It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving because of Racial and Ethnic discrimination... where should I move to?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I recently came to America on a college transfer program. During those 5 months, I was severely discriminated against by the white people in America. I know for a fact it is because I have a mixed ethnic background, and for some reason, people in America think I am an illegal immigrant from Mexico! It's so ridiculous. I am currently on winter break, and am planning on going to college somewhere else now. Does anyone know anywhere on this earth where I will be accepted as a person of mixed ethnic background and not be discriminated against for my race and skin color?

Edit to add: hey, I just wanted to say that I did not abandon this thread. Go to page 3 to see my comeback!

[edit on 17-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

[edit on 18-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Unfortunately i can't help you out.

However i am really sorry you've had to put up with that.

I would suggest standing tall and not moving. If you leave you're probably giving the racists what they want.

Also i'd say, don't consider all Americans to be racists, after what you've experienced. When i've met Americans they've been some of the friendliest and most helpful people. I would like to think it's just a minority.

Sadly though there are racists in every society.

[edit on 17/12/09 by Kram09]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CaninE.G

I have to ask... where are you from?

And Where did you go where you had such problems?

And what was the nature of the discrimination?

Where you are from matters in answering the question because simply, the USA has a wide variety of places and cultures, some places no one would care given one ethnicity others you might be loved so it's pertinent to answering this...

Where you went, is a curiosity and most of the above pertains...

And what happened, well, that's just finishing your story for sake of understanding it.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Don't come here to Alabama this place is the last to get over anything or allow anything besides being able to own guns. No lottery, takes forever to get alcohol outside of the major cities, no gambling, race issues, list goes on and on, oh yeah major meth cookers everywhere

Also Artur Davis a black man is running for Gov. in 2010 and their going nuts about it sad stuff

I think he do some good for the state here if he got it

[edit on 17-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Quite honestly, you sound like you are whining. Man up and stick with it. Let's hear how bad it's been for you in the U.S. for the last half a year.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by pavil]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaninE.G
I recently came to America on a college transfer program. During those 5 months, I was severely discriminated against by the white people in America. I know for a fact it is because I have a mixed ethnic background, and for some reason, people in America think I am an illegal immigrant from Mexico! It's so ridiculous. I am currently on winter break, and am planning on going to college somewhere else now. Does anyone know anywhere on this earth where I will be accepted as a person of mixed ethnic background and not be discriminated against for my race and skin color?

Mars.
Because no matter where you go, your going to find racism.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
For Christ's sake bud, get back on that horse that's trying to knock you down, and quit with the self pity.

I've been discriminated against myself simply because I used to speak a lot more Spanish than I do now, and I was born in these here United States of America by golly. Those feelings just rolled off my back and never once did I feel sorry for myself.

The world will not wait for the timid., it's all about confidence and what you contribute to society.
So screw them and just do your best. People can be cruel sure but they will stop once you can prove what you can do, no matter what language you speak.

You already speak English, which is more than I can about some people that come from Asian countries and prove themselves in a hurry.

If you have a thick accent, work on your diction and pronunciation.

BTW, it's not racism because Mexican/Hispanic is not a race, it's an ethnic group.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Ptttttttttth

Come on man...

Don't ask a question and then log off without covering the story...

Rule no 1

Post a thread and be prepared to be around for at least an hr...

siiiiiiighhhhhh

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

My girlfriend has dealth with the same crap and accusations even having never been anything but a U.S. citizen. Some have admitted they don't even care once they found out she's native. For many it's simply about bashing minorities, using illegal immigration as a cover.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any place any of her family members live in the contiguous 48 that is totally free of it (Michigan, Arizona, New York). I really don't know which is truely the best one of those, perhaps Arizona, but I never directly asked anyone to compare. All of those have proven survivable, most people not being utterly retarded.

