It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last tiger in China killed and eaten by villagers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Hey there Hack28, as other posters have said already 'if it was the last, then the species would have died anyways' ... but doesn't it just give you a sharp, little jab in the soul to think a whole species has gone ?

And I really don't mean that to come out all new-agey (no offence to any new-agers btw) ... but it is a sad thing imho.

Woody.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

There's the World Wildlife Fund.........

www.worldwildlife.org...

Here's a link for them specific to Canada........

wwf.ca...

Here are a cpl that rescue PMU horses.......

www.pmurescue.org...

www.equineadvocates.org...

For dogs and cats the ASPCA.....

www.aspca.org...

There are so many organizations that help animals and so many animals that need help.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Yeah, more than a jab, as i understand the species survives elsewhere but with decimated numbers maybe 1,000 left. The thing about these Tigers as they were adapted for their climate, their specific climate in china, took however long for them to evolve and adapt to the situation they were in. You cant just release some other animals and they will survive. Adaptation is a trait taught, passed down, not all of the sudden learned.

Your so right though it hits ya with a finality to it all like, man we are still trying to bring back Dinosaurs, how bout we try and keep what we have first. No-one cares about the extintion of an animal unless its insanely adorable (panda) or has a funny name (doo-doo bird). People cant phathom a world that has no tigers or lions so they see it as a non threat.

The mentality of when it gets to the critical point ill do something, like they are expecting an email from the animals saying "okay were pretty much done here so round up 2 of each of us and lets get this bad boy started over."

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Thank-you
I love WWF, the other ones ill have to take a look at. I used to have two horses and lost them both on the same day so i got a little soft spot for horses.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

The way you phrased the 'critical point' senario made me smile ... but it is so true ... as a breed we humans can be so bloody ignorant at times can't we ?

Woody

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
reply to post by ThePeoplesSoldier

If they ever found out eating North Americans would cure cancer or solve impotence wed all be screwed. That is not intended to be rascist but a refference to the Shark slaughter occuring.

If only they would, the world would be a far better place with fewer greedy capitalists sucking up the worlds resources. China's indigenous species survived quite happily along side traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. The threat only started when westerners wanted these traditional "cures" for themselves. If you want to blame anyone for the demise of species, blame the western countries and their vanity (like America), not the Chinese. This is the same crap we get with the Japanese and whaling or the Koreans and meat dogs. It's getting tedious.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by fumanchu]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

It's terrible what they do to horses simply to get some hormones for women that could just as easily use herbs, or synthetic hormones. I'd like to think that if more women knew that their meds came from the torture of horses they would all simply stop using them and put an end to that industry. These beautiful amimals are forced to spend their whole lives pregnant, locked in stalls where they can't even move so their urine can be collected for the hormones.

I believe the humane society also is involved in attempting to rescue these horses. When they go to auctions to buy them if the autioneers find out that they want the horses for rescue they won't sell to them. These people are so cruel they won't even allow the horses to be rescued and live out the rest of their lives free after they've used them all up and are finished with them. I had some info on them years ago when I was researching this, if i come across it I'll post it here for you.

I agree with you about PETA, I like there message and intentions, however I don't approve of many of their tactics.

I'm just a big softy when it comes to all animals, my biggest thing however are the polar bears and the baby seals. Just as you pointed out about the tigers and how they adapted to that enviroment, many people don't understand that it is the same with the polar bear, they had to adapt to live in that area.

I think our greatest chance for helping all animals is to teach our children from a young age to respect all animals and their right to live here in peace, to understand that we are not above them, and that they are all a much needed part of this world . I made sure to teach my sons that, and now my grandchildren.

I'm sorry for the loss of your horses.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The only hope for any larger species is to conserve them via wild life zoos where they can reproduce and have some semblance of freedom...

I actually don't like Zoos personally, nor do I like that people EAT Tigers...

But this is the only chance most large species have these days, technology and humanity together will in time solve out environmental problems and learn to fix allot of the wrongs we are doing, the process is already in the works in many ways...

But nothing will survive this century until we get out act together unless we preserve them in protected places.

