It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question to astrologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I am very ignorant on astrology and I have always wondered something, but never found the answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but astrology is based on where the planets and such are when you are born, on earth. Someday, people are going to be born in space. Say someone was born on the moon or mars, how would you know what sign they were or figure out thier charts? And if you had to change the charts, who would be the authority to say, ok, this is how it is when you are born on marsS

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
LOL!!!

Now that is a great question!
can't wait to see answers to that one.

mrq

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
That's a funny point

Actually, in the sci-fi novel "A Stranger in a Strange Land", by Heinlein, a man is born on Mars. Years later, an astrologer is confused when it's time to do a reading about him, because her charts are based on books written on Earth.

Sorry that doesn't address your question. Really good book though.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That was a great book! I should reread that, havn't read in in years.

mrq

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
DarkBlade,
It's my favorite book actually. Only read it twice, but a third read will happen sometime soon, I hope :-)

Curme,
I was able to find some threads with info re: your question by doing a search for "astrology person born other planet" in Google/Groups.
One of the first hits produced this (pasted below). I know nada about astrology, so I can't vouch for it nor opine re:it's validity. I'm sure you can find more info if you keep searching there.

:::copied from thread in Google/Groups:::
> > Suppose a person is born on the planet Mars (or anywhere else not on
> Earth) How would you cast a horoscope?

You would simply cast it for the place they were born-or you can always
use a heliocentric chart. Horo (time) scope (view). Of course we would
have to learn what Earth in a geometric placement (house) relation to
Mars would reflect about the consciousness of the individual. The
horoscope is the time and place view of unfoldment for anything anywhere
anytime. It is a space/time vibrational frequency chart reflecting an
idea and its unfoldment within the "All That Is".

It is a geometric configuration relative to the place of birth whether
its Saturn or anywhere else makes no difference-except to reinterpret
the difference in the one factor-location.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Wow. I have no clue what they are talking about, but thanks for the info. I know nothing about it too, I just figured that there are so many people of different beliefs on ATS, that somebody would be able to explain it in layman terms. I was reading another thread when that question popped in my head again. I read 'Stranger In A Strange Land" too! Many, many, years ago, but maybe subconsciously it stuck with me. I do remember, vaguely, it's been a long time, when that scientist guy who helped the martian had some chicks working for him. He asked one of them what color a house was, and she said, "Three sides of it are blue" because from that angle she could only see the three sides of it. Not the exact quote, but I loved it because she based her life on facts, not assumptions.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I know a little about astrology but not that much. But reading what was said left me clueless. I know about the houses in a chart ect, I wrote up complete charts for all of my kids a few years back, but the terminology used for the rest of it, I have no friggin idea.

Thats probibly why I never got fully into astrology. I had a book:The Only Astrology Book You Will Ever Need

LOL

It did ok, but I don't put much into astrology, is not my cup-o-tea

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

mrq

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Wow. I have no clue what they are talking about, but thanks for the info. I know nothing about it too, I just figured that there are so many people of different beliefs on ATS, that somebody would be able to explain it in layman terms. I was reading another thread when that question popped in my head again. I read 'Stranger In A Strange Land" too! Many, many, years ago, but maybe subconsciously it stuck with me. I do remember, vaguely, it's been a long time, when that scientist guy who helped the martian had some chicks working for him. He asked one of them what color a house was, and she said, "Three sides of it are blue" because from that angle she could only see the three sides of it. Not the exact quote, but I loved it because she based her life on facts, not assumptions.

Yep, that was one of Jubal Harshaw's "secretaries", I think he called them. One of them was an official 'Witness', who was trained in total and perfect recollection.
Jubal was a really funny character to read.

Maybe someone else on ATS has knowledge of astrology, and can offer you some information about readings done for non-earth natives

Better yet, find a non-earth native and ask 'em where they get their horoscopes done

Good Luck to you!

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by mrq]:

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by mrq]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I had an astronomy class and they briefly described astrology. According to astrology your sign is determined by your date of birth. Astrology was started thousands of years ago and the sun is supposed to be in certain constellations during your date of birth, ie gemini around june, cancer around july etc. However, in the thousands of years since astrology started, the sun is no longer in the same constellations as it used to be.

(Star constellations do move, although it would take thousands of years for us to notice the difference from Earth without computer simulation.) Anyway to make the point, everyone's sign they believe is their sign is actually not correct. The sun is no longer in the star constellation that astrology says is their sign when they are born.

In laymen's terms, astrology doesn't have real science behind it. Maybe it did at one time but it certainly hasn't been updated. I'm sure someone could come up with the same signs etc. on another planet in our solar system since the constellations will remain the same. If you read horoscopes, there might be some useful advice in at least one of the signs but I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
stranger in a strange land... reading that was we speak, actually. just at the part where the police squad comes to harshaw's place... i didn't read any of the other thread in fear of spoiling the book for me...

anyway, back on track. so here's why, no matter where you are born, astrology is crap and meaningless:

1. asterisms (big dipper, summer triangle, etc) and constellations (orion, ursa major, etc) have different meanings in every culture;
  2. precession (change in the angle of the earth's orientation) has moved the sun signs off by about one month. this is because thousands of years ago in ancient egypt and china when the basis of modern astrology was created the north star was vega, as where now it is polaris;
  3. there are 13 constellations on the ecliptic, not 12;
  4. gravity is weak over great distances when it comes to planets, so that has no effect either;

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Chinese Astrology is pretty cool actually. I'm a metal dog...woof woof!!

This type of Dog can be unwavering in his convictions and highly critical of every infraction of the law according to his own interpretation. However, his principles are of highest kind and fundamentally he is noble and charitable. He will give himself to a lifetime of selfless dedication if he finds an object or cause worthy of his devotion. Yet he can be ruthless when aroused and will pursue his enemies until they are annihilated.

The Metal element combined with his lunar sign, which is also governed by Metal, produces a double Metal sign, which is extremely formidable. Orientals call this combination the "Iron Dog" and look upon its year with much apprehension as it could be either very good or very bad, depending on whether it takes on a negative or positive course.

Likewise, the stern and principled Metal Dog will exhibit the same traits and will exercise strong mental discipline over himself and take things very seriously.
His loyalty is unquestionable and he has strong political views. Never indecisive, he will pick a side and never desert his affiliations. Consequently, even though he hates injustice and foul play, this type of Dog can resort to extreme measures when he insists that others subscribe to his views.

www.chinavoc.com...

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Hmmm. I'm fairly certain that Douglas Adams' novel "Mostly Harmless" had a storyline that was similar to this question. A band of aliens lands on one of the outer planets, and observes us. Then (since they couldn't retrieve their own memories) They decided to kidnap an astrologist, because they needed to figure out how to use the astrology, and from their perspective.

Kinda synchronistic, for me.

Neat.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Actually, I earned part of my living years ago as an astrologer, so I can answer this.

Originally posted by curme
I am very ignorant on astrology and I have always wondered something, but never found the answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but astrology is based on where the planets and such are when you are born, on earth. Someday, people are going to be born in space. Say someone was born on the moon or mars, how would you know what sign they were or figure out thier charts?

If you were born on the Moon, they'd use the same tables as for Earth for the Sun and the major planets and would swap Earth for the Moon (you'd figure out what sign the Earth was in. It would take a computer a few minutes to run up a new table of houses. ) You would use a different "chart system," but I'd prefer to not discuss that in any depth because things like the difference in the Placidian system and the Equal Size system are hard to explain and the math will make your eyes water.

For Mars and other planets, you'd have to do a set of planetary tables ("table of houses") based on a system that uses that planet as "home territory" (instead of Earth.) The planets below you in the solar system would appear to hover closely with the sun, so instead of having charts like mine (sun and Venus in Taurus, Mars and Mercury in Aries, Moon in Aquarius and so forth) you'd have planets clustered in a few signs (sun, moon, earth, mercury, venus in Gemini...) The standard interpretations wouldn't change (Sun in Gemini, well aspected, with a cluster of planets, is still a rather chatty configuration.)

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrq

:::copied from thread in Google/Groups:::
> > Suppose a person is born on the planet Mars (or anywhere else not on
> Earth) How would you cast a horoscope?

You would simply cast it for the place they were born-or you can always
use a heliocentric chart. Horo (time) scope (view). Of course we would
have to learn what Earth in a geometric placement (house) relation to
Mars would reflect about the consciousness of the individual.

The post said it better than I did! Thanks for turning that one up!

top topics

join