The best thing she's done is find good people, personally or in a work environment, that will stick up for her and just being plain emotionally strong.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I hate to say this, but racism is prevalent everywhere in the world. I am not sure where you are from or your ethnic background, but I am sure that if someone who doesn't look like most people from your area, moves there, they will be looked upon with some skeptism. Notice I did not say racism. Are you completely sure these people are ignorant racists? Or do you feel the stigma of differing from most of the population where you currently live?

If you are being severely mistreated because of your race it is possible you will fall under the protection of civil rights violation laws.

Regardless of the outcome, I agree partially with another poster, stand up for yourself, you will be a stronger human for it. Don't run away. What if Gandhi had ran away? What if Martin Luther King Jr. had ran away? What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger...

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Dookie Master]

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Dookie Master]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes, come to Hawaii. We are almost all mixed race here and nobody cares if you are Mexican, African, or Caucasian. If any racists comes here, they quickly move because they get their ass kicked. Anyways, if you move here I recommend UH Manoa. Its a nice college.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Ptttttttttth

Come on man...

Don't ask a question and then log off without covering the story...

Rule no 1

Post a thread and be prepared to be around for at least an hr...

siiiiiiighhhhhh

So far the ticker says 18 minutes. The OP could be on the pot or something. Geez.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Can't help you with getting away from it, but you could always go to SoCal. Every one hates everyone equally there. The Mexicans hate the blacks, the blacks hate the whites, the whites hate the Asians the asians hate the mexicans, and the more diverse a neighborhood is the worse it gets. Since whites are the minority in many areas, and your problem was with the white people you could just switch it up to another race discriminating against you. Don't forget no matter what your gender and sexual orientation is, you'll get discriminated against for that too.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
look for "melting pot" areas if you know what i mean.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaninE.G
Does anyone know anywhere on this earth where I will be accepted as a person of mixed ethnic background and not be discriminated against for my race and skin color?

I'm really sorry you've experienced so much discrimination. What the others say is true, though. Most people are discriminated against for one reason or another, even if it isn't race, there's gender, disability, sexual orientation, weight, religion or general looks, whatever.

Your best bet would be to learn to deal with it. It's about THEM, not you. So there's not much you can do about it. The next best thing would be to move to a more progressive area in (for example) San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR, New York, NY or Seattle, WA.

Ooh! Forgot about Hawaii! Great suggestion!

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
[ For many it's simply about bashing minorities, using illegal immigration as a cover.

Yeah, that is why Blacks have the biggest problems with Illegal Immigrants, I guess because they are simply looking to "Bash Minorities". What a ludicrous assumption.

As or the "Racism" issue, this sounds like a trolling thread. Racism exists ALL over the world, and anyone who thinks that the United States is somehow the gate keeper or sole purveyor of such, is ignorant themselves. As a matter of fact, the U.S. is among the most accepting of countries upon this Planet, and I know it for a fact. 90% of my friends are Immigrants, most first generation, and they never understand these claims that people consistently toss about in regards to "Racism" in this nation.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Move to Miami that's where I live, its awesome, barely anyone here is racist, get more info on Miami, best place in Miami is Kendall.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

No no no, the quote goes, what doesn't kill me, only pisses me off. Get it right.
I'm very pale and the way I look at it, is unless you are an albino everyone's skin is darker than mine, even most whites. We all have different shades of skin, but the true problem lies in the culture war. When a black person tells someone to stop acing like a white man, or a white person tells someone to stop acting like a black person, what they are really referring to is the culture associated with that race. Therein lies the problem IMO.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Move to Houston. Being Hispanic(or even looking hispanic) and educated will work in your favor in that city. The economy is your worst enemy at this time.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
Yes, come to Hawaii. We are almost all mixed race here and nobody cares if you are Mexican, African, or Caucasian. If any racists comes here, they quickly move because they get their ass kicked. Anyways, if you move here I recommend UH Manoa. Its a nice college.

I disagree. Having lived in Hawaii for nearly 25 years, I can say that there is racism here as well. In fact, there are certain areas of each island that you do not want to get lost in if you are the wrong color. Get away from the tourist areas (because they have to be nice to get your money) and the racism is there, especially towards haoles (white people from the mainland US).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join