It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving because of Racial and Ethnic discrimination... where should I move to?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I can't believe all the PC crap going on here, hurt feelings does not constitute a move.
Geez, come on people, don't persuade the OP to move, make him/her stay where they are.

You're only encouraging him/her to run run run whenever they happen to face a difficult situation.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Maybe its the way you dress;
get some cool looking clothes like in Men's Magazines;
and just be friendly with people;
be a cool confident fun leader;

It cant be the whole entire college or city that is racist;
Im thinking its just a couple people;
and who cares about them....
Just do your thing;

The more you talk to people the more of a friend they will become;
and talk to alot of people;

when you walk around be aware of your surroundings always;
look people in the eyes and smile;
never walk around staring at the ground like a victim

[edit on 17-12-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Racism is a pigment of your imagination...

As others have said, wherever you go you'll find racism.

Be it targetted against you/your culture/ethnic group...or from your own culture/ethnic group against another.

Its not so much racism as it is humanism.

Unfortunately sometimes the only skin worth having is a thicker one....

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
Ask yourself if it is really racism or is it poverty and unemployment troubling you. Many white people who are not doing well feel that if they were a minority they would be more employable. If prosperity is the problem you may need a more prosperous country. Think about China.

Perfect example of American style racist rationalization.

Being poor or less fortunate is not a license to aggrieve others.

Foreigners are not taking your prosperity from you, the people you voted for raped you and are telling you it's the minorities/illegals that did it.

In your mind, downtrodden unemployed whites feel if they were a minority they could get a job? which of course justifies racism. Exceptional logic.

I bet if you went and stood in front of home depot you'd get picked first just because you are white. If you are white. But you don't want that job, it's too hard and the pay is dirt. The illegal alien will work his butt off to put a loaf of bread on the table. No benefits, and gets treated like a dog.

My Father in Law was a respected Doctor in Russia, he works at a Dog Shelter caring for Dogs and cleaning their poop. But since he's been here, he's been in college for 10 years, has 2 more degrees, and he's 77.

It wasn't minorities that destroyed the economy it was the elite ruling class.
Mostly white people in fact. and Wars for profit.

I don't care if you are a bigot because I'm not afraid of you. I'm better than you. I can defeat you at every turn because I'm right and you are wrong.

I pay the taxes used for your benefits or subsidies, I came from another land at 11, legally. Went to work selling Hot Dogs on Broadway for peanuts. Worked full time when in High School, held every crappy job you can think of, worked my way through college, got a M.Sc., then a PhD.

Raised a family, 5 kids, all working or in School, worked 2 jobs, took in and supported my parents when they got old.

I worked for the GOV for years, started my own business, I live well, and I owe you nothing, not even an explanation. This land is my land, you want it, come and take it from me. I'm ready for you.

My suggestion to downtrodden racist whites is not allowed by T.O.S. so I'll just say, you go to China, and good riddance, Or stop sobbing and get a crappy job like the aliens you are so afraid of do.

You say you are white, or you seem to speak for whites. I'm of European origins, as white or whiter than you but for me, it's not an anchor. Skin color means nothing. Nationality means nothing. You sure as hell don't speak for me. Character is everything. It's your actions that define what you are.

Where you find yourself in life, at any time, is the direct result of you putting yourself there. No matter what color you are, or where you originate from.

Aliens is exactly what this country needs to go into the future. Neo-natives (white people) have grown complacent, lazy and arrogant. America is not for solipsistic wimps. I see posts here from apparently intelligent people saying the dumbest things I have ever read.

I read fantasies about revolutions being regurgitated by dweebs that would soil their pants at the first shot fired their way. I read rants about Obama's policies and shortcomings that are more transparent than oxygen. Let's face it folks most of Obama haters are just not happy that there is a Black President.

Sure the US is in the crapper right now. We are broke, overextended militarily and divided. The Democrats and Republicans are not worth a plugged nickel, and the Tea-Baggers are mentally challenged.

This "CENTRIST" President is trying to save the US from certain destruction caused by a disastrous administration, multiple Wars that are the direct result of our actions, and the financial consequences of rampant greed, and manipulation by the Elite.

If you stack the deck, and then you call the guy a loser, who are you lying to? Him? Obama knows the score.

You are lying to yourself.

Ziggy

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith

Just because your not white does not make this comment of yours any less racist!

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Izarith]

Dude!

