crime one of staggering proportions that literally has me aghast at the sheer audacity and selfishness involved!

If that was the last Tiger of its kind clearly it should have been killed in a more sporting fashion in the Coliseum for all of Rome’s Glory not just one lowly plebe’s!

Its things like this that our destroying our beloved empire. Oh well I suppose we will have to make do with his public execution, maybe we can fashion a costume for him to wear in the arena out of the tiger’s skin?

Caesar is most displeased!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

hahah i hope everyone gets the humour in that, the world exists for mans amusement.
Yesterday i believe it was Signals asked what was the most wacky conspiracy theory you can think of and i was trying to decide between lizard people and some other out there ones. I dont think its a conspiracy theory more of a mis used fact but how this idea that animals dont feel pain got out and is used as justification if beyond me. Or that they are somehow less intelligent, so it validates us needing them for susbstance since theya re below us on the chain.
Well we are below them on the food chain we are simply more intelligent in certain areas. You watch the skills that some of these animals have and no-human can match them.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

The reality when you look at things like smog and pollution, suicide from stress, mass violence through wars, starvation through utter indifference and inner city congestion just to name a few, claiming man to be the ‘intelligent’ species is quite a stretch in my humble opinion.

Stronger and more dominating yes, more intelligent no, and truly one of the great inherent problems with the world is the ‘might makes right’ mentality that lulls people into thinking superior strength and superior forms of domination make one superiorly intelligent.

When you look at man’s parasitical role in the ecosystem including his role in relation to his fellow man clearly we are the least intelligent species on the planet.

Somewhere along the line man has gotten the notion that he is wiser than nature and every bit as capable of managing the ecosystem as nature and has all but destroyed nature’s laws in favor of man’s social engineered laws that tend to only favor man and most favor only a select few men at the bulk of mankind’s expense.

An achievement, yes, intelligent, no based on the results.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
One single tiger cannot sustain a viable population. The death is tragic, but for the conservation of the indochinese subspecies this last tiger in China was irrelevant. As pointed out by others, the protection of populations and habitats must start much earlier. Here links to sad stories - large predators reinvade European countries and are greeted with bullets:

Polar bears killed in Iceland:
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.sikunews.com...

Brown bear Bruno killed in Germany:
www.spiegel.de...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Screw Jurrasic Park, let's fund Tiger Park. And release an "attack of the clones."

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
S and F.

Great story, but horribly tragic...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This is sad of course. However, if there was only 1 left in the wild, then there wasn't a viable population out there to allow the species to recover anyhow. Maybe they should have released all the ones in captivity....

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thaknobodi
Screw Jurrasic Park, let's fund Tiger Park. And release an "attack of the clones."

I get that its a joke but Tiger Parks should and do exist. They are a wonderful thing, the adavncement for species in Africa IMO counts on one thing. The education of the people on the amount of incoime they can make from eco tourism. It far surpasses any bushmeat money and pelt money. The problem with eco tourism is i find it very encroaching on the animals, i did a few Safaris in Africa and the amount of cars putting around in between heards and mixing with the animals it had a very zoo like feel just your fence came with you. We werent fenced in obviously but the car wont be attacked as long as you dont stand up and identify yourself as an individual. Thats off topic, many of the African countries are starting to realize the beenfit of these eco tourists, as the world shrinks they have an opportuinity to profit off the land.
If this becomes the case the trade off of human encroachment would be accpetable IMO to sustain a somewaht natural way of life.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Agreed the sad part is that a tiger was killed but the tradgic part is that it was allowed to be dwindled down to the last one. Also the person ate it, it makes you wonder that even in that brain lapse of killing the last tiger they didnt even think well enough to sell it and garner much more food. just saying you can see quite a few gaps in logic.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

I agree, and although this is tragic, that pelt would be worth a fortune. He would have ate well for a very long time afterward had he just sold the pelt. Then again if my memory serves me correctly, tiger pelts are illegal to posses in almost the entire world.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Thats true but the black market is an easy venue for such things.
Which gets me thinking, the black market is something never discussed on ATS, one would think an economy shrouded in secrecy that exchanges billions of dollars would be a hot topic here. I for one wont report on it for fear of being killed but hey go nuts people

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join