Sad but true...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

There is one thing I like about Zoos. If a species is in a Zoo they won't go extinct. (as long as they reproduce in captivity that is)

Anyone here heard about the Africa U.S.A. park? 300 acres in the states where wild African animals roamed free. I'm sure they where happier in the states seeing as that whole worrying about food and water thing goes out the window yet they had 300 acres to roam.

Was closed in 1961.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
I'm scared of only 2 beasts other than my fellow man.

Sharks and tigers.

You seen how quick and predatorial these things are?

Tougher than your average Kitty - even against us:

-m0r
You'd be really screwed if you came across a tiger shark then.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
In Fort Pierce Florida here in the US they filmed the reality show “King of the Jungle” and I guess all the animals brought here for the show are still living in the cow pastures as a animal reserve.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

I didn't read the full article but i hear ya.... it's a shame that some people don't care for wildlife & nature and only care for a stable economy... if people thought a little more about what they are actually doing to these animals habitat and the animals themselves there would be more tigers in the world... not to mention lions, bears, elephants, monkey's etc etc....

I've said it many times here... there are too many people building too many houses... knocking down too many trees.... destroying forests and polluting the seas.... these animals need somewhere to live and eventually they will hunt the man for their habitat back....

I think we need to release the animals from the zoos and give them back to nature... or they need to be protected in larger conservations.

S&F BTW

[edit on 22-12-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

[edit on 22-12-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well, I mean that's a huge shame and everything but if there was only one left it was too late to save the species at that location anyway. Still sad though

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by fumanchu

And what China has no greedy capitalists ?
And when one country accounts for 20% of the world's population, with a population of over 1.3 billion people just how much of the world's resources do you suppose China is sucking up ?

I doubt that centuries ago when the Chinese first started using Tigers for medicinal purposes that there were over a billion people in that country, so I doubt that they had the same impact on the tiger population that they have over say the last century.

Now add to China's population of over 1.3 billion the combined populations of South and north Korea, Vietnam, and Cambodia which is 173 million and now we have almost 1.5 billion people from Asia that like to kill tigers to use their penises as an aphrodisiac. And the numbers are actually higher if you add all of the Asian countries that do the same.

So let's see America 300 million, five Asian countries 1.5 billion people (and more) and it's the western countries like America that are to blame for the demise of the species

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

why on earth would they leave ONE REMAINING tiger unprotected in the first place? sounds bogus to me. they would`ve found a fe/male and tried to mate them. if they didnt do that then the population of tigers would`ve been extinct anyway, because that one remaining Tiger wasnt immortal. so it would be logical to try and breed them to the point where there`d be at least 2 to be able to have offspring and prevent extermination. since they didnt(?) do it the man should be set free- it is the gubment`s or whoever-in-charge`s fault. so basically gummint should prosecute themselves for criminal neglect.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by marsvolta]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Kang Wannian, a villager from Mengla, Yunnan Province, came across the tiger in February while gathering freshwater clams in a nature reserve near China's border with Laos.

Being that this tiger was near the border of China and Laos and there are still some tigers left in the forests of Laos, even though it's a slim chance there was still a remote chance that they may have come into contact and repopulated, even if they had to be helped along by humans.

The Indochinese tiger is on the brink of extinction, with fewer than 1,000 left in the forests of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar.

www.dailymail.co.uk... l

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

I just can't understand the pooacher mentality. They kill endangered species because the hides and other parts are valuable but somehow overlook the fact that the species will be gone if they continue to kill them and so their income will be gone.

It's the same with the silverback, black rhino, african elephant and every other species that is in trouble. The worst part is that people buy these animal parts because they think they look great on a wall, or even worse they buy them to use in unproven medicine.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I guess it's too bad people weren't around to start a fund to save Dinosaurs! Oh yeah, their extinction paved the way for the primates!

Nature paved the way for our species, thus our existence and the environment we have created cannot be unnatural.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I'm scared of only 2 beasts other than my fellow man.

Sharks and tigers.

Tiger Sharks must really give you hives then..

sorry...had 2

Thanks be to Tetragrammaton

Happy ChristmaHoliQuanza

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Tigers are one of my favourite animals. they are absolutely beautiful creatures and masters at disguise.

in certain parts of the world, especially Sumatra, Humans are devastating their environment, and what for?............Palm Oil.

It's sickening.

[img]
[/img]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join