Been there. Not impressed.

I am white, and not P.R.
F.Y.I there are white Puerto Ricans.
Puerto Rican is a Nationality not a race.

and of course, being from NY.

RED SOX SUCK

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Maybe the best place to go is your home country. I don't mean this in a negative or racist way. You might feel generally more happy and comfortable being around people who are more like yourself. You are less likely to be the victim of racism and discrimination if you are amongst others who are similar to you in race, colour, ethnicity or religious belief.

As others have pointed out, minority groups anywhere are likely to face racism and discrimination in some capacity. This is human nature.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Jeez! How long was I gone? I go to Wendy's for a double baconator and come back to like 45 replies? THANK YOU SO MUCH! I feel so special!

No really though, I truly appreciate all of your help, and in the time that I took a shower and got food and generally did some thinking for a couple hours, I think I'm gonna man up and stay where I am and finish this academic year of college. Just to let you know, I am currently in Oregon, and that is where the discrimination occurred. By the way, I am a Hawaii native, just in case you were wondering. A couple quick examples of the type of discrimination:

-On many occasions, I have noted this happening to me at crosswalk signals(the ones where you push the button and flashing lights come on telling vehicles to stop). The first time this happened I was the only pedestrian, and 3 out of the 4 lanes stopped for me. But the guy in the 4th lane saw me, and decided to ZOOM past me. It startled me and I flipped him off and screamed "F-ing HAOLE!"

Now this may sound like an isolated incident, but its not. The particular town I live in is about 95% All-American Whites. The other 5% are minorities, and when a certain part of the white population sees a minority, they like to lash out at them in very subtle, but mean ways. I talked to a white friend about this and he was like, "oh yeah I see that all the time. Next time you are by a crosswalk, observe how the drivers treat whites, compared to Hispanics." So I did this, and I have personally watched the crosswalks around town and have seen this happen to other minorities when they cross the road, and it has happened to me a couple more times.

When white people cross the road, they get treated with respect... and its not just the crosswalks. Restaurants will refuse to serve minorities, and I got told by someone the places I should not go because they will discriminate. I get stares all the time by people, and you might say its the way I dress or whatever, but I know the stare. They have this certain look in their eyes that I have learned to spot. Also, it's really funny, sometimes people will be surprised at how good my English is, and I have had Hispanics talk to me in Spanish thinking I was from Mexico!

Overall, it is what it is, and I can handle. I will have to get used to it. But, I am still planning on going on another transfer program after this academic year is done, so I would still love some suggestions on places I could go where people of a different ethnic background are treated well.

once again, thanks for the help, and thanks to everyone who knows what I'm talking about when it comes to certain types of Americans.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CaninE.G

It's in the avatar. Come here, we are only one of the best countries in the world! It's like being in America, just without all the junk and health care you can afford. Plus, the government generously gives out student loans and offers several tax incentives in your post-University years.

I'm about to start a patriotic flame war, now aren't I?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Canada has always interested me... I will put that on my top 5 picks list. star for you Canadian!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaninE.G
Canada has always interested me... I will put that on my top 5 picks list. star for you Canadian!

Thank you sir. I can assure you that the University experience up here could not be any easier. The Government has granted me a large sum of money to take care of my expenses for the entire school year, thus I don't have to work (and can still afford a car) and concentrate on my studies. To make it even easier, you don't have to pay back your loans until you complete your degree! Of course, this could result in a massive debt load once you complete school if you're not careful.

As for racial integration, Canada is one of the most diverse countries in the world! Over one third of the population of my large University is of Asian decent, but the general population of the city is Caucasian! There are many different types of people in school, and the more diversity there is, the better! I would like to think that we treat people of different cultures and backgrounds very kindly and highly valued up here. Virtually every race is accepted with positive reception!

Except gangsters. No one likes them. For a good reason. Pull up your pants already...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Canada was actually one of my top 4 picks when I originally wanted to go on a transfer program. It was Oregon, Amsterdam, Japan, or Canada! Yeah, Canada sounds like a really cool place, and it sounds like I would have a pretty good time over there. Thank you for the info!

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I agree with For(Home)Country. Canada would be the place. Especially Eastern Canada. If you want a big city, maybe Toronto but there is some Racism there. New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nova Scotia would all be good. We tend to take things more laid back. Also there are good Universities down here but you might have to get used to the cold and snow. We tend to have long winters and short summers. Halifax winters aren't that bad. We'd welcome you with open arms.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

man go to houston, dallas or Austin. Here in texas. Some of the backwater hillbilly towns will go KKK on you but the big cities dont give a rats *** where you are from. All anyone here cares about is "have you killed someone? Have you robbed someone"? Here in Dallas, everyone is mean to everyone. No one is targeted. People here are just generally a** hats.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

First off, Grow up When a driver decides to not stop in your behalf even though it is the law, you don't flip them off and yell expletives.

Rudeness doesn't justify rudeness.

I would like you to come down to NYC and some of the burbs and pull that stunt.

I don't want to hear about blaming it on racism and and always the white guy, poor and rich. This is for the insecure and jealous.

I don't care what color you are nor do I measure the man by his wallet.

The most intelligent and best professor I had in college(Busines School).

He wasn't the best Black professor I ever had, He was the best professor I ever had. period. There is no difference in my eye.

Read the last part again so as it will sink in thin and thick skulls.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
PRS395, you are very right. Rudeness should not be returned with rudeness. Good call, and I see what you mean about the possibility of people pulling their car over and beating me up after wards. Thank you for that tip.

But really though, the main point of this thread is that I am interested in seeing where people say could possibly be a good fit for me, where i won't be discriminated against as much. That is really my main question.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I haven't read every post but I have found that most of Los Angeles is a fairly accepting city with plenty of good schools and some decent work available.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Quite honestly, you sound like you are whining. Man up and stick with it. Let's hear how bad it's been for you in the U.S. for the last half a year.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by pavil]

Says the white man who has never experienced discrimination on the basis of the color of his skin

[edit on 18-12-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Hi, Brother C.

I don't understand. If you are a native of Hawaii, then you are a citizen of the United States, and so, being in Oregon, you are in "your country."

Anyway, it sounds like you gave as good as you got in that traffic thing. I notice you went right for the "race card" yourself (although of course haole isn't in currency on the mainland). But, hey, I flip off orifices-on-wheels, too.

If you'd like to go somewhere that treats all pedestrians equally, then I would suggest Massachusetts. Drivers there subscribe to the motto "Kill them all and let God sort 'em out."

Alternatively, stay where you are and learn offensive pedestrianship. Invest a few dollars and buy a white cane with a red tip.

Or, since you're a psychologist-in-the-making, you can look up the game theoretic solutions (just turn your head the other way and keep walking straight ahead... however much the driver may hate you, front-end work is expensive).

I had to laugh at Amsterdam. Yes, it is a very nice place, but any pedestrian who wanders into a bike lane will be hurt. Interesting, though, to choose a place whose heritage includes Pacific colonialism

The ultimate solution is Dartmouth. There is money for Hawaiian natives of color, which reflects the school's original mission - as a mission. It is as secular today as any of the other Ivies (many of them are former religious schools, too), but portions of the endowment date back to the beginning, and by the magic of compound interest... you get the picture.

The location is the New Hampshire-Vermont border, both states being places where drivers stop for all pedestrians.

Check it out. You may be glad you did.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by eight bits]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Dear oh dear I am very sorry to hear of your discrimination I have been doing alot of studying similar to this in Spain and the sad conclusion is, you cannot escape it.

The reason being is that there will be racist people everywhere you go it is,unfortunately, human nature, there are too many reasons to list why racism occurrs however,

My advice I would give you is ignore the behaviour from others and try to find a group of like minded individuals that you can be yourself in. Also try to blend in even though you have your culture and beliefs I believe that it is essential not only for yourself but all migrants/immigrants that move to a new country/place to adapt and intergrate in to society without drawing attention to themselves.

Its a difficult situation and something that cannot be achieved unless people change their way of thinking by doing so people would have to switch off their TV'S, Radios and not buy Newspapers. I can't see that happening any time soon.

Peace

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmoviefan
I haven't read every post but I have found that most of Los Angeles is a fairly accepting city with plenty of good schools and some decent work available.

You're joking, right??

Unless because some people (idjits) mistake him as an Hispanic you think he'd blend in with the real Hispanics....
He's cute enough, smart enough & enlightened enough to be accepted ANYWHERE as evidenced by his posts but PLEASE don't lure him to LA...land of the false and fake....I know since I live in the area!!

And I agree with Canada as a good choice too!

[edit on 12/18/2009 by SmokeyDawn